autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1414
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

  1. #1401
    Senior Member Mantilgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Boonsboro, Md
    Posts
    2,128

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Siwalsh06 View Post
    Hey guys i hope someone can answer me soon. I saw this post and decided to try it. My headlights were wet sanded and buffed n polished about r months ago didnt seal them with anything. Well they are already cloudy. So i found this post and gave it a try. I compounded and polsihed the headlights then applied the mixture. Came out great. Well this morning after the dew wore off the headlights they looked horrible. Really streaky. I dont understand why. What did i do wrong? During the day after i applied it the streaks disappered and the headlight looked great. Not its crap. I was able to rub it all off this morning with just a microfiber towel and some pressure. I mixed the stuff in those lil dixie cups. Idk if thts makes a difference. I read something about them on one of the pages. But can anyone help?
    Was the cup you mixed it in paper or plastic. The paper ones have a wax coating on them that may have been dissolved and mixed in with your product.

    Another thing if you are using the Spar method, do not compound or polish after sanding. The urethane needs some roughness to hold on to. It should fill the sanding scratches and leave them unnoticeable.
    ____________
    "The more answers I seek, the more questions I find."

  2. #1402
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Was the cup you mixed it in paper or plastic. The paper ones have a wax coating on them that may have been dissolved and mixed in with your product.

    Another thing if you are using the Spar method, do not compound or polish after sanding. The urethane needs some roughness to hold on to. It should fill the sanding scratches and leave them unnoticeable.
    Yes it was a paper cup. I got plastic ones now. And so your saying just went sand it. Then wipe it down with either alcohol or the mineral spirits. Then apply the mixture? No need to buff compound on it? Or buff polish on it?

  3. #1403
    Senior Member Mantilgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Boonsboro, Md
    Posts
    2,128

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    Yes, just sand.

    If you compound and/or polish the surface will be too smooth. It will be more likely to flake or peel off.
    ____________
    "The more answers I seek, the more questions I find."

  4. #1404
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Yes, just sand.

    If you compound and/or polish the surface will be too smooth. It will be more likely to flake or peel off.
    Ah ok so thts why my headlights turned out like that then bc it had nothinf to grab to. Well since my headlights are already clean shoukd i just sand mine with like 2000? And then use rhe spar mix?

  5. #1405
    Senior Member Rsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,090

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Siwalsh06 View Post
    Ah ok so thts why my headlights turned out like that then bc it had nothinf to grab to. Well since my headlights are already clean shoukd i just sand mine with like 2000? And then use rhe spar mix?
    Be sure to wipe down with IPA before coating.

  6. #1406
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Be sure to wipe down with IPA before coating.
    Yeah i do. I also heard yu can usr the mineral spirts to wipe it down to

  7. #1407
    Senior Member Mantilgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Boonsboro, Md
    Posts
    2,128

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Siwalsh06 View Post
    Ah ok so thts why my headlights turned out like that then bc it had nothinf to grab to. Well since my headlights are already clean shoukd i just sand mine with like 2000? And then use rhe spar mix?
    I'm not a painter and I'm not totally positive on what grit would give you the best combination of adhesion and clarity. I'm pretty sure it's discussed somewhere in this thread.

    I think around 1000 would work well. Fine enough to be easily concealed, but rough enough to give it some bite.

    I use spar urethane on wood working projects and sand with either 220, or 400 grit between coats. I am using it straight though.
    ____________
    "The more answers I seek, the more questions I find."

  8. #1408
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I'm not a painter and I'm not totally positive on what grit would give you the best combination of adhesion and clarity. I'm pretty sure it's discussed somewhere in this thread.

    I think around 1000 would work well. Fine enough to be easily concealed, but rough enough to give it some bite.

    I use spar urethane on wood working projects and sand with either 220, or 400 grit between coats. I am using it straight though.
    Ill just drop down to a 1000, 1500, an 2000 on mine bc ima have to get tht stuff off now and then use the urethane

  9. #1409
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    So i started with 800 just to get the old uv off. Then went to 1500 then 3000. Didntt have 2000. And i just did a quick pass on 3000. After that i wiped it down with IAP and then the spar mixture. It is clear for sure but im mot sure if its the scratches i can see or if its the lines from the uv. Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea-20170112100454jpgHeadlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea-20170112100457jpg

  10. #1410
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    261

    Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

    I like the idea of the yacht varnish. Can you mix it 50/50 with mineral spirits?
    I just checked the U.S. price on Amazon, Wow! $65.00 a can. It has to be cheaper somewhere else.

Page 141 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Headlight Restoration
    By gordster1122 in forum Show N' Shine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2015, 10:27 PM
  2. DP Headlight Restoration Kit vs Mothers NuLens Headlight Renewal
    By RobertJ34 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-30-2014, 09:02 AM
  3. Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea** Summary**
    By ShineTimeDetail in forum Show N' Shine
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 09:47 AM
  4. Headlight Restoration: BMW 520
    By fishbonezken in forum Show N' Shine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 06:45 PM
  5. Headlight restore application method idea
    By websdown in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» April 2017

262728293031 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 123456