autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 136 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3686126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1420
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

I used 600,800,1000,1500,2000,300 grit sandpaper. I used mineral spirits to clean the residue off let it dry. And can back with the Spar mix. It was everything yellowed, jazzy, and foggy prior to me doing it. I'm trying to see if there is some sort of polish out there I can apply before using the Spar mix to give it a better shine.

Post Thanks / Like

As was noted a few posts ago, you need to leave some "tooth" for the Spar. Are you sure you spent enough time at the higher grits to remove the scratches from the lower grits? The problem is you may leave some 600 grit scratches that if you don't get them out with the 1000 (BTW, 600 and 800 are too close, you don't need to use both of them, use one or the other), they will stay there and won't come out unless you spend forever with the 1500. A trick (I think from Mike Phillips) for sanding is to alternate directions when you change grit, it makes it easier to see when you've removed the scratches from the previous step--easier said than done on something shaped like a headlight.

The other thing of course is simply did you remove enough material to correct the headlight, and whether it is actually too far gone to be correctable, or in some cases there may be some condensation/residue on the INSIDE which of course you won't be able to "clear up" by working on the outside.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok sweet I'll do that. I wasn't changing directions. I think that will let me know why it's still foggy thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

GlassWeld instructions say 2000 is fine, but I've found better results continuing from 2000 to 3000. It adds to the costs, but I like the results.
    Francesco

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    GlassWeld instructions say 2000 is fine, but I've found better results continuing from 2000 to 3000. It adds to the costs, but I like the results.
    Thank you.

Do you prefer IPA vs MS for the wiping prior to coating? I know IPA is a water magnet and evaporates quicker. Which one is better to remove the GlassWeld if you make a mistake?

Post Thanks / Like

IPA for both. I use straight up IPA from the dollar store (70, 90 or 99%, whatever I have on hand). I suppose you could dilute it as low as 15-20% with deionized water but that doesn't make it much cheaper.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Gents, I know we have all tried several methods to get a KEEP our headlights looking clean and clear .....always tried to fight doing that first sand/polish because I knew that subsequent polishing would be needed to keep my headlights looking new, but my 335i headlights were starting to look a lil tired so I decided to experiment just as many of you have but decided to try something I had not seen in the dozens of pages in this thread....the somewhat controversial product Wipe New...but I decided to get my headlights clean and crispy clear before using it so dry/wet sand, followed by FG400 and finishing polish...Wipe New seems to fill in the defects on bad headlights, was hoping it would dry clean and clear and just be a layer of protection on restored headlights ....below are before and after pics....been over a month and headlights still look great....I will update the thread pics in another month or so for those interested....I figured for $9...it was worth a shot....

Post Thanks / Like

"Supposedly this UV sealer is the same as some professional headlight restoration companies are selling, but with a bigger price tag.(have no proof, just was told by others trying this method who have spent big bucks on pro kits.)"-

I bought the 4Everclear UV headlight coating before I heard of this. When I put it on a towel and smelled it, it smelled just like a urethane clear I used on a walking staff I carved. I'll bet it is the exact thing you described here.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that took a week to read through, from page one. Where did HotRod go?

I did my second set of headlights today. The time it took me was way too long, but I think part of that was I was using the wrong MS. Bought the Green ECO stuff from home depot and it made it difficult to get streak free wipes or bubble free wipes. The car owner was happy with the results either way, but I think it would be easier not to use that stuff. Anywho, thanks for the thread folks! Been a good read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by headlightnewbie View Post
    This was the post I was referring to about streaking, where the lights came out great, but a few months later the streaking appeared.
    Jeff did you chalk that up to not applying a thick enough coating, or not curing with the actual UV light?
    Are you still using Glasweld Gclear with the UV light these days or have you moved on to another product/method?

I was wondering if someone brought their car to a car wash (or did it themselves) that used a chemical to clean the lights could that be the cause of streaks months later? I want to give warranty, but if that is the case how would you be able to tell the difference between your work failing, and someone "dissolving" it?

I included this more recent post just to get your opinion as well USMCPAB on my question/theory.
    I honestly don't know. It was in the middle of summer and I remember it being really hot that day(upwards of 100°) so Im sure it cured really quick. always do a proper ipa wipdown with a clean towel before applying the gclear so i doubt its that. Also it didn't happen till around 2 months later so I doubt it was anything that I did. I've done a bunch of lights since then and haven't really had any other problems like that so Im gonna anaylze it too much. There is alot that could have caused the streaks but its rare

Page 136 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3686126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast