autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

It was 197 for the light and 45 for 8oz (15+ cars) of coating. The rest was shipping. It was $80 for 16 oz (32+ cars) or $150 for a quart (65+ cars). I dunno why the oz/cars don't exactly correlate.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the glass weld before and as far as streaking goes, that's more or less on how much product you're using as well as the pressure applied on the applicator to lens itself. I did like the fact that after sanding down with 2000 grit that you just apply the gw, allow it to flash, then cure it with the UV light. There's just a bit of a learning curve to reduce the streaks. Also make sure it's applied in a dust free environment. My only other gripe with this product is that it sometimes can leave a bit of a tacky finish instead of a smooth finish you get sand/polish/sealant combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usmcpab View Post
    My only other gripe with this product is that it sometimes can leave a bit of a tacky finish instead of a smooth finish you get sand/polish/sealant combo.
    That sounds like a curing problem, sounds like more positions with the light needed (and more time)?

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ That's exactly it. Environmental conditions, like with any urethane, play one part. I've had just one lens with this problem but I was working in a damp garage in poor lighting, and didn't quite get it dry enough after wet sanding and IPA wiping. I saw water drops on the bumper after applying the Gclear and smacked myself in the head. It can be corrected with IPA if you catch it before the UV cure, but after five minutes under the lamp you have to let it gas for a day or so before wet sanding and coating again. Overall I'm extremely satisfied. Eleven months since I started using Gclear and all the lenses I've seen look the same as when I did them.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Overall I'm extremely satisfied. Eleven months since I started using Gclear and all the lenses I've seen look the same as when I did them.
    I have to say that I think I've had the same result with Opti-Lens--it's shortly after that you start to think "is that lens starting to look a little yellow?" and by a year and a half you know they are yellow, and by two years they're clouding up (I'm working with a small sample of lenses, so others experience may vary).

I may give the Gclear a shot, but since I just bought some more Opti-Lens I'm thinking of sticking with that right now, maybe 3 coats to start and a top-off coat every 6 months. Of course I have that luxury since I have access to most of the cars I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I have to say that I think I've had the same result with Opti-Lens--it's shortly after that you start to think "is that lens starting to look a little yellow?" and by a year and a half you know they are yellow, and by two years they're clouding up (I'm working with a small sample of lenses, so others experience may vary).

I may give the Gclear a shot, but since I just bought some more Opti-Lens I'm thinking of sticking with that right now, maybe 3 coats to start and a top-off coat every 6 months. Of course I have that luxury since I have access to most of the cars I do.
    how many pairs of headlights do you think you can coat with 10CC of opti-lens? With the g-clear i was able to ~95 cars(or 190 headlights) with the 16ounce bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ That's exactly it. Environmental conditions, like with any urethane, play one part. I've had just one lens with this problem but I was working in a damp garage in poor lighting, and didn't quite get it dry enough after wet sanding and IPA wiping. I saw water drops on the bumper after applying the Gclear and smacked myself in the head. It can be corrected with IPA if you catch it before the UV cure, but after five minutes under the lamp you have to let it gas for a day or so before wet sanding and coating again. Overall I'm extremely satisfied. Eleven months since I started using Gclear and all the lenses I've seen look the same as when I did them.
    So far its been holding up pretty well for me too but not perfect. ive had a few complaints/redues and giving a year warranty with the G clear is still pretty risky IMO. Interesting the lights you coated dont have any visible signs of degradation after 11 months. Thats incredibly good. What state do you live in again? I also wasn't using the curing lamp when i coated the lights, but according to Glasweld the curing lamp wasn't necessary since the sun can cure the lights also. The light i restored from the junkyard and coated with Gclear is starting to get hazy again its been about 8-9 months.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in eastern Canada, where we get extreme winters and fairly extreme summers, and lots of severe "environmental" conditions (road chemicals, bugs, dirt and acid rain).

I think the curing lamp helps to a degree, but I'm willing to concede that it likely has more to do with the base. I sand off all the old coating, starting at 320 or 500 and progressing through 800, 1200, 2000 and sometimes 3000 before IPA and coating. Start to finish including masking and cleanup takes me about 45 minutes per lens.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in eastern Canada, where we get extreme winters and fairly extreme summers, and lots of severe "environmental" conditions (road chemicals, bugs, dirt and acid rain).

I think the curing lamp helps to a degree, but I'm willing to concede that it likely has more to do with the base. I sand off all the old coating, starting at 320 or 500 and progressing through 800, 1200, 2000 and sometimes 3000 before IPA and coating. Start to finish including masking and cleanup takes me about 45 minutes per lens.
    i do pretty much the same thing and the lights turn out great. im certain im removing 99% of the coating with every restoration so i doubt thats the problem. Its possible im just not using enough coating for each light and thats why the streaks were appearing to being with. Either way i think im gonna bite the bullet and order the UV cure lamp just to see if it makes a difference. Probably wont do much but i guess its worth the investment if it can potentially cure it better and make it last longer.

Also, what kind of sander are you using? ive been using a drill for sometime(which works pretty well) but im thinking about getting something a little bit higher quality. Everything ive been reading points towards a pnematic DA sander for optimal results. Only problem with that is id have to carry around and be constantly refilling an air compressor. Do you think the air tools are worth the cost/hassle for the job or is there another/better option besides using a hand drill or air tools?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff79 View Post
    how many pairs of headlights do you think you can coat with 10CC of opti-lens? With the g-clear i was able to ~95 cars(or 190 headlights) with the 16ounce bottle.
    You'd never get anywhere near that many on a syringe of Opti-Lens. Maybe you guys misunderstood me before, Opti-Lens looks fine for about a year and you think you have a long-term solution, and then it goes south quickly after that.

Page 134 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3484124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142 LastLast