autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

OK, doesn't seem to be much activity on this thread as there once was but I am going to do my best to document my project if nothing more than for my own sake.

I had a chance to remove the spar coating from the "bad" headlight and polish it in preparation for another go with the spar/ms mix. This time I purchased a can of liquid spar as referenced in the beginning of the thread instead of trying to use the spray. don't know if this is going to make any difference. Also, using new, clean glass containers to mix up the spar/ms. Finally, bought the blue scott towels.

This morning had a chance to give it a go. Prep'd the surface by wiping down with ipa. Mixed up my spar/ms to a 7:3 ratio. Folded up my scott towel, dipped in and began to apply.

First thing I noticed is that the coating is much more striated than when I previously used the foam brush. My understanding is that these disappear as the coating settles. Striations aside, I was not happy with the evenness of the coating. So much so I wiped it off with scott towel and ms. Just didn't look right.

I still had a clean foam brush so I mixed up some more spar/ms mix and reapplied using the foam brush. The coating was very even and no sign of the milky areas which appeared in my previous attempt. I looked it over to make sure I didn't miss any areas and after a minute or two considered it a coating I was willing to let dry. I post up some pics tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

If you were using the spray previously, and in cool, damp weather, it is possible that evaporation of the volatile carrier in the spray caused localized lowering of the temperature, causing moisture in the air to condense and cause cloudiness.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, drum roll please...

I am very happy with the results. Absolutely no milky areas and near perfect uniform coating. GP49, you may be right. I may never know exactly why I was getting that milky look but at least now I can move on in my headlight project.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

does it take off swirl marks off too.. my rear and head lights got small swirls on it.

Post Thanks / Like

It will virtually eliminate them

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So i skimmed through a lot of this thread but I'm stumped. Where can I find solvent based Helmsman Spar Urethane in California, specifically Orange County region? Or does anyone know a reliable site that will sell it by the quart?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

You probably can't buy that in CA due to VOC restrictions.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which site can I buy it from? I don't wanna order one and has it being water bases aha

Post Thanks / Like

I do believe that "Ace Hardware" sells it. At least my local one does. I just noticed 'that' yesterday.

But, if it is a no-no in California, they probably cannot legally sell it, or offer it for sale there.

Maybe Amazon?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewldetail View Post
    So i skimmed through a lot of this thread but I'm stumped. Where can I find solvent based Helmsman Spar Urethane in California, specifically Orange County region? Or does anyone know a reliable site that will sell it by the quart?

Thanks!

Thats so weird!! Here in Florida you can buy the Spar at Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, Walmart......almost anywhere!!

Page 116 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1666106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126 ... LastLast