autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 10 of 142 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Boy that looks damned good for after 9 months. Not to mention how terrible they were to start. Thanks for the effort in doing this thread and continuing its exploration.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update hotrod....they still look good after all this time. My headlights have been holding up as well. Please keep us updated!
    David

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to the site. Great work and feedback from everyone.

I recently found a couple of sites that are of interest.

One states a two year guarantee. (can this be accomplished with these materials?)

The other states that they can clear the fog from the interior of the lens. I did read that they remove the assembly in order to do their method.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elCid View Post
    New to the site. Great work and feedback from everyone.

I recently found a couple of sites that are of interest.

One states a two year guarantee. (can this be accomplished with these materials?)

The other states that they can clear the fog from the interior of the lens. I did read that they remove the assembly in order to do their method.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    I don't know for sure if this spar urethane that I am using will last two years, as I am still testing its longevity for myself. However, I have been told by the originator of this method, that it has lasted up to two years and still looks good. But results will probably differ with whatever climate you live in.

Also this method I am using is for the outside of the lens only, I don't even know if its possible to take a light apart to restore the interior, never tried it.

If the sealer you found does what it says, it would be interesting to try it out. Let everyone know if you try it and its a success. I would definitely be interested if it does last two years guaranteed and restores the interior of the lens as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, that's it. Thanks HotRod. I'm going to start using this material with all of my headlight resto's from now on. Now to find a practice mule. heh Thanks for you months of research on this. Glad to see it's holding up. The pictures speak for themselves.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post
    Okay, that's it. Thanks HotRod. I'm going to start using this material with all of my headlight resto's from now on. Now to find a practice mule. heh Thanks for you months of research on this. Glad to see it's holding up. The pictures speak for themselves.
    Hey Adam, Thanks for taking notice with my "experiment". Go back through the thread, get the basics steps and experiment! Now, when you are applying the mixture of sealer, if you are not happy with the first application, wipe it off with a rag soaked in mineral spirits before the urethane has time to dry, then reapply until you are happy with the coverage. It does have a slight learning curve, so give it some time, and if you have some spare lenses, practice with this method. And if you have any problems, let me know.

On another note. And anyone can chime in on this, how long is a headlight restoration suppose to last? If the headlight restoration only lasts 6 months, will the customer be happy, and return for another restoration? Would the customer be happier with 1 year of lasting results and protection, or would they demand more? I was thinking of guaranteeing a year for this headlight restoration, or its redone for no charge if it fails in less than a year.

If a customer pays $40-$80(just an estimate) for a headlight restoration, they will assume it will last forever, unless they are educated about how headlights eventually fade back out. How can you keep the customers confidence in your service, if its unknown how long it will last? I'am just trying to put myself in the customers shoes, and come up with a respectable service that I would be happy with.
    Last edited by HotRod; 04-02-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think the newly treated lenses would last longer if they were regularly maintained with a regular sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes if you reapply a sealer on a regular basis it should last forever....however if you are offering this service to a customer it is very rare that they will do any sort of reapplying anything to their headlights. If I payed someone 50 bucks for headlight restoration I would think that it should last longer than 6 months, considering that originally the headlights lasted 2 or more years before they yellowed. We are selling this as headlight RESTORATION......that sounds like restoring them to like new condition therefore they should not yellow for a considerable amount of time.....I am going to market a 1 year guarantee on this service and i might bump that guarantee up after I find out how long this process really last.
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
    Hey Adam, Thanks for taking notice with my "experiment". Go back through the thread, get the basics steps and experiment! Now, when you are applying the mixture of sealer, if you are not happy with the first application, wipe it off with a rag soaked in mineral spirits before the urethane has time to dry, then reapply until you are happy with the coverage. It does have a slight learning curve, so give it some time, and if you have some spare lenses, practice with this method. And if you have any problems, let me know.

On another note. And anyone can chime in on this, how long is a headlight restoration suppose to last? If the headlight restoration only lasts 6 months, will the customer be happy, and return for another restoration? Would the customer be happier with 1 year of lasting results and protection, or would they demand more? I was thinking of guaranteeing a year for this headlight restoration, or its redone for no charge if it fails in less than a year.

If a customer pays $40-$80(just an estimate) for a headlight restoration, they will assume it will last forever, unless they are educated about how headlights eventually fade back out. How can you keep the customers confidence in your service, if its unknown how long it will last? I'am just trying to put myself in the customers shoes, and come up with a respectable service that I would be happy with.
    Anytime! You did a lot of hard work and you were dedicated to showing the longevity of the products and processes you used. I read the entire thread from the beginning as I've been searching for a more permanent sealer for headlights for a while now as a couple of the "freebie" jobs I did last year are starting to haze a bit now. I'd like to get those folks back and re-do their lights and put a more permanent fix over the work I did to prevent more damage.

If you're up-front with the customer and tell them that with a decent waxing or application of Plexus on a semi-regular basis, the work you did should last them a year or longer. If they neglect it, then it will come back faster, but there's nothing you can do to prevent the damage from coming back. What you're doing is providing them essentially the same service as an oil change. If you change your oil periodically, you might pay $20-50 each time, but you save yourself anywhere from $1000-6000 in having to switch out engines. The difference is that headlights are less resilient than engines and will need more maintenance to keep them clear. Beats spending $400 or more to replace them only to have them yellow again down the road.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
    Yes if you reapply a sealer on a regular basis it should last forever....however if you are offering this service to a customer it is very rare that they will do any sort of reapplying anything to their headlights. If I payed someone 50 bucks for headlight restoration I would think that it should last longer than 6 months, considering that originally the headlights lasted 2 or more years before they yellowed. We are selling this as headlight RESTORATION......that sounds like restoring them to like new condition therefore they should not yellow for a considerable amount of time.....I am going to market a 1 year guarantee on this service and i might bump that guarantee up after I find out how long this process really last.
    Just doing it for my own cars. Thanks.

Page 10 of 142 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast