autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our First New Car - My Journey

First I'd like to thank a few people that have helped me along the way.
    Zach McGovern - who I think is retired and no longer details or posts. He answered a lot of questions early on when I joined.
    Mike - The Guz - He's answered my questions for everyone and he's responded to just about all my questions on his YouTube channel.
    Phil Miranda - Same deal. He's answered a lot of my comments or questions on his channel.
    VISITOR & dlc95 have both answered PM questions I've had.

So now to the goods.
    The wife and I got our first new car 2023 Honda Civic Sport in Crystal Black Pearl (her choice). I wanted the Pearl White. We drive this car 100 miles a day. It's nearly 51 miles to work and all interstate. Even with 2 coats I know I won't come close to 4 years.

Polishers - My daughter surprised me with a Griots G8 & G9. After 6 years with the OG Chicago HF polisher this was a treat. The 3.5" pads were helpful on this car.
    Pads - LC Flat Orange, Flat White (5.5 & 3.5) I used mostly orange, but white when it was warranted.
    Polish - I used 3D One. I've used Speed for years and it wipes off like a dream. This was a bit harder. I found if I let it dry for a few minutes it wipes off better for me.
    Panel IPA - Gyeon Prep
    Coating - Gyeon Mohs Evo 50mil
    Rags - The Rag Company Edge less 300 (leveling & wipe) I had 24 of these. Thanks to Mike for mentioning the numbering of the sides. That was helpful keeping track of which side I was using. I should have had 12 of one color and 12 of another. I had to remember which hand was leveling and which was wipe off. Once I had a system it was fine.
    Thoughts. I thought I'd have more coating left, but I used every drop. I put 2 coats of paint. One on the wheel faces. I probably used more on the initial coat. Just inexperience. Maybe I didn't. I don't have a garage so I coated on my mom's carport. I at least had cover. We still have a lot of pollen so before I coated a section I did the panel wipe to make sure it was clean. I waited almost 24 hours and put on a coat of Gyeon Cure to prevent water spotting. It's supposed to rain Saturday and my wife has to work.

Yesterday was a very sunny day. Even though I was out of the sun it was hard to see the coating flash on the black paint. I brought it home a little while ago and it was very overcast (no rain) and I noticed a high spot on the hood that I didn't see and my mom was helping keep an eye out. To me it's obvious. If my wife sees it without me pointing it out it'll be go time. Obviously I'll have to polish it out and recoat it. Do I only polish the high spots or should I go outside the area some?

Thanks to everyone for advice

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our First New Car - My Journey

Congratulations!!

You can polish "outside the area some" and then just re-coat those areas.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Congratulations!!

You can polish "outside the area some" and then just re-coat those areas.
    Thanks. I'll pick up 30mil bottle soon. If I coat a smidge outside the polished area how does the new coating react to areas that are already coated?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    Thanks. I'll pick up 30mil bottle soon. If I coat a smidge outside the polished area how does the new coating react to areas that are already coated?
    No reaction at all.

As long as you "level out" the new application, you'll be good to go.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks kantonburg thanked for this post
    Likes kantonburg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    No reaction at all.

As long as you "level out" the new application, you'll be good to go.
    Appreciate it. I wasn't nervous about the coating. I'm just disappointed it missed it, but after 24 hours I put a coating of Gyeon Cure on it and still didn't see it till I got home and it was very obvious in the different lighting.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! Looks fantastic! I still haven't made the move to coatings, and don't mind, I know I would screw it up with lots of high spots. And because this is 'hobby' for me, waxing more often is part of the fun. (Fun hobby??)
    And congrats on your first new car and the work you put into it.

9. Thanks kantonburg thanked for this post
    Likes kantonburg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MOHS EVO is pretty forgiving and user friendly....but I still managed a high spot that took me several days, and just the right angle, to notice it. There was a part of me that was all set to polish it and re-coat, except for the fact that I ran out of it just as I was finishing the roof......and I was not about to buy another bottle for one high spot.

11. Likes kantonburg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new car! It looks great!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. Glad to have helped.

High spots happen. The good thing is they are easily fixed. I would have told you to do one layer and be done.

14. Thanks kantonburg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    Appreciate it. I wasn't nervous about the coating. I'm just disappointed it missed it, but after 24 hours I put a coating of Gyeon Cure on it and still didn't see it till I got home and it was very obvious in the different lighting.
    Car looks great! Nice work. Congrats on the new car. Mohs evo is a great coating.

Since you noticed the high spot after you used cure, are you sure it wasnt a dark streak from using cure? I only ask because for me 9 times out of ten on black paint no matter how little amount i use i will see streaking most noticeably on the hood.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast