autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mattmann’s new shop!

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann View Post
    Agreed! I loved it but only have room for so many toys. Plus I’m 4x4 deep and haven’t owned a muscle car yet. Always wanted one but never did it. Figured I would sell the 94 and find me a mustang. I’m not picky on years but found a 98 today with 54,000 miles and it’s beautiful. May have to buy it…..
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the 4.6L engines. My 2004 Mach 1 had a DOHC 4.6L and that was much better than the SOHC 4.6L engines. They sound better too. I sold my Mach in September because I want something newer and it was a good time to let it go as I'm not really sure when I'm going to buy something. Anyway, I just wanted mention that modding the 4.6L engines seemed really expensive compared to the 302's from 79 to 95 in the Mustangs. I too am a foxbody fan. I had a 92 GT 5spd I bought new and later an 88 GT with an auto. Loved them both. Should have never sold the 92. Hope you find a Mustang that makes you happy soon.

2. Likes mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the 4.6L engines. My 2004 Mach 1 had a DOHC 4.6L and that was much better than the SOHC 4.6L engines. They sound better too. I sold my Mach in September because I want something newer and it was a good time to let it go as I'm not really sure when I'm going to buy something. Anyway, I just wanted mention that modding the 4.6L engines seemed really expensive compared to the 302's from 79 to 95 in the Mustangs. I too am a foxbody fan. I had a 92 GT 5spd I bought new and later an 88 GT with an auto. Loved them both. Should have never sold the 92. Hope you find a Mustang that makes you happy soon.
    We got a unique version of those Modular Ford V8's in Australia.

The 4.6 was just too small for the Falcon in either 2V or 4V form. The 5.4 3V with 300hp ended up being the base V8 but was not seen as raunchy enough for the high-performance modes (the 3V was all about low end torque).

The solution was to import iron 5.4 blocks and 4V alloy heads from the US and assemble the engines on a small, largely handmade production line in Australia. The inlet manifold was unique to Australia, locally cast as a high-rise trumpet style manifold with a large open plenum chamber bolted on top. From memory, the camshafts were locally made, along with a variety of other components.

These engines debuted for the BA 349hp Falcon XR8 and 389hp GT in 2003. Over the next 7 years, the engines had a few updates culminating in the 2008 FG Falcon XR8 with 389hp and 422hp GT. The engines were named BOSS 260, BOSS 290, BOSS 302 and BOSS 315, the numbers denoting their power figures in kilowatts.

The 5.4 BOSS engines were not universally liked and often derided. See, the larger 5.4 version of the Ford Modular had a very long stroke at 106mm, which worked really well on the 3V versions to bolster low rev torque. However, the 4V heads were designed to improve top end performance. See where I'm going with this......... .........The rev limit on the earlier versions was set at 6,000rpm, but the engine really only came on song at about 4,000rpm. So, the driver only had a 2,000rpm band where the engine was at its best. Later versions, with the Ford GT crankshaft, increased the limiter to 6,500rpm. Combined with the hefty weight of the Falcon, these engines didn't provide the performance many expected. But............

Those BOSS V8's sounded absolutely awesome, either stock standard or with a big ass exhaust system fitted. And with that huge intake plenum, they had a luscious intake note too. I have driven a few of these and the on-paper specs do tend to play out in real life, the low-down torque is somewhat limited, but when "on cam", they run hard. And they ran so smoothly too, right out to the rev limiter.

6 Speed Auto BOSS 260 -

Manual BOSS 290 -

Modified BOSS 260 -

Modified BOSS 315 -

With apologies to Mattmann for hijacking your thread!

4. Likes dgage, Azure, mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    We got a unique version of those Modular Ford V8's in Australia.

The 4.6 was just too small for the Falcon in either 2V or 4V form. The 5.4 3V with 300hp ended up being the base V8 but was not seen as raunchy enough for the high-performance modes (the 3V was all about low end torque).

The solution was to import iron 5.4 blocks and 4V alloy heads from the US and assemble the engines on a small, largely handmade production line in Australia. The inlet manifold was unique to Australia, locally cast as a high-rise trumpet style manifold with a large open plenum chamber bolted on top. From memory, the camshafts were locally made, along with a variety of other components.

These engines debuted for the BA 349hp Falcon XR8 and 389hp GT in 2003. Over the next 7 years, the engines had a few updates culminating in the 2008 FG Falcon XR8 with 389hp and 422hp GT. The engines were named BOSS 260, BOSS 290, BOSS 302 and BOSS 315, the numbers denoting their power figures in kilowatts.

The 5.4 BOSS engines were not universally liked and often derided. See, the larger 5.4 version of the Ford Modular had a very long stroke at 106mm, which worked really well on the 3V versions to bolster low rev torque. However, the 4V heads were designed to improve top end performance. See where I'm going with this......... .........The rev limit on the earlier versions was set at 6,000rpm, but the engine really only came on song at about 4,000rpm. So, the driver only had a 2,000rpm band where the engine was at its best. Later versions, with the Ford GT crankshaft, increased the limiter to 6,500rpm. Combined with the hefty weight of the Falcon, these engines didn't provide the performance many expected. But............

Those BOSS V8's sounded absolutely awesome, either stock standard or with a big ass exhaust system fitted. And with that huge intake plenum, they had a luscious intake note too. I have driven a few of these and the on-paper specs do tend to play out in real life, the low-down torque is somewhat limited, but when "on cam", they run hard. And they ran so smoothly too, right out to the rev limiter.

6 Speed Auto BOSS 260 -

Manual BOSS 290 -

Modified BOSS 260 -

Modified BOSS 315 -

With apologies to Mattmann for hijacking your thread!
    Yes, sorry Matt lol.

The 4V heads was a huge improvement for all the modern V8's from Ford. My Mach's redline 6800 and sound awesome. I really wanted to upgrade the cams for more chop in the exhaust. It just costs so much to do that lol. I love what y'all got from Ford in Australia. The V8's have so much power now that I'd be happy with just exaust upgrades.

6. Likes mattmann, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    Yes, sorry Matt lol.

The 4V heads was a huge improvement for all the modern V8's from Ford. My Mach's redline 6800 and sound awesome. I really wanted to upgrade the cams for more chop in the exhaust. It just costs so much to do that lol. I love what y'all got from Ford in Australia. The V8's have so much power now that I'd be happy with just exaust upgrades.
    It’s really crazy to see someone spend $10,000 plus performance modification on those mustangs and then a new factory GT with the coyote will eat its lunch. I may decide to wait and buy one new next year sometime as I would imagine cars will be cheaper to purchase in a year or so unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes DFB, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting the home gym lined up in the shop

10. Likes Big Dave, PaulMys, DFB, Azure, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked up and installed a wifi bridge system from Amazon for about $300 total. Works AMAZING for getting my home wifi to my shop for free. A day of install on a Saturday and had it up and running. Picked up a new 75” tv for $600 and the streaming works awesome. If anyone needs help, reach out. Best thing I’ve done out there in a while especially compared to paying $100 per month for new service.

12. Likes Big Dave, PaulMys, SNP209, DFB, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing how small a 75” looks on these tall walls

14. Likes Big Dave, PaulMys, DFB, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the truck fleet cleaned up and thought this was a cool picture.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm really late to this thread but back to the original post... I don't understand why you didn't put several skylights in that huge building.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678