autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

World Rally Blue 2022 BRZ Meets Gyeon Pure Evo

...and the results are spectacular!

This car actually came home to my garage in late January, but weather and life meant it saw nothing but frequent washes and an application of Griots 3 in 1 until time allowed for a proper detail job. Memorial Day weekend provided the opportunity to give this little rocket the attention it deserves.

For this job I ran a standard process.
    1. Washed with Hyperwash
    2. Synthetic clay with the Blackfire clay mitt
    3. Polish
    4. Prep with Eraser
    5. Coated with Gyeon Pure Evo

Polishing the car was rather uneventful. The dealership respected my wishes to not prep the car, so the only damage needing correction was the few swirls installed by the attendants caring for cars at the annual auto show before I took delivery. I used both my G15 and G8 polishers and a variety of medium polishing pads I have on hand. With some of the strange contours and shapes of this car, the G8 really proved it's worth and I used it more on this car than any other so far. For polish, I started out with SONAX 04/06 but quickly found it didn't have enough cut to pull off a one-step job like I was wanting. It created good gloss, but even with a medium polishing pad I wasn't getting as much correction as I hoped. This little Subi's paint seems to be a touch harder than our Toyota's. This finding led me to right to Griots Finishing Cream. It provided just enough correction for the swirls and really created great gloss on the paint. Despite being new, polishing the paint made it noticeably shinier.

Pure Evo went on with little drama. Despite changing temps and humidity the coating still kept a pretty long flash time. In fact, on a car this small, it was almost too long. At one point I found myself with most of the passenger side covered and I was waiting around for the coating to flash. Once flashed removal was pretty easy; a touch more difficult and grabby than CQUK 3.0, but not difficult by any measure. I'm still adjusting to using the coating applicator pads vs a mf swatch and a foam block. This lead me to apply it a little heavy at the start, but I soon realized how far I could really go with the few drops applied to the provided applicator.

When I was first finished I liked the results, but was a little disappointed. It didn't look that much different than when I was done polishing. A couple hours later I checked on it and noticed a bit more gloss. Couple hours later...a bit more. When I checked in on it the next morning; WOW, that dipped in glass look I was after was in full effect. I drove the car a bit and then had to park it outside in the sun, and I'm pretty sure the gloss continued to improve. I know some people feel nothing really changes as a coating cures, but I don't agree. I think both CQUK and now Pure Evo both improve as it cures. If you don't agree, I'm willing to duel at dawn with pool noodles to defend my honor.

Enough talking, you all came here for the pictures. Enjoy!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: World Rally Blue 2022 BRZ Meets Gyeon Pure Evo

Nicely done!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

The pictures don't really do it justice. Between the lowering of the resolution to post here and the slight darkening of the pictures due to the blazing sunlight at the time, you don't quite get the full effect here.

4. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Usually takes some time before the coating cures and the look starts to take shape. Give it about 30 days to see how much better it will look.

6. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DAMN!!!!! That blue is "knock your socks off".

Kick ass job on that beauty, Nate!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nice. Usually takes some time before the coating cures and the look starts to take shape. Give it about 30 days to see how much better it will look.
    Thanks. I'm headed towards three weeks since application, but it's a little dirty from being driven in the rain last week. Can't wait to see how it may have improved this weekend after I wash it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    DAMN!!!!! That blue is "knock your socks off".

Kick ass job on that beauty, Nate!
    Thanks! The color is pretty stunning. I've always been a sucker for a blue car, but always favored the darker shades like Ford's Kona Blue or Lexus Ultrasonic Blue. However, this color really, "grabs me". Never thought I'd own a car in the same color as the WRX's I used to watch in the WRC years ago.

9. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great. Nice work.

Did it get wet yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it has. Twice last week it was driven and sat in the rain. On both occasions it was pouring when I left the car and the rain was long gone by the time I returned, so my observations are limited.

From what I could tell, the beading was really tight and very similar to my experience with CanCoat many years ago. Rather than having lots of water drops on the car, it's more like little water balls rolling around the surface.

As for sheeting, while I was driving it didn't take hardly any speed at all to get the water beads in motion. They just started dancing in little formations up the hood and fenders until they fell into the drain or blew off the car. In a soft steady rain, the hood was nearly dry at speeds in the 40~50 mph range. While sitting, I can only say the sheeting must be pretty good because I didn't find many water spots and my car was far cleaner than I would have expected considering it had been driven on city streets and through some rather muddy puddles. The only real signs of water/dirt drying on the car was along the ledge in the back of the car where the trunk meets the bumper and a little behind the rear wheels. Considering I park across the street from a large, active construction site at work, I was expecting far worse.

12. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's beautiful and SO BLUE!
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

14. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They should call it electric blue..looks electrified.

16. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast