autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 136 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

DFB's Garage

Like many, the garage is my sanctuary. It's a place where I can be myself without judgement or expectation, other my own. The focus is of course detailing, but it's also a space where I house my tools of trade, that's why you will see a lawn mower (or three!) from time to time. And like many, it's a work in progress.

This space was always supposed to be a two car garage, things changed pretty quickly though.

The area in the pic below where the two cars are parked was designed to be an outdoor kitchen.

That kitchen moved further forward and a folding accordion style door installed to separate the garage and BBQ area.

A lot has changed over the last 17 years to what the space looks like now.

A few key things include setting up cabinets to hold my ever expanding collection of detailing products and towels.

Adding some dedicated shelving for my gardening tools was pivotal in tidying the space up.

Shortly after, adding a sink was a monumental change in the efficiency of my detailing. Because the area was originally laid out for a kitchen, hot and cold water as well as a drain where all in place to make this addition possible. Filling buckets and foam cannons to washing out dirty towels or brushes suddenly became so much easier.

Adding to the storage in mid 2021 was a roll cabinet, allowing me to better organize various detailing tools and supplies.

At this stage, the garage was working very well functionally. But something was bugging me...............

The floor was letting the side down with its painted concrete surface looking atrocious. In most ways, the way the floor looked did not alter my ability to detail cars to a high level. But I am a visual person and the sight of the peeling paint really annoyed me. It looked terrible in photos and even worse in real person. Due to the size of the space, fixing that problem was never going to be a quick or in-expensive job. I looked at epoxy, re-painting, polishing and a variety of modular tiles. In the end, the ability for me to do the work myself meant I choose to bite the bullet and order Swisstrax Ribtrax.

I installed the floor on Decemeber 26th 2021, a post Christmas Day project that I look back on with great pride.

It's hard to put into words what that floor means to me. It had been on the "one-day" list for a very long time. It cost me a lot of money, but with the amount of time I spend out there, the cost was worth it. Seven months later, I still can't believe that I did that!

The whole floor fitment meant a few other changes were made. I replaced the array of cabinets that were falling apart with a single large cabinet, a place to store general tools and bulk detailing supplies.

I also painted the door into the garage red, because why not!

Recently, I added a power cord real to make things more convenient when using a vacuum or blow dryer.

And that's were I am up to at the moment. The space is a constant source of enjoyment, self care, enthusiasm, love and hope. It keeps my mind active and drives me forward.

I'm going to use this thread as place to share my detailing efforts all in one place. I care for six cars regularly as well as doing the occasional customer car to supplement my income...............well, more like to help pay for more detailing products!

2. Likes SNP209, opie, bill walsh, dgage, Rsurfer and 11 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

I work 6 days per week, including Satarday and Sunday. Tuesday is my day off, a day for ME.

This weeks garage therapy session involved washing the two Rangers.

The Ranger Wildtrack is actually my fathers vehicle, which I detail for him. I certainly didn't get the cleaning bug from him, rather his mother / my grandmother. I do this car once a month in an attempt to keep it 'nice'. This car is basically a rolling office for a very busy person.

This weeks product selection. This is one of my favorite things to do, standing in front of my cabinet and deciding what to use today.

It normally takes me about 3 hours to detail this car inside and out.

My Ranger also got an "express" wash. My version of a quick, express wash is as follows -

Rinse the car top to bottom including the wheels and wheel arches.

Foam the drivers side wheels and wheel arches. With the pressure washer short gun in one hand and a short handled wheel brush in the other, scrub the the wheel face and wheel arch, rising each wheel and the brush as you go. Repeat the same process on the passenger side.

Now, foam the entire car down with soap. With the pressure washer gun without a nozzle in one hand and a wash mitt in the other, work your way around the car, rinsing the wash mitt with the gun between sections.

Thoroughly rinse and then blow and towel dry the car as normal.

This process is ideal for mildly dusty/dirty cars. I would most certainly not use this method on the Wildtrack today for instance, but as a way of giving the car a quicker wash, it does save a few steps in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

5 car's and a big garage plus a house you're doing good for a 35 year old.

5. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, DFB, SNP209, Big Dave, mattmann and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on being a sucess in life and proof of hard work pays offDFB's Garage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

7. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man that swisstrax changed the entire look of that garage...just like a set of wheels would do to a vehicle.

Great work all the way around. I look forward to checkin out the new threads content.

Side note....all three of your vehicles are in imaculate condition but damn that maroon xr8. Beautiful car

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

9. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Man that swisstrax changed the entire look of that garage...just like a set of wheels would do to a vehicle.

Great work all the way around. I look forward to checkin out the new threads content.

Side note....all three of your vehicles are in imaculate condition but damn that maroon xr8. Beautiful car

Don't forget the JaaaaagDFB's Garage The analogy about rims is a good one and he did that also which dramatically changed the look of the StangDFB's Garage

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Don't forget the JaaaaagDFB's Garage The analogy about rims is a good one and he did that also which dramatically changed the look of the StangDFB's Garage

Haha i do remember that mustand wheel swap! And its honeslty hard to choose a favorite of his ford fleet

13. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Haha i do remember that mustand wheel swap! And its honeslty hard to choose a favorite of his ford fleet

Foe me it's the XR8..."forbidden fruit" will always winDFB's Garage

15. Likes opie, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic says it all. Maybe in retirement my garage may get to 50% of that state (summer 2023 is the goal)
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

17. Likes Klasse Act, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread and I’ll peak in here from time to time! Like your setup!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

19. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
Page 1 of 136 123456789101151101 ... LastLast