autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 17 of 142 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

So after yesterdays confusion over the measured pH readings of NV Snow, I wanted to mix up a proper measured amount at the recommended dilution. And still, the readings are too high -

A figure of 9.7 is just too far from a neutral reading of about 7.5, I really don't know what to think now. Perhaps an email to Waxit/NV for clarification is needed.

I then tested another soap to make sure it's not operator or equipment error, this time the product I intended to use today, Optimum Car Wash.

A reading of 6.94 is ever so slightly acidic, but close enough for me.

In use, this soap is quite interesting. It pours quite thickly, but foams much thinner than I'm used to. It's very much like P&S Pearl in consistency and it's ability to cling and just "hang" on the paint.

I like a thicker foam but it smelt nice and provided good cleaning and lubrication. It rinsed well too.

The Ranger also provided another opportunity to use ECH2o, this time to wipe the door jambs and tray.

So far, I really like this product. I really need to try using it as a rinse-less wash before making any more comment.

I used Bead Maker for the drying aid today, it's pretty hard to go past Bead Maker for gloss. It really makes paint pop, especially remarkable on a pretty boring flat white finish.

2. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    So after yesterdays confusion over the measured pH readings of NV Snow, I wanted to mix up a proper measured amount at the recommended dilution. And still, the readings are too high -

A figure of 9.7 is just too far from a neutral reading of about 7.5, I really don't know what to think now. Perhaps an email to Waxit/NV for clarification is needed.

I then tested another soap to make sure it's not operator or equipment error, this time the product I intended to use today, Optimum Car Wash.

A reading of 6.94 is ever so slightly acidic, but close enough for me.

In use, this soap is quite interesting. It pours quite thickly, but foams much thinner than I'm used to. It's very much like P&S Pearl in consistency and it's ability to cling and just "hang" on the paint.

I like a thicker foam but it smelt nice and provided good cleaning and lubrication. It rinsed well too.

The Ranger also provided another opportunity to use ECH2o, this time to wipe the door jambs and tray.

So far, I really like this product. I really need to try using it as a rinse-less wash before making any more comment.

I used Bead Maker for the drying aid today, it's pretty hard to go past Bead Maker for gloss. It really makes paint pop, especially remarkable on a pretty boring flat white finish.

I've been playing around with Ech20 a lot lately. The rinseless washes are such great, versatile products. Ech20 has been excellent on all interior and exterior surfaces diluted 1:20/30.

I like Optimum Car Wash. Not quite as good as Reset (is anything?), but for the money I think it's a very good shampoo.

4. Likes DFB, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DFB for the info about the EZ Detail GO Brush. I picked it up and really like it. I normally don’t do the wheel arches because it is so tight on our cars but this brush works even on my sedan. I also used it to detail an engine bay and it seemed to work well. So thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    This was my first chance to try my new EZ Detail GO Brush. I bought this specifically for wheel arches, a job it does very well.

6. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Thanks DFB for the info about the EZ Detail GO Brush. I picked it up and really like it. I normally don’t do the wheel arches because it is so tight on our cars but this brush works even on my sedan. I also used it to detail an engine bay and it seemed to work well. So thanks!
    Excellent, I'm glad you like it.

I try so many different products and tools that sometimes I never really know if I will like something or not, however the GO version of those brushes surprised me. I actually spotted Sandro from CCAD using one for wheel arches and decided to give one a try.

At this point I am going to say that the EZ-Detail brushes are well worth the added cost over and above the similar and cheaper Chinese knockoff's.

I ran four of these Maxshine versions for a while and they were just not that good. One of the smaller ones came adrift from its handle, the rubber protector tip went AWOL on one of the larger ones and they just haven't maintained their shape. They are brand new below and certainly don't look like that now -

The EZ-Detail versions are much, much better made and are holding up to regular use better than the cheaper alternatives.

I primarily use the small and large versions for wheel cleaning, but they also get use for engine bays and exhaust tips. I did not expect the GO version to be much different, but its very, very good for cleaning wheel arches.

I absolutely love these brushes; they are so versatile. This is definitely a case of "you get what you pay for".

8. Likes dgage, Azure, Tasmania, Big Dave, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the small and large and had them nearly 5 years i snapped the handle off the large but fixed it with some metal tubing. Still going strong i have a cheaper Chinese that is bent to hit up the back of the spokes.

10. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Therapy day!

The XR8 has been sitting uncovered for a long time now, since the incident with the little grey things. It's been bugging me for weeks now, other cars taking my attention away from it. You know how it is...........next week, next week, next week.........

After clearing a few chores, it was on with the noise cancelling headphones and I slipped into my detailing trance and devoted my attention to my favorite car.

I'm trying ReTyre again, this time with the correct spray head, and found it to perform much better.

As mentioned, I was just pottering around and letting things flow without a time limit hanging over my head, so no other product features for this detail. I used OG Drying Aid across the paint, under bonnet surfaces, door jambs and wheels. The tyres featuring OG Tire Dressing.

Part of the delay in getting to this car was the need to launder its cover. Now that I have figured out that it can actually fit in our washing machine at home, this made the process much easier than having to find the time to go down to the laundromat. I also put it in the dryer to speed up the process. For detergent, I use the same stuff I use on microfiber towels, Rags to Riches.

I'm feeling so much better now having that sorted.

The Ranger was also in need of attention.

I used Reset today, the same as used on the XR8. I sort of wished I had grabbed the NV Snow that is more aggressive in it's current form to deal with that road film.

Drying Aid for the Ranger was Stjarnagloss Silke -

Silke is a traditional quick detailer, so no added protection, as such it's exceptionally easy to use. I like how quick detailers don't require the added attention that a protective drying aid needs, you literally spray and wipe with these products.

Next on the list to try was Stjarnagloss Gummi -

I know, another tire dressing, I can't help it. These tires were also cleaned with ReTyre in prep for the application of Gummi.

These tyres always amplify a dressing, so the gloss that appears in the pics will be less on other tyres. I really liked the user experience of this product, the way it wiped on with no effort was pleasing, if the scent was better, it would be almost perfect.

Just wish the weather was better for my day off, I'm missing some seat time in cars other than a Ranger at the moment.

12. Likes Big Dave, Tasmania, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Phoenix EOD available at Aus pro detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

I needed a distraction for my afternoon, the Jaguar was it. This car has been sitting for far too long, longer than I care to admit to. Thankfully it started but it was shouting warnings at me about low battery charge.

It wasn't particularly dirty, just dusty from sitting so long. Today I decided to use Stjarnagloss Sno for the first time.

Foam quality is brilliant, the scent a faint aroma of coconut oil.

Stjarnagloss sell two soaps, Sno is called a "Snow Foam Pre-Wash" while Bubblor is for bucket washing. Normally I tend to ignore that sort of product labeling as marketing speak, I don't use two different soaps when washing a car, as in one to foam and one to bucket wash with. However, Sno felt strangely tacky and less slick under the wash mitt. This would be one of the only times where I have noticed a difference between a foam-cannon soap and bucket-soap.

I used Sno for wheel cleaning as well today, ReTyre for the rubber.

As the car hadn't been touched for a long time, I went all over the car, including the engine bay with Bead Maker. I'm going to daily this for a few days, so I wanted the paint to POP, Bead Maker is almost as good as it gets.

Interior was wiped over with InnerQD and the front seats given a quick application of NV Nourish. The interior glass was quite hazy for some reason, so I had to go to town with the Reach & Clean Tool and Gyeon Glass.

With stripped tyres, I went with Adam's Graphene Tire Dressing today.

Ignore the Graphene marketing aspect, this is a really nice dressing, especially if you prefer a matte finish.

With the battery protesting the whole time, I hooked it up to the new CTEK for the evening.

Spending some time alone with the Jaguar was what I needed this afternoon.

15. Likes Big Dave, dgage, Azure liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

God I love a good CTEK charger. Kudos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenja View Post
    God I love a good CTEK charger. Kudos.
    Happy to report the CTEK worked it's magic overnight, battery strong as an ox today!

18. Likes Azure liked this post
Page 17 of 142 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast