autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 142 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

Cleanest Falcon in Victoria!

2. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Swapped out the other two light fixtures with the newer bulbs today.

Having moved the XR6 and replaced the globes on the left side, I moved the XR8 back, leaving the engine running while I replaced the right hand side globes. Moving the car back into place and getting out, I could smell something. I have a really sensitive sense of smell, so I pick up scents that most others can't. I knew what it was straight away, opened the bonnet and, yep, it was mice.

I feel so embarrassed and upset I let this happen. I have wrapped this car in cotton wool it's whole life, keeping it as close to perfect as I can. Luckily, I can't see any obvious damage or nesting spots, nor has there been any intrusion of the interior, that would be even worse. All I can think of is that they have enjoyed the warmth of the engine bay at some stage.

I vacuumed up any waste I could see before spraying white vinegar over the engine bay in an attempt to neutralize the smell. I then plunged myself into the deep end, covered the battery and air filter and foamed the engine bay down with the acidic based Carpro Descale before using my wheel brushes to scrub.

I then washed the engine bay down with clean water. I have NEVER cleaned an engine bay like this before, at the very least, I learnt a new skill today.

I followed up by foaming the whole car down with NV Snow for a quick foam-rinse-dry wash. The smell still remains.

Again, I feel like a layer of perfection on this car has been removed. Why they had to choose THIS car, the one I love and care for the most.

My next move will be to repeat the above process, next time being liberal with the white vinegar, then foaming with APC, scrubbing and rinsing. I will repeat and repeat and repeat until it's gone. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

(And yes, those mice will not be alive much longer! :shoot)

All of that delayed what was to be my task for the day, the XR6. I felt like I had to rush through it, which just not as fun and taking my time and enjoying the moment.

A frustrating day.

4. Likes dgage, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A question - would an interior enzyme remover work on an engine bay in regard to mice odor? Say Poorboys Enzyme Cleaner or P&S Terminator?

Post Thanks / Like

Fark that sucks i was only thinking the other day i hope he puts out the rat sack,
    Have a look in the pollen filter for mice piss it could be just that it STINKS only
    takes a little we had then in the garage eating the chook food but we killed them.

Maybe get a cat? They leave a sent that mice/rats can smell and stay a way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    Fark that sucks i was only thinking the other day i hope he puts out the rat sack,
    Have a look in the pollen filter for mice piss it could be just that it STINKS only
    takes a little we had then in the garage eating the chook food but we killed them.

Maybe get a cat? They leave a sent that mice/rats can smell and stay a way
    I opened the glove box and inspected the cabin filter and fan, no sign of entry into the, likewise no smell in the cabin either.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming you had a good look in the engine bay with a torch but were upset with what happened, So maybe have another look tomorrow with fresh eyes and a clear head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    I'm assuming you had a good look in the engine bay with a torch but were upset with what happened, So maybe have another look tomorrow with fresh eyes and a clear head.
    Yeah, had my torch and went through it. I'm going to keep an eye on it for a while.

10. Likes Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I admit my butt was puckered the whole time when I washed my 2004 Mach 1 engine bay the way you did here. There are so many areas in that engine bay where water could add intermittent issues LOL. Seems like many of the newer engine bays are more water resistant by design or modern connections. Hopefully you will get your mouse issue resolved.

12. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I admit my butt was puckered the whole time when I washed my 2004 Mach 1 engine bay the way you did here. There are so many areas in that engine bay where water could add intermittent issues LOL. Seems like many of the newer engine bays are more water resistant by design or modern connections. Hopefully you will get your mouse issue resolved.
    I think as long as you don't leave water sitting for an extended period, it's generally fine. The challenge on this particular engine is the large open air filter pod, I had to be very careful around that. I also used my Big Boi blower to dry the whole engine bay as thoroughly as I could. Followed up with some Motorplaste. I will be re-cleaning it again at the end of the week, same process but more thorough.

As for the little critters, things are in hand..........

14. Likes Azure, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kill count and size

Page 7 of 142 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast