autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 142 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    You sir seem to have a problem. When you figure out how to get help with your product addiction, can you let me know so I can get proper help as well?
    This "problem" is helping solve another set of "problems". I'm in no hurray be purged of this addiction!

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not even a chilly winter blast and a top of 10.1 deg C / 50 deg F could stop me from getting my fix this week. The Mustang was getting washed rain, hail or shine!

I generally always give the garage a quick vacuum on a Tuesday. I have had this Karcher for more than a year now, this is the first time I have replaced the bag. It has performed so well over that time, vacuuming countless cars and was called into duty cleaning up the floor in preparation for the Swisstrax. I'm actually surprised the bag lasted this long.

Even though I have ordered a replacement 1/4 MTM fitting for my new foam cannon, I decided to fit the crappy one it came with and found it actually fits the OG Mosmatic gun better than the MTM SGS 28 I was trial fitting it with. Using GSF today.

And yes, it did need washing, I promise. It's been sitting in the garage uncovered for a few weeks now with some smushed bugs and was rained on last week. I only had time for a superficial rinse and blow dry to get it through till today.

My trial of tyre dressings on these PS4S's continues, the Carpro Perl stripped with Wise Guy.

Wheels cleaned with GSF.

New foam gun performed flawlessly, no leaks.

Do you think I used enough? Geepers! I love this soap!

After the wash, I wasted no time in applying some Hyde's to the rotors.

Continuing the OG theme, using OG Drying Aid again today, mainly so I can use that bottle! I somehow don't think Matt would approve of the pink towels though.............down with gender norms I say! :lol

It was then onto another new product, Koch Chemie Motorplast.

Motorplast was designed to work on wet or dry surfaces and is another take on a self leveling dressing, think Meguiars Hyper Dressing. I don't like hosing my engine bay with water so simply misted water from a sprayer onto the plastic parts, then followed up with the product.

At this stage, you can simply close the bonnet and walk away, the product leveling down as it dries. I'm impatient though and decided to level it myself with a engine bay towel and compressed air. This also allowed me to clean up any overspray on the painted surfaces. Once dry, the coated surfaces are said to prevent dirt/dust from sticking. We shall see.

Onto the interior, all that was needed was quick vac and wipe over, returning to Gyeon Interior Detailer today. I also gave the seats a quick wipe with NV Nourish.

Not mentioned earlier, I also used P21S Polishing Soap on the exhaust tips in preparation for some Dr. Beasley's Metal Coat.

After now trying OG Tire Dressing and Carpro Perl on these tyres, I wanted to see what my current favorite could do, NV Onyx.

Firstly though, a little bit of info on these tyres. I have read over the last couple of days that the PS4S are a bit sensitive to dressings. If you look closely at them, the undressed surface has a waxier finish than a lot of other tyres. As such, they seem to unevenly absorb more of the dressing, leading to a patchy finish.

The Dunlop Sport Maxx on the XR8 and Dunlop Sport Maxx RT on the Jaguar are the complete opposite. They have a less porous and shinier sidewall that seems to allow a more consistent dressing. OG Tire Dressing works really well on these tyres. Perl and Onyx seem to work better on the PS4S, they also really benefit from a knock-down wipe after 5 minutes to level them down to a consistent finish.

I applied the product using a new brush I am trying.

Also good for getting the large lip PS4S's have without smearing onto the freshly cleaned wheels.

The high density of soft bristles makes this tiny little brush so, so good at this task. Probably best suited to low profile tyres though, where it can be used very precisely.

After a knockdown, I'm very happy with the appearance.

And NO RUST!!

I also did an express wash of the Ranger, mainly for something to do. The polar blast is supposed to hang around all week.

4. Likes Tasmania, dgage, PaulMys, Azure, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had 8.5 °C and 25 km/h winds Now that's cold even for a Tasmanian!

You definitely have dedication
    Last edited by Tasmania; 05-31-2022 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Spelling

6. Likes DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DFB's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

After the wash, I wasted no time in applying some Hyde's to the rotors.
    Tell me about that Hyde’s, never heard of it, been looking for something for rotors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindyman View Post
    Tell me about that Hyde’s, never heard of it, been looking for something for rotors

Break Buster has anti corrosive ingredients ingredients inside of it so you don't even have to use a special product like that if you use brake Buster.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

9. Likes jlindyman, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindyman View Post

That product is used to inhibit the formation of rust on steel rotors after a wash. I flaunt the limits of what is acceptable posting of non-Auto Geek products, so no link, Google will sort that out for you.

(Mods please note, I am not posting about non-AG brands and products in a competitive or undermining way, I just love products and sharing my experiences.)

I generally wash a car then put it away under a cover, the next time I drive it the wheels are showered in orange dust. Now, I do know you can do the old forward and back trick, but my neighbors already think I'm an idiot without partaking in a display like that.

I finally managed to get some after learning about it a long time ago. I say 'managed' because that product is not really meant to be air-freighted and previous attempts at ordering it have been refused. I'm not sure how I managed to cheat the system, but I have a bottle and I'm treating it like gold. I wonder if I am the only person in Australia to have this product?

To use, wash the car as normal and while still wet, apply enough product to coat the rotor. Then dry the car as normal. There might be some minor spots of rust form but nothing like what happens untreated.

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Break Buster has anti corrosive ingredients ingredients inside of it so you don't even have to use a special product like that if you use brake Buster.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I use wheel cleaners on my own cars very rarely, and even then it's generally an iron remover type. I have noted that Brake Buster can help with the rotor-rust issue and I actually tried the above process with Brake Buster to nil effect.

A product like Hyde's is nth degree detailing though, nice to have but not essential.

11. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another day, another delivery.

This order was really only for the MTM 1/4 fitting for my new foam cannon, but you have to make the shipping worthwhile.

These fittings are stainless steel, it being delivered pre-taped was a nice touch also.

The brush I intend to wash black Porsche 911's with, I'm led to believe that is the best way to clean the paint on those............................................. .................................................. ...............................

Seriously though, I'm going to try dressing larger SUV and 4WD tires with it after a learning about that method here.

Speaking of tire dressings, I just can't have enough! Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is my latest to try.

Optimum have three different tire products. 'Tire Shine' is a wet-look product that doesn't really interest me, same for their 'Tire Coating & Protectant' which is a long term product with a 6 month durability claim. The way I like to play around with tire dressings makes that product redundant for me. The water-based Opti-Bond Gel is more up my alley, although it's said to be a high gloss product, so I'm keen to see what it looks like.

And Koch Chemie Nano Magic Shampoo is basically a fancy version of a wash-n-wax. This product leaves behind some protection after a wash, improving gloss and helping to maintain existing sealants.

And after laundering a new set of glass towels, The Rag Company logo embossed in the corner of these Dry-Me-A-River towels is a nice touch.

As always, I can't wait to have some time to play around with some of this.

13. Likes Klasse Act, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That product is used to inhibit the formation of rust on steel rotors after a wash. I flaunt the limits of what is acceptable posting of non-Auto Geek products, so no link, Google will sort that out for you.

(Mods please note, I am not posting about non-AG brands and products in a competitive or undermining way, I just love products and sharing my experiences.)

I generally wash a car then put it away under a cover, the next time I drive it the wheels are showered in orange dust. Now, I do know you can do the old forward and back trick, but my neighbors already think I'm an idiot without partaking in a display like that.

I finally managed to get some after learning about it a long time ago. I say 'managed' because that product is not really meant to be air-freighted and previous attempts at ordering it have been refused. I'm not sure how I managed to cheat the system, but I have a bottle and I'm treating it like gold. I wonder if I am the only person in Australia to have this product?

To use, wash the car as normal and while still wet, apply enough product to coat the rotor. Then dry the car as normal. There might be some minor spots of rust form but nothing like what happens untreated.

I use wheel cleaners on my own cars very rarely, and even then it's generally an iron remover type. I have noted that Brake Buster can help with the rotor-rust issue and I actually tried the above process with Brake Buster to nil effect.

A product like Hyde's is nth degree detailing though, nice to have but not essential.
    So BB didn’t work for rust?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    So BB didn’t work for rust?

Not really, although that would most likely be due not using enough over a long period. As mentioned, I don't use or need to use a wheel cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of tire dressings, I just can't have enough! Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is my latest to try.
    I use it; good product, easy to use, that bottle will last you forever.

Currently trying their coating on a new set of contis. I like it but application was more difficult.

17. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 4 of 142 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast