autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Vacation Detailing Project - Take Three

I booked this car a couple of weeks ago to coordinate nicely with it's owner. Again, doing this on my 'holiday' suits me as I can do it without a defined timeframe.

I last did this Subaru Forester back in January so it was well due for a detail. Those bugs were BAKED on!

The owner is a 'touch parker'..........

Ooooo, my favorite, dog hair..............

Wheels and tyres first, using the Undressed and Brake Buster combo. The Undressed works well at cleaning plastic wheel arch liners too.

Today I used CarPro Lift for the first time.

Like Descale, Lift has a long dwell period and a rinses easily.

Being mid Autumn, allowing Lift to dwell for an extended period is possible in the sun. Being a higher pH soap, I would not let this dry on the paint though.

Even with the extra kick provided by Lift and extensive rinsing, the bug splatter was welded to the paint. Out with a bug remover and a bug scrubber.

The usual combo of Hydr02, which was actually still present on the paint, and Bead Maker finished the exterior off.

The combination of caffeine deprivation (I skipped my morning coffee this morning, a big mistake), dog hair and spilt sugary liquids nearly killed me on this interior.

Several detailing chemicals, a LOT of vacuuming and two Advil sorted things out in the end.

Something I finally decided to try out on this interior was the CarPro InnerScrub. I've had this in a drawer for probably three years and after seeing something similar work wonders on a grubby steering wheel in another thread here, I got the thing out and gave it a try. WOW, why have I ignored this for so long!

Used with Express, this is a powerful cleaning combination. I used this on areas that had a lot of ingrained dirt such as door sills. It also works really well at getting dirt released from speaker grills.

After all the heavy cleaning, I went through with Megs QID, cleaned the glass with Stoners and misted the mats with some 303 Fabric Guard.

Tires dressed with Duragloss 253 and the detail was complete.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vacation Detailing Project - Take Three

My kind of "holiday", DFB!

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    The combination of caffeine deprivation (I skipped my morning coffee this morning, a big mistake), dog hair and spilt sugary liquids nearly killed me on this interior.
    Not far enough into my morning coffee, I misread that as "Spilt Surgery Liquids"

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Several detailing chemicals, a LOT of vacuuming and two Advil sorted things out in the end.
    Tires dressed with Duragloss 253 and the detail was complete.

Glowing. Nice turnaround - looks fantastic!

For all that pet hair have you tried any of the various tools folks use? Tornador, pumice stone, rubber swiper thing, etc?

All those bugs on the front reminds me of when I recently helped out my neighbor and mounted some tires for their car at my work. I just swapped cars with them for the day, and since they're good neighbors I couldn't help but try and be nice and do a "quick" wash (Ok ok ok, we all know that doesn't exist...). Not only was it a Buick Enclave so it's a fullsize SUV, this was in February and I was clearly scrubbing off all the bugs and junk from last September. I swear I could have mitt washed the exterior of our brick building with less physical effort that car had so little protection!

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack, DFB, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    All those bugs on the front reminds me of when I recently helped out my neighbor and mounted some tires for their car at my work. I just swapped cars with them for the day, and since they're good neighbors I couldn't help but try and be nice and do a "quick" wash (Ok ok ok, we all know that doesn't exist...). Not only was it a Buick Enclave so it's a fullsize SUV, this was in February and I was clearly scrubbing off all the bugs and junk from last September. I swear I could have mitt washed the exterior of our brick building with less physical effort that car had so little protection!
    You should try one of the bug sprays as they really work. I bought CarPro Bug Out and that it what I have used most lately and it is amazing. I use it with the Sonax Bug Sponge. I also purchased the Poorboys Bug Squash as that got good reviews but I haven’t finished off the CarPro Bug Out yet.

And I agree, great job DFB, as expected.

7. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    You should try one of the bug sprays as they really work. I bought CarPro Bug Out and that it what I have used most lately and it is amazing. I use it with the Sonax Bug Sponge. I also purchased the Poorboys Bug Squash as that got good reviews but I haven’t finished off the CarPro Bug Out yet.

And I agree, great job DFB, as expected.
    I've got Bug Squash at home, but didn't have it with me at the shop. I haven't played with it much; I've gotta break it out more often.

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got Bug Squash at home, but didn't have it with me at the shop. I haven't played with it much; I've gotta break it out more often.
    You should. It really melts the bug guts and requires almost no scrubbing.

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not far enough into my morning coffee, I misread that as "Spilt Surgery Liquids"

Glowing. Nice turnaround - looks fantastic!

For all that pet hair have you tried any of the various tools folks use? Tornador, pumice stone, rubber swiper thing, etc?

Thank you!

Depending on the car, I will use a Lily Brush and/or a Fur-eel. A Tornador is a handy thing to have too.

13. Likes SWETM, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A bug remover and a bug removing sponge can save a lot of time.

I used Bug Squash for a while but use Bug-Out or the Koch shown above.

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work and turnaround Vacation Detailing Project - Take Three
    I have thought to get me the innerscrub mitt for a while. Also saw something that looks like the ninja pad I think it's called not from Carpro but have gotten great reviews for the steering wheel and other interior parts. But Carpro has come out with some nice mitts that I think of getting. I have the old microfiber mitt. But destroyed it with washing it with a low quality chenille mitt so it's full with little small green from that. So it's my wheel mitt for the winter tires now.

Skickat från min SM-T736B via Tapatalk

17. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

looks great.....clean cars drive better....I'm a true believer...cars have souls

19. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast