autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What has The Guz been up to? Big Brakes & Coatings

I have not posted reviews or other write ups as of late. Besides being busy at work, I had the project of getting the Grand Prix just right.

Back in May of 2021 I decided it was time to take care of some clear coat issues that wasn’t properly take care of years ago when I had it repainted. It had the appearance of the oxidation but it was more like overspray. It was only on certain parts of the car such as the roof, trunk, hood, rear spoiler and the lower portions of the doors. A compound was not able to remove it.

Rather than trying to learn how to wet sand I figured why not give the CarPro denim and velvet pads a try. Would make for some good content on my channel. At the same time JustJesus picked up a brand new CBEAST which he let me borrow to test out.

Before I continue I have to thank him and say that the CBEAST is a great polisher. Made working on this project smooth and of course saving me lots of time.

As far as the CarPro denim and velvet pads, for those interested in trying them be sure to have plenty of them as they load up fast. They also generate a lot of heat so that is another thing to keep an eye on. And last but not least have a good compound.

I used CarPro UltraCut as I was sent this to review at the time by Avi of CarPro. What a great compound. I had zero dusting during this entire process which is impressive. Here are the results of the leveled clear.

Don’t worry I have a paint gauge and this car has plenty of paint on it. I would not recommend doing this on factory paint as it is already thin. But for a respray it is worth a shot if one is not confident in learning how to wet sand and leaving sanding marks everywhere.

I did have to follow up with UltraCut on a foam cutting pad to clear up some induced defects. I ended up polishing with CarPro Reflect after that to further refine the finish.

Before

After

Finally was the coating. I had purchased some IGL Kenzo Graphene Reinforced which further enhanced the end result. Coating was overall straight forward to apply or so I thought. The base coat is indeed slicker than the top coat. I was expecting the complete opposite. Kenzo comes in 20ml bottles. Keep this in mind.

Walkaround outside. The car was looking fantastic with the leveled clear.

At the time I thought I was done until the first wash. That is when I noticed inconsistent results on half of the car. I could immediately tell that something didn’t look right during the first wash. I started by coating the hood and the passenger side and this side hadwater sticking to it while the driver side was repelling water beautifully. I started off on the passenger side and of course I got better at applying the coatings.

Kind of a bummer given that Kenzo is not cheap. It was application error on my part and the top coat more than likely wiped off too soon plus it was hot and humid at the time of application. I made a video stating that it takes a couple times to really get to know a coating and mistakes often happen. See it still happens to the best of us. Kenzo did look great and the water behavior was rather impressive.

Unfortunately I could not go back and reapply the coating as they only come in 20mlbottles and I did not have enough. So I was just playing around with toppers until it was time to polish and re-coat with something else that I had on hand.

I ended up going with P&S Legend topped with P&S Sole. Both new products onto the market.

I gave the car a decon once again and this time I polished the car with Dr. Beasley’s NSP 95 followed by NSP 45. These primer polishes are great. No need for a panel wipe as there are no oils per Dr. Beasley’s. A huge time saver. NSP 150 was not used as I had no need to use it.

Here is the correcting ability of NSP 95 which is a medium cut polish. Some slight micro-marring on the soft pillar using the orange HDO pad on the PXE 80.

One thing to keep in mind when using NSP 45 is that there is a ghosting effect that returns after wipe off. This is completely normal. Simply wipe the area with a towel and then coat right over it. It will not come back. See the right pillar of what I am referring to.

I ended up re-coating the side glass with CarPro FlyByForte V4 which is the newest version from CarPro.

Proceeded with coating the paint with P&S Legend. This coating will make you work for it as it is dependent on humidity and temperature. It can flash as fast roughly 30 seconds up to a minute. For me it was around 30 seconds. I can see this creating some issues for newbies who have never applied a coating. Two layers is recommended for this coating and it hardens up rather quickly on the applicator.

P&S Sole on the other hand is a dream to work with. Very user friendly. And it has a peppermint scent to it. Long working time and will rainbow.

In the meantime I came across a set of caliper off a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP calipers at my local salvage yard. So that meant it was a brake upgrade for the 1999 Grand Prix. So off I went to rebuild the calipers and purchase the two front brake lines and repaint the calipers to red (keeping them period correct) and picking up a set of rotors.

At this time Adams released their new Advanced Graphene Ceramic Coating. I ended up polishing the wheels with Shine Supply Slick Back Primer Polish, let them sit for an hour after wipe off and proceeded to coat the wheels with 2 layers of the coating. Slick Back does not require panel wipe if given an hour to cure after wipe off.

I also replaced the center cap overlay with a replica of the center cap emblem that came on the OEM 16’s for this model.

Once the brakes were done and the wheels reinstalled, I was able to get a look at the car after all this work.

The new brakes fill out the rear of the 18’s so much better. Not to mention the increase in stopping power going to a dual piston caliper in the front compared to factory single piston.

Front

Rear

First wash and I used Bead Maker as a drying aid. Bead Maker is designed and recommended as the maintenance topper for the P&S coatings. Bead Maker leaving that nice amplified gloss.

Great gloss after using Bead Maker.

Walk Around with the P&S Legend + Sole combination.

First Wash topped with Bead Maker

Wash and topped with the new gloss enhancer Dream Maker

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What has The Guz been up to? Big Brakes & Coatings

I saved that last pic, looks amazing Guz! Did you pull the engine/trans from that GXP tooWhat has The Guz been up to? Big Brakes & Coatings

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Auto settingWhat has The Guz been up to? Big Brakes & Coatings

4. Likes The Guz, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I saved that last pic, looks amazing Guz! Did you pull the engine/trans from that GXP tooWhat has The Guz been up to? Big Brakes & Coatings

the transmission from the GXP was garbage in that car. couldn't hold the stock power of the 5.3l so I hope not. personally, the rotors on them weren't much better. they will crack if they aren't already. just a matter of time.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    the transmission from the GXP was garbage in that car. couldn't hold the stock power of the 5.3l so I hope not. personally, the rotors on them weren't much better. they will crack if they aren't already. just a matter of time.
    Looking at it from a plug and play angle but then again a couple tweaks to the blown 3800 and your pretty close to that 5.3L.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at it from a plug and play angle but then again a couple tweaks to the blown 3800 and your pretty close to that 5.3L.

I was big into the L67 crowed and racing scene. I had a 1997, 1999 GTP and a 2006 GXP. Did Bob Bondurant's 5 day course in 2005 with a GXP in it too. It's why I bough the car a month later. I know the platforms inside and out. Remember my original screen name was PDQGP. Pretty Damn Quick Grand Prix. Ran low 12's in my GTP back in the day.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Lol no. There is no point to swap it. It is not plug and play and would require a full re-wire. The GXP had the front end crushed in anyway. I picked up the caliper for $150

personally, the rotors on them weren't much better. they will crack if they aren't already. just a matter of time.
    I purchased new parts and did not take the rotors that were on that car.

9. Likes TTQ B4U, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy Moly, Mike!!

What an incredible job!!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    At the same time JustJesus picked up a brand new CBEAST which he let me borrow to test out.

Before I continue I have to thank him and say that the CBEAST is a great polisher. Made working on this project smooth and of course saving me lots of time.
    You're welcome. Well, if you insist. Send gift cards to JustJesus, PO BOX...hahahaha

Glad you got a chance to use it and provide your feedback on it.

Man, the car looks so good. Those before/after shots! Wowzers. That final pic with Beadmaker...OMGoodness.

Good post. Good work. Good read. Thanks Guz

13. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, PaulMys, noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was big into the L67 crowed and racing scene. I had a 1997, 1999 GTP and a 2006 GXP. Did Bob Bondurant's 5 day course in 2005 with a GXP in it too. It's why I bough the car a month later. I know the platforms inside and out. Remember my original screen name was PDQGP. Pretty Damn Quick Grand Prix. Ran low 12's in my GTP back in the day.
    GXP at BondurantWhat has The Guz been up to? Big Brakes & Coatings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast