autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Progress on the SB Honda

Living in the Mojave kills cars. This shitbox lives outside & there's a small window most days when it isn't too hot to work on it. Did the left third of the roof this evening...

In the interest of being honest, this car cost precisely $1.00 & it's value varies with how much gas is in the tank.

Progress on the SB Honda-20210905-190445-jpg

2. Likes dgage, Buster906 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Progress on the SB Honda

Just take your time with it. Good luck!

4. Likes ZRX61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The portion you worked on looks better than the other, so good going so far!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

6. Likes ZRX61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit more progress on the right side, as you can see some parts of the paint/clearcoat is completely buggered. I think the previous owners son may have buffed it with a paver...

Progress on the SB Honda-20210909-132306-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Was just reading Mikes posts about the Meg's #7. I found some in the garage yesterday that must be more than 12 years old. Gave it a shake, still liquid. Sounded like there may be a *lump* in there though. Shook it some more. Grabbed a plastic straw, removed cap & gave it a poke. No lump, gave it a stir. Pulled the straw out to find there was nothing sticking to it, looked clean enough to drink through (I didn't test that possibility). Bizarre
    Thought I'd try it on a small spot...(about half that spot on the right rear of the roof) right now it's about 105deg outside & the car is so hot you can't touch it. It instantly *hid* (fixed?) some of the damage. Will follow up in the morning when the car is still in the shade. Not going to try leaving it on the car for 24 hours though...probably have to chisel it off with a jackhammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Got ambitious & did a few more spots/areas about 90 minutes ago after the car was in the shade & had cooled down. Just went back out there to give it rub to remove it. Can't report of progress as it's actually dark, will have a look in the morning... however I could see clear delineation between the bits I did & the parts I didn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Gave it some more #7 this morning & then it got hot. Mixed results. The crazing on the fender/hood pretty much disappeared where I made some effort. The roof looks like a patchwork quilt & there are still parts that haven't been touched. Some of the patches came out well, others not so much.
    Deck lid resembles another quilt.
    With that said, that untouched stripe in the middle of the roof is what most of the paint looked like a week ago:

Fender & hood crazing (yeah, that's going nowhere, altho it did diminish after #7 a bit):

Decklid looked like that stripe on the roof, getting there (ignore the bumper)

And it rained...(hood)

On the upside, It will be in the garage for a week in a couple of months & then I can get stuck in. Given the value of the SB Honda it's just not worth the effort to paint it, so I'm going to mess with the paint & see where I get with it. I'll concentrate on the roof for now. Haven't fired up the power tools yet.

In contrast, my '99 Kaw 1100 (120k mile) looks like I just uncrated it

Post Thanks / Like

In my continuing exercise in futility I attacked the hood today....It will look good 100 yards away at 100mph...on a moonless night.

This is what looked like this morning...

Bought some Griots compound stuff at the A Zone (was actually looking for something else, but seduced by the pretty colors)

Fired up the PC, tried a spot... used one of those godawful disposable 3in pads (white) I bought some time back.

Dagnabbit, now I have to do the entire hood..

The paint on the hood has what looks like a near terminal case of acne. There are more pits, holes & cracks in this paint than you would think possible without driving through a nailstorm (that's not a typo)

The front of the fenders & hood looks like this:

Rolled it back outside before I got too ambitious...It's only 83deg today.

Those who possess real knowledge are rare. Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still. The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

12. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have done extremely well on that paint. I feel that you are pretty much as far as you can go. It does look night/day better!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

14. Likes ZRX61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well I still have to sort the roof out. The first pic in Post #7 is a bit confusing. That is indeed the reflection of clouds in the very lower left corner, but that isn't cloud reflections in the rest of the pic.. it's the paint/clear...
    Maybe I should just drive it on cloudy days

Also: Everyone else can say "At least I wasn't starting with paint like that SB Honda"
    Those who possess real knowledge are rare. Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still. The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast