autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: After the Road Trip

Thanks Jacob.

Motorcycles are certainly a different animal than cars... Lots of nooks and crannies and tedious hand operations.

My leaf blower is dedicated for detailing... It's never been used for yard work. It's a relatively cheap option (~ $100 vs. ~ $250 for the MetroVac) that works for me.

For the clay selection... No real set-in-stone decision process. I started with the fine grade and bumped it up when I felt it was appropriate. And yes, I was doing the baggie test throughout the process.

The hand polishing... Yeah, motorcycles certainly have a few areas where hand polishing is necessary. I like to use a cut & folded-to-size microfiber towel for that. The folded microfiber towel disperses any finger pressure and provides a more uniform pressure than a foam applicator. Like I've said in some other threads, I've been hand polishing paint back to the late 1960s so it's kind of second nature to me.

2. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2022 trip is about to commence... I'm leaving tomorrow around midnight (give or take an hour or so). I'm leaving in the middle of the night to avoid the daytime desert heat as best I can. Even at night it will be in the 90's but at least it's not 100+ with the sun beating on you.

I'm heading up through Vegas and Salt Lake City on my way to Casper, Wy. Visiting an old friend there. Then on Saturday I'm heading to Sturgis for a few days where another friend has rented a house for the week, and then on to Ohio.

Time to get packing!

4. Likes Jayfro, opie, PaulMys, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    My 2022 trip is about to commence... I'm leaving tomorrow around midnight (give or take an hour or so). I'm leaving in the middle of the night to avoid the daytime desert heat as best I can. Even at night it will be in the 90's but at least it's not 100+ with the sun beating on you.

I'm heading up through Vegas and Salt Lake City on my way to Casper, Wy. Visiting an old friend there. Then on Saturday I'm heading to Sturgis for a few days where another friend has rented a house for the week, and then on to Ohio.

Time to get packing!
    Have a fun and SAFE trip, John!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got back home Friday night. 2 1/2 weeks, 5,761.5 miles. Had a great trip!

I'm going to start cleaning/detailing the bike this week. No pictures this time, or maybe I'll add a few later, as the detailing process will be nearly identical to that documented at the start of this thread last year.

8. Likes dgage, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fist time around turned out amazing....you have the touch, my friend. Glad you had a safe trip, and I'm always about more pics if you have some.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123