autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: After the Road Trip

Thanks for sharing and all the pictures. Sounds like you ride enough that you worked at staying hydrated. That 110 degree heat all day is a chore. These new bikes do handle the heat much better.

Any roadside visits for speeding?

Post Thanks / Like

Surgically cleaned! It’s literally perfect. Nice pics. That’s serious riding.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Small world. I grew up in Lyndhurst with family all through the areas of Mayfield, Richmond, etc. The area has certainly changed but I am still proud to have called it home.
    Me too! Even though I've been in CA for 40 years now I'm still really happy to have grown up where I did and it will always be home to me.

What street did you grow up on? I grew up on Jeannette, off of Highland just west of Trebisky, before you go down the hill to Euclid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Burger View Post
    Thanks for sharing and all the pictures. Sounds like you ride enough that you worked at staying hydrated. That 110 degree heat all day is a chore. These new bikes do handle the heat much better.

Any roadside visits for speeding?
    I drank at least a quart of Gatorade and/or water per hour. I learned a long time ago about keeping hydrated when riding in hot weather. Funny thing though, I carry a soft-sided cooler with me on my passenger seat with a water bladder in it that I can sip on as I ride, but it broke on the first day. I had to pull over and stop every 30 minutes or so to hydrate.

Another funny thing is that I thought I'd do the trip a little earlier in the season this year, rather than July, August, or September, primarily to avoid the extreme heat. That decision sure backfired. I wanted to do it in May, but a hernia surgery on April 26th pushed me out into June.

As for speeding tickets... I learned that too although only recently. It took a long time for me to realize I'm not 18 anymore LOL. I used to plan for two tickets per trip until about 4 or 5 years ago. Now I set the cruise for 10 over and I've never gotten a ticket using that methodology, at least on the Interstate portions of the ride.

The last ticket I can remember on one of these trips was in Louisiana in 2016.

EDIT: Look what I found...
    After the Road Trip-wp_20160803_22_21_16_pro-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    Surgically cleaned! It’s literally perfect. Nice pics. That’s serious riding.
    Thank You.

Like I said earlier... That was the goal. It's close!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome dissertation, and great pics John!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting! Good read, and great work cleaning it back up...and getting it looking great!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

9. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the pictures don't really show how clean your bike is. I keep mine very clean, but you are way next level. Especially for someone who actually rides!

I too have a bladder with extra long drink hose. It's worth the little bit of hassle. Especially when forgetting to unclip the hose before dismounting.

Works much better not getting speeding tickets!

Good on you for a safe trip. I'll take the heat over riding in the rain.

11. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Thanks for posting! Good read, and great work cleaning it back up...and getting it looking great!
    Thanks.

I wish I had the photo skills that you and TTQ B4U have to really do justice for the results. The photos you two guys post of your work are phenomenal.

13. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You just gave us one hell of a motorcycle detailing class!

I found it to be very nice how you broke down everything including the precise amount of hours spent on each section of the motorcycle!

The way you did this is not only a show and shine article but a how to article as well.

I noticed you mentioned that you used a leaf blower to dry the bike. I actually have a tool called the Metrovac Air Force Express that works perfect for drying motorcycles.

Here's the link:
    MetroVac Air Force Express 25

The Airforce Express blows warm filtered air, and I use mine all of the time. You will either have to purchace, or fabricate a clamp to keep the hose from blowing off of the unit, but what I did with mine was simply wrap masking tape around the hose tightly where the hose plugs into the unit around the steel metal outlet.

You can store the unit in a sealed container when not in use to keep contaminants from getting into the system, or seal up the inlet and blower end of the hose in a manner of your choosing.

I'm curious to see how you knew when to use the fine vs medium grade autoscrub pads. Did you perform a baggie test on each section as you clayed? After the Road Trip

I really love how well organized your set up is and you definitely have some cool tools and great products!

I'd like to see some hand techniques of how you polished the more complex areas as this is something I'm trying to learn myself.

Thank you so much for your article! I learned a bunch!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

15. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Likes 2black1s liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast