autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!

Hello all. I have to start by thanking so many of the folks here for welcoming a newb like me and freely offering advice and ideas. This is an amazing resource.

About 2-3 months ago, I started to ask about taking better care of my bike in a detailing subsection of an HD forum. A member there pointed me here and offered a lot of advice and encouragement as well.

A few weeks back I started one of the biggest undertakings I've tried in a while. Most of the bike came apart, and as each piece was completed, I slowly reassemble the bike. I feel like it really turned out great.

I'll start with a pic of the bike as it stands right now. This is a 2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide with the standard features that come with a CVO including an extended rear fender extension, various chrome trim and accents, CVO tank console, hidden gas cap, Airflow controls and running boards, stretched hard bags, CVO exclusive custom paint, painted inner fairing with CVO inlay, Boom GT 6.5 Infotainment head unit, cruise control, ABS, Link Brakes, and the upgraded OEM rear suspension.

A few extras that I've added:

• I removed the OEM amps and speakers in the bags and fairings and replaced with aftermarket equipment. I had a pro outfit reprogram the head unit. We replaced the rear Boom 5x7 speakers in the rear with 6x9 DB Drives. Using adapters we were able to keep the original cutout look on top of the bags and preserve the auto lock features. Aftermarket kits usually nix any auto locks on hard bags. We replaced the Boom speakers in the fairing with Audio Dynamics component speakers. We floated the tweeter in the grill of the new 6.5s in the fairing. We eliminated both HD amps and replaced with one Arc Audio Moto 600.4 hidden in the fairing. It sounds incredible.
    • I had the 114" replaced with a 117". You'll see the 114" markings in the pics following, but she's got the big bore kit and a new cam. After tuning the HP went from about 85 to 115 and the TQ went from about 90 to 126. It starts pulling pretty hard at about 2500 RPMs and I really don't lose much before the rev limiter kicks in.
    • For security, I installed the INNOVV K2 dual channel camera. It starts recording the minute I turn the bike on and stops about 10-15 seconds after I shut it off. It has a GPS, and as it records, the video displays speed and location. Both front and rear camera record to a looping DVR which rewrites after about 20 hrs of video. Video is 1080p and is easy to pull via WiFi or by physically pulling the chip.
    • I added the matching Arctic Black and Dark Slate Candy tour pack with a chrome luggage rack and the CVO passenger backrest. Every once in a while someone comments that the pack looks set back. I added an aftermarket extension kit to give me and my wife a bit more room as we ride two up quite a bit. We are headed for Rushmore in a few weeks.

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1995-jpg

Here is the list of products I used:

Reset Intensive Car Wash
    Gyeon Iron
    Wolfgang Clay and Lube
    Chemical Guys Lube
    Wolfgang Uber Compound
    Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
    Gyeon Prep
    Gyeon CanCoat
    Nevr-Dull
    Sonax Total Wheel Cleaner

Griot's G8
    Various 2" and 3" pads

I started by taking the bike apart. I removed the front fairing, windshield, seats, tour pack, bags, side covers, front fender, rear fender extensions, fuel tank, fork cover, and oil cooler cover.

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1640r-jpg

I started with the wheels. I really had to work to get them clean. I used Sonax and a microfiber mitt and covered every bit. After they were clean, I used Gyeon Iron and then clay barred the entire wheel including the hub assembly. After clay barring, I hand polished the painted surfaces with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and the chrome with Nevr-Dull. The wheels were then wiped down thoroughly with Gyeon Prep and then sealed with Gyeon CanCoat.

Before and after:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1763-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1979-jpg

I took the lower fairings apart and removed the top fairing cap. The fairings were cleaned front and back, inside and out and then clay barred, hand polished, and sealed. I machine polished the caps before reinstalling those. As well, the entire crash bar was cleaned, clayed, hand polished, and sealed.

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1739-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1815-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1988-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1913-jpg

I took the rear fender apart, including the extension. I was able to machine polish the lower portion of the extension but did had to hand polish the side fillers. I spent quite a bit of time on the rear fender. The rear fender was why I decided to try Wolfgang's Uber Compound. I needed a heavy hitter with a hard cutting pad for some really bad areas on the fender. While polishing other parts of the bike I used Griot's hard white 2" pad and Wolfgang's Uber compound as the first step followed by Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze. I regret not doing a better job of photographing some of the deep scratches on the rear fender. I was not able to make the fender perfect, but once it was reassembled, it turned out amazing.

Here are some before and after photos of the fender:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1777-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1898-jpg

While things were opened up and off the bike, I did some things that won't ever be seen. You'll see a before and after of the right side battery access area where I cleaned up some wiring. I also included a pic of the inside of the faring which I cleaned and dusted. Before reassembling the bike, I went through it from tip to stern and made sure every surface got some attention. Wires were carefully dusted and cleaned. I carefully cleaned the entire frame, polished it, and sealed it. The electrical bus under the tank was left shut, but the outside was cleaned and sealed as well. Behind the fairing and fork skirt were parts of the fork assemble that got cleaned as well. I polished and sealed the center painted portion of the fork assemble and simply cleaned and polished the two steel portions of the fork behind the fairing.

Inside of faring before and after:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1710-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1863-jpg

Right battery access area before and after:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1749-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1907-jpg

Fork assembly under fairing before and after:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1714-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1869-jpg

The tank turned out really great. It was already in good shape and I only used the Uber Compound on it in one spot. I removed the center console and polished the entire tank top to bottom. The groove underneath got cleaned, hand polished, and sealed. The center console got cleaned and sealed inside and out and then reinstalled. I did not get before pics of the tank after I washed and decontaminated. I only have the finish shots to share here:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1952-9-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1977-jpg

The engine has painted heads, some wrinkle style paint, and a bit of chrome. The entire engine was washed with Reset and immediately dried. Reset left the surface of the wrinkle paint clean and bright. I did nothing else to that. All painted and chrome parts got cleaned, and polished. I sealed the painted parts of the engine and transmission after hand polishing.

Here's a before and after of the engine after cleaning:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1730-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1819-jpg

Bags and side covers came really great as well as the side covers. The project took a bit longer than I was expecting and in my haste to finish the last bit, I forget to get pics of the bags, tour pack, and fairing before correction. There were some light boot scuffs on the bags. The side covers were trashed and needed a lot of correcting. The tour pack was near factory condition. I polished it with a finishing glaze and it looks better than new.

The finished fairing:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1983-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1935-jpg

The finished hard bags and a side cover:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1933-jpg2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1970-jpg

Here is the finished front fender which was removed and cleaned, polished, and sealed on a bench as well:

2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!-img_1980-jpg

I've had her out a few times since. She just drips, she looks so good. I'm pretty new at this so next time, I'll do better.

Cheers all!!!

2. Likes fly07sti, PaulMys, dennis b, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!

Looks great!

4. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Likes Lance Mark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lordy....That'll take a lot of caffeine to do all that! Lol...

Seriously---a great job there.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Yup........ You've been bitten by the detailing bug!

Bike looks GREAT!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's amazing, I wouldn't even know where to start with a bike2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

9. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bike looks very nice!!!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

11. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Yup........ You've been bitten by the detailing bug!

Bike looks GREAT!!
    Thanks.

A little bit of truth goes a long way. Facts are facts, I was slowly wrecking the finish on my bike by the way I was caring for it.

I learned a lot through the process and as I look at these pics, I see stuff that could have turned out a bit better.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    That's amazing, I wouldn't even know where to start with a bike2017 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide FLXHSE - Just another hog!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    After a couple of days of just taking it apart, I was looking at my garage and I had parts, screws, nuts, bolts, and tools everywhere....and I thought to myself.....what did you do?

It was overwhelming and some of the disassembly was tricky. I started to panic a bit at one point as I looked at the whole project. The truth of the matter is that though I did a lot of things, it was a lot of simple things. Anyone who is able to turn a screw driver or a wrench could do this. When the big picture got too much for me, I just compartmentalized the project and attacked it one screw or bolt at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz View Post
    Thanks.

A little bit of truth goes a long way. Facts are facts, I was slowly wrecking the finish on my bike by the way I was caring for it.

I learned a lot through the process and as I look at these pics, I see stuff that could have turned out a bit better.
    The bike looks great! Good to see a fellow Harley owner that realizes Lemon Pledge is not the proper way to clean a bike.

16. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And I thought I was the crazy one taking care of my bikes... You've got me blown away.

The most time I've ever put into detailing mine is about three days and I've never done so much disassembly for the sole purpose of detailing.

Good Job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast