autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You just gotta LOVE Pure Black and here's why...Lexus Love Inside

So a local friend of mine who purchased a new Lexus GS350 AWD last year had been toying with getting her car detailed but wasn't sure it was going to make a huge difference or not. As time went by and now close to 9,000 miles she started to see some subtle concerns as it relates to marring and while overall the car looked good, it didn't jump out and really POP like she knew it could.

Given it's a Lexus and Toyota/Lexus paint, along with lots of Japanese counterparts, tend to have softer/easier to correct paint, I informed her after seeing it in person that it wouldn't take much in the way of correction to get her perfection. That said together we decided on just a Basic Clean & Protect. Even though it's not a "correction" package, I feel my processes are pretty well dialed-in and wouldn't ever over-charge someone for a service, so I pretty much knew I could get her ride looking amazing without breaking the bank and use that difference to upgrade her coating choice.

Protection wise, she did just that and invested a multi-layer application of Cquartz UK 3.0 and Cquartz SiC. It's an amazing product set and while time consuming and a little more time consuming to apply, the results are well worth it.

One additional "little something extra" I began to carry and provide customers are really nice silicone license plate frames. I saw these on a recent detail I did and the owner shared with me what they are like and I jumped on them and put them on both of our current vehicles. See the photos and details in the next post here. Really worth it for those interested in preventing any rattles or the dreaded scratches that can happen even with foam backing stops lots of vehicles have.

Now....onto this beautiful Lexus!!

Getting FULL 3-D effect from these awesome tail lamps is housed in ensuring the plastic housing is also fully corrected

Reflections are great and the appearance of a car with great clarity is important but the key to any solid color from black to red to gray for the utmost reflectivity from any angle is the correction of imperfections. Flawless clear allows the depth of the color and paint to really show through.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: You just gotta LOVE Pure Black and here's why...Lexus Love Inside

So in follow up to this detail, the license plate frames I have are here:

Amazon.com

When pulling the plates off her car I noticed the screws used were already rusty and should be replaced. The above frame comes with 2 different sets of self tapping and threaded varieties so bases are covered all around. They also include screw top covers for a nice clean look.

Going forward I'm going to keep 3-4 sets on-hand for customers with new/clean cars that I think will benefit from them as something "a little extra" for them as an appreciation for their trust in my work.

Here are some pics.

The Full backside is covered in a very soft supple silicon material.

The stock plate slides in the molded edges and fitment is perfect.

Time to replace the old hardware too:

The finished product is clean and simple. It's also nice that if you do wish to use an additional frame, I've found they fit just fine over top of this set up and still looks very clean.

2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Likes John U, DFB, Vegas1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great results, nicely played!

Glad you touched on plates. One of my pet peeves is seeing a nice car with rust running off the mounting screws down the plate..... Tacky.

5. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Great results, nicely played!

Glad you touched on plates. One of my pet peeves is seeing a nice car with rust running off the mounting screws down the plate..... Tacky.
    Thanks. I'm always amazed at how the littlest things like this go left untouched by owners. Those screws were rusted in place to the point I thought I might not get them out without some liquid wrench or something. Dealer must have re-used the old screws from her last car when they mounted the plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks fantastic and very nice of you not to needlessly upsell.

I’m thinking of going with Cquartz UK 3.0 and SiC this spring. I’ve read about the SiC requiring a longer flash time but since I’m a hobbyist, that isn’t a problem. I’m mainly looking for better protection and a really slick surface along with good looks. Can you speak more to why you like the combo? Thanks.

8. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome results!

Mine is a Lexus GS350 all wheel drive. Awesome car too!

I think your work is pure perfect! Mine looks great---butttttttt, nothing like those pictures above!

Gonna lay down some Blackfire Black Edition ceramic coating within the next week or so.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

10. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, any I really like the silicone plate frames as well. One issue I had in my Acura TL though is I had to use the right length of bolts as if they were tooling, they wouldn’t tighten down. So I bought a couple different lengths of stainless steel bolts for license frames.

12. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Looks fantastic and very nice of you not to needlessly upsell.

I’m thinking of going with Cquartz UK 3.0 and SiC this spring. I’ve read about the SiC requiring a longer flash time but since I’m a hobbyist, that isn’t a problem. I’m mainly looking for better protection and a really slick surface along with good looks. Can you speak more to why you like the combo? Thanks.
    SiC does or did take longer on my last application but that was in a heated garage during dead of winter. Likely more humid given I had washed in there too. This time flashing wasn't much of an issue at all.

In terms of the combo, I can't speak to why as I'm sure I would like two layers of SiC just as much. It's just part of my process after seeing some other reviews of people laying down SiC over top of UK3.0 that they had great luck with it so that's how I started. I usually do two layers of whatever coating I apply and UK 3.0 has been tried and proven by me and thus I enjoy both.

14. Likes dgage, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love working on black, but owning it is impossible. Unless I have 6 cars and can literally drive and wash the black car once a month, I'm not going to have the time or mental power to own one again. This was fantastic work man, great job.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

16. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't really have the words to describe how well this turned out. Amazing work!!

By chance, did you use Essence to clean up the paint? The depth and clarity is mind blowing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast