autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barn Find - 1950 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe Convertible - Extreme Paint Correction

I love Harley Earl's creations! I have a coffee table book about him.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barn Find - 1950 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe Convertible - Extreme Paint Correction

Hi Mike, I saw you showed Pinnacle advanced compound at the end with the photo of all the tools and products you used. Did you use the pinnacle advance compound? I thought after your initial 2 test spots you felt the Uno pure finishing polish with the white pad was the only correction product and pad you used.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn D View Post

Hi Mike, I saw you showed Pinnacle advanced compound at the end with the photo of all the tools and products you used.

Did you use the pinnacle advance compound?

I thought after your initial 2 test spots you felt the Uno pure finishing polish with the white pad was the only correction product and pad you used.

Good eye!

I did use the Pinnacle Advanced Compound on the passenger side trunk lid. I have no idea why there were a bunch of deeper straight line scratches in this area but there were. After I polished this area out with the RUPES UNO 1 all the millions of shallow scratches were removed and now these deeper scratches stood out like a Sore Thumb.

They were so ugly and obvious that I took the chance and compounded this area with the RUPES yellow foam polishing pad you see here,

After compounding I re-polished with the UNO 1 with a white pad. Then sealed with the Collinite Insulator Wax.

Good eye!

4. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This was a really extensive write up with lots of information I'll be coming back to reference again when I need it.

That car turned out absolutely beautiful!

Would you reccomend the RUPES UNO 1 and the 7 inch white Uro Tec pads for a vinyl wrapped vehicle?

I was also thinking I could use the 7 inch Uro Tec pads and the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

This was a really extensive write up with lots of information I'll be coming back to reference again when I need it.
    Yeah, I went kind of deep in this article. Probably enough info to write a how-to booklet.

That car turned out absolutely beautiful!
    Thank you. I worked really hard on it to not only bring out the most beauty but to also avoid making any mistakes.

Remember - as stated in this write-up, single stage black paint is [generally speaking] the softest paint there is in the soft paint/hard paint spectrum. This means,

• It's easy to correct.
    • It's easy to buff through.

So while buffing a person has to focus intently on the paint all the time. And should you see the ghosting image of primer peaking through at you - be prepared to stop buffing instantly. Been there, done that.

Would you reccomend the RUPES UNO 1 and the 7 inch white Uro Tec pads for a vinyl wrapped vehicle?
    Yes. With the caveat of - Test Spot FIRST.

I was also thinking I could use the 7 inch Uro Tec pads and the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.
    This combo would work and should also be safe and from experience offer more defect removal. Again... test first.

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yeah, I went kind of deep in this article. Probably enough info to write a how-to booklet.

Thank you. I worked really hard on it to not only bring out the most beauty but to also avoid making any mistakes.

Remember - as stated in this write-up, single stage black paint is [generally speaking] the softest paint there is in the soft paint/hard paint spectrum. This means,

• It's easy to correct.
    • It's easy to buff through.

So while buffing a person has to focus intently on the paint all the time. And should you see the ghosting image of primer peaking through at you - be prepared to stop buffing instantly. Been there, done that.

Yes. With the caveat of - Test Spot FIRST.

This combo would work and should also be safe and from experience offer more defect removal. Again... test first.

Thanks Mike! This is really helpful, and I was even thinking of purchasing the SUPA BEAST for the specific job I have in mind.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

10. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Final thoughts on the collinite 845? Ive been using it for a couple years but I'm unsure if I like it yet.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bigben5239 View Post

Final thoughts on the collinite 845? Ive been using it for a couple years but I'm unsure if I like it yet.

I thought it worked great and was easy to work with. If I ever need a simple, old school carnauba wax for some just-polished single stage paint like you see in this article I'll probably use it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe I missed this thread back in January, but better late than never. I'm a Pontiac guy at heart, albeit more later 50's and 60s, up until GM shuttered the Pontiac nameplate, so this was right up my alley. To this day, shuttering Pontiac is one of the major disappointments, completely out of my control, in my lifetime.

Excellent documentation Mike!

Early in the thread when you were documenting the as-is (before) condition, you mentioned that holograms and less than perfect paint finishing was kind of the norm back then, given the tools and polishes available. I think you are being too generous in your assessment. You called that kind of work "hack work" by today's standards. Well it was hack work back then too, even though it was the norm. And all of us that were around back then did it.

But... even with the primitive tools and polishes available back then, better results than the era norm were attainable. Whenever doing my best work back then I would always follow the machine polishing with a light hand polish to remove the holograms before proceeding with either a glaze or a wax. While it is a lot easier to achieve near-perfect results today, it was also attainable back then.

And there were some really nice glazes back then that did wonders for the single stage paints of that era. This one comes to mind...

Barn Find - 1950 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe Convertible - Extreme Paint Correction-fill-n-glaze-jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123