autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

PNS on white Ford Focus

I got the opportunity to deep clean wash our new nanny’s white Ford Focus on Christmas week (12/23 to be exact). I had been trying to put protection on this car for her since last winter or early spring but timing never worked out. She was our occasional babysitter before coming to work full time a month ago. She hasn’t been interested in leaving it over night so I asked her if I could just “wash and wax” during her normal nanny hours and she agreed.

Basically she likes her car that she purchased last fall and she gets the swirl-o-matic wash done every few weeks at like $14 a pop. I couldn’t let this go on which is why I’ve been begging her.

Anyways, the weather worked out to be in the high 40s with sunshine so I went to work.

Presoak:
    I pre-soaked the whole car with Feynlab Pure Rinseless. In the front there was bug guts and tar marks so I also pre-soaked with APC, then WG bug remover, then M37 Tar Remover. Then finally Pure Rinseless in the front after removing the gunk.

Wash:
    I washed with M37 Coating Prep Wash at 1oz:1gal per instructions. I could literally see a shade of brown being removed with each swipe of the mitt. This was only a simple two bucket wash with my oldest mitt as there’s no concern about causing more marring than what the paint already has. Luckily the paint is white so the swirls that already exist don’t stand out too badly.

LSP
    PNS was an obvious choice since it looks great on white, should get the car through winter with protection, and it’s not picky as far as needing a totally smooth, perfect surface. I did not clay, Iron-X or polish.

Then I discovered that PNS ‘seemingly’ isn’t as difficult to apply to an imperfect surface. Perhaps it’s because the paint isn’t totally smooth and corrected, so I’m bugging a tacky LSP onto a rougher surface that I’m used to... whether in my head or not, it just felt like an ‘expected’ amount of effort to buff off. Or maybe I just had no paranoia about marring the paint so I was able to apply more pressure with zero concern. PNS was also applied to all glass. Wheels and tires were cleaned but no protection.

Anyways, the car came out looking nice. I forgot to take ‘before’ pictures at the beginning but I did remember near the end and got a few shots of the previous condition on the passenger side and back.

Before/after during washing:

Post Wash:

PNS Applied:

When she left for the day I watched her from the window and her mouth dropped when she saw it. Then she came back and said it looks better than the day she bought it. All this from 2.5 hours of ‘wash and wax’.

Anyways, now that she’s seen what good care can do, I told her to let me wash it when possible and to reduce/eliminate automatic washes.

And I told her that if she now trusts me, I’ll gladly make it look much better than this in the spring (clay/Iron-X/AIO/final LSP). We’ll see what happens.

Thanks for reading.

2. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, DFB, Jayfro, cullen2505, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PNS on white Ford Focus

That was 'gross'! Looks so much better now and the PNS should help it stay cleaner longer/ease of maintenance as well as survive the winter better.

Well done, it looks great!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PNS on white Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    That was 'gross'! Looks so much better now and the PNS should help it stay cleaner longer/ease of maintenance as well as survive the winter better.

Well done, it looks great!
    Thanks. She has a stone/dirt driveway at home and often has mud sprayed around the front wheel wells, rocker panels and doors. Last week there was only traces of mud rather than huge clumps. The car definitely stayed cleaner than usual and looked clean after rains.