autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: 2020 C8 Corvette Detail by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by zvez View Post

man I wish I could afford a C8!!
    Prices will come down on low mileage used c8s in about a year or so. Just find one that was well taken care of by some guy that simply wants the newest model or wants to change colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post

Looks great Mike!
    Thanks Scott. I really like the color of orange on the C8 your recently detailed. My favorite color is orange and my least favorite is black.

2020 C8 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by axel06 View Post

great work Mike

Thanks Axel. The new C8s and even the C7s are such a paint in the butt to buff out. There's simply no panels larger enough to use a crosshatch buffing pattern so everything is side-to-side.

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! Love the tan interior with that. Seeing so many black interiors gets boring.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    2020 C8 Corvette Detail by Mike Phillips

There's a video on my Facebook page somewhere - in it I talk about what a pain these cars are to machine correct and polish simply because there's not a single large flat panel on them. The body panels are all made-up from multiple, multiple planes. Not a big deal but they do take more technique when running the polisher. Basically you make linear passes instead of crosshatch passes.

Thanks for looking.

So the standard corvette tax still applies. Something about corvettes just take so much longer than normal 2 door sports cars. Did this one have the suction cup marks like the last?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post

So the standard corvette tax still applies. Something about corvettes just take so much longer than normal 2 door sports cars.
    Yep.

A local member of the Stuart Corvette Club stopped by Autogeek yesterday to pick up some supplies. While he was here he shared his new C8 with me, asked me about buffing it out. I pointed out all the PLANES that make up the shape of the body panels on his new Corvette and then explained how you can't run a polisher using the normal crosshatch pattern to buff these planes out. I saw the light bulb go off in his head.

The good news is, well kind of sort of, the paint or more specifically, the clearcoat layer of paint on the new C8 Corvettes is soft so they correct easy. The bad news is they will mar and scratch easy. I shared this with him to and sent him the link to my article that shows how just claying the paint marred it.

Clay mars soft paint - 2020 C8 Corvette - Soft Paint

This is called clay marring - 2020 C8 Corvette

Was just trying to help him or educate him. Better to find this out now then find it out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post

Did this one have the suction cup marks like the last?
    This C8 in this "Show 'N Shine" forum is the same Corvette. The write-up that shows the suction cup staining and imprint is in the "Mike Phillips" forum group here,

Water Spots in Brand New C8 Corvette - DOCUMENT PRE-EXISTING DAMAGE

Here's the link to the video I made that shows the

Mike Phillips - Document Pre-existing Damage - 93 miles on...

Here's a screen grab from the above video...

Cropped out of the above

So same car, two different articles.

And "yes" the imprint stain from the suction cup as well as all the other defects buffed out EASILY. Soft paint on the new C8 Corvettes.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Mike. Do any super cars have adjustable side bolsters?..the sides of the seat that keeps you snug in the seat.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Nice job Mike. Do any super cars have adjustable side boasters? (is that even a word)..the sides of the seat that keeps you snug in the seat.

I'll check with PJ to see if his are adjustable - I think they are.

One thing for sure - the are very pronounced, as it they protrude out like no other seat side bolster I've ever seen.

And "yes" bolster is a word and the correct word to describe the sides of the seat that extend outward to lock you into the seat.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check with PJ to see if his are adjustable - I think they are.

One thing for sure - the are very pronounced, as it they protrude out like no other seat side bolster I've ever seen.

And "yes" bolster is a word and the correct word to describe the sides of the seat that extend outward to lock you into the seat.

I was thinking more about the sides on the bottom of the seat itself. Since there are many shapes and sizes. A big guy might be sitting on top of the bolster instead of it supporting his hips.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry i already asked ..duplicate post on rpm's

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    Question:

You chemically stripped the paint after using NSP 45. Do you feel that the SiO2 primer coat it leaves after polishing survived the chemical stripping before coating it with Black Fire?

I’m trying to adjust my process with the NSP line, as I have all of it. Thanks!
    I am also curious about this as I thought the NSP 45 did not require a panel wipe before applying a ceramic coating over it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

So Craig asked this question,

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post

Question:

You chemically stripped the paint after using NSP 45. Do you feel that the SiO2 primer coat it leaves after polishing survived the chemical stripping before coating it with Black Fire?

I’m trying to adjust my process with the NSP line, as I have all of it.

Thanks!
    I replied I think on a Sunday from the couch and then forgot to get back to him.

I hate typing on my phone / wait till I’m behind a keyboard and I’ll tell you what and why.

And now Jacob has brought the question up again - THANK YOU as I forgot about my promise to follow-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

I am also curious about this as I thought the NSP 45 did not require a panel wipe before applying a ceramic coating over it.

It is accurate to say the Dr. Beasley's NSP 150, 95, 45 and Z1 do NOT need a panel wipe before applying a paint coating. While this car was here, AFTER I did the correction work, it was used for some various other projects. I don't remember off-hand what we we're doing with it so just to ensure nothing was left on the paint - I simply did a panel wipe.

That's the problem sometimes when I have cool cars here, others here at work take advantage to test something, or use a product for a marketing pictures, etc. It happens all the time. IF you look at many of the Autogeek.com Store pages for products a LOT of the time you'll see the featured product being used on a car.

Where did the car come from?

Me.

And here's the deal... there's no rule you cannot first use a Panel Wipe after using a Dr. Beasley's NSP product, personal choice. Jim Lafeber just says it's not necessary. AND - normally I wouldn't.

And from the For What it's Worth files, my brother-in-law PJ was by just last week and I took these 2 pictures. He says he LOVES the BLACKFIRE BLACK EDITION because it keeps his car so clean and when he does wash it for the most part all he has to do is blast it with water. I don't think he'll ever use car wax again.

PJ's C8 Corvette with BLACKFIRE BLACK EDITION Ceramic Paint Coating

Hope that helps...

12. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast