autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My First Time Using a DA - 2007 Kia Sportage

Greetings,

I used a DA for the first time this weekend. I used a G9 on my Kia 2007 Sportage and I only used Girots Garage One Step Sealant after a wash, clay, and dry though it did come out well. I am glad I only did a one step for it took me way longer than I thought it would and now I am primed to try the compound, polish, and wax in the spring.

My First Time Using a DA - 2007 Kia Sportage-img_4650-jpg

2. Likes Klasse Act, MisterSnoop, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My First Time Using a DA - 2007 Kia Sportage

Quote Originally Posted by DaFunkyFish View Post
    Greetings,

I used a DA for the first time this weekend. I used a G9 on my Kia 2007 Sportage and I only used Girots Garage One Step Sealant after a wash, clay, and dry though it did come out well. I am glad I only did a one step for it took me way longer than I thought it would and now I am primed to try the compound, polish, and wax in the spring.

My First Time Using a DA - 2007 Kia Sportage-img_4650-jpg
    Real car, real products and real results!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Good job!

For daily drivers and those of us that don't do this for a living, AIOs are a great resource. It really will take a lot of extra work to get a little better results with a 3 step process.

Mike Phillips

First, here's the full size version of your picture,

Greetings,

I used a DA for the first time this weekend.
    And compared to working by hand, what would you tell others that have not make the jump to machine polishing?

I used a G9 on my Kia 2007 Sportage and I only used Girots Garage One Step Sealant after a wash, clay, and dry though it did come out well.
    I don't think I've used the latest version of thier One Step Sealant but I'm sure it's like all other Griot's products and top notch in quality. They have a really good chemist.

I am glad I only did a one step for it took me way longer than I thought it would and now I am primed to try the compound, polish, and wax in the spring.

And your comment about your expereice in how much time just a ONE-STEP product took when detailing a car from start to finish is exactly what I'm talking about in post #17 here,

Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And compared to working by hand, what would you tell others that have not make the jump to machine polishing?

I would tell other who have not yet made the jump to machine polishing to investigate machines, pick one, watch videos on the machine, watch Mike's video on taping up the car, and then make sure you narrow down a plan for your first detail. Do not overthink it though do have a plan. Your first detail will be fun and I would say you will learn something new for next time with each and every detail you do.

Even when I had my machine I did a full wash, decon, clay bar, and spray wax detail. The Kia came out good and this got me excited to use the machine in a few weeks time.

Someone making the jump to machine polish may also want to start small. Just get that first detail under you belt. I went with an all in one product over my original plan of a three step compound, polish, and wax. I did a one step for I was not attempting this over a three day weekend, daylight savings time is providing less light, and this upcoming weekend calls for rain on Sunday and who knows, the week after it may even be a bit too cold to run a hose etc. so I hit it while I had the time. I cleaned, clayed, and dried my car, left it in garage over night, taped in the morning and then started with the machine. Eat breakfast before starting and take some breaks. I did three passes and I was still at it for many hours.

I would say to watch that tape video and as stated the time spent taping will be far less than removing product later. I did have splatter once later in my detail as I was getting a little fatigued and I think I fired it up slightly before having the machine on the panel. Taping also made my hand polishing of smaller areas more efficient as well.
    If I were to use this one step product again I would need to make a better plan for one thing. It says to do you passes and wipe after 15-30 minutes. I possibly wiped some sections without the same amount of product set-in time so to say. I am wondering if it is even fair to do the whole car with the machine without wiping and then wipe it all at once.

Man, this is so cool. My back may say otherwise but I cannot wait to do this again!

I don't think I've used the latest version of their One Step Sealant but I'm sure it's like all other Griot's products and top notch in quality. They have a really good chemist.

I do not have experience with other brands other than their spray wax though I am expecting rain today and into tomorrow so it will be nice to see how it handles that.

And your comment about your experience in how much time just a ONE-STEP product took when detailing a car from start to finish is exactly what I'm talking about in post #17 here,

Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

I do not think most people understand what goes in to detailing and the fact that they should actually care about and want to protect their paint. Not too long ago I didn't know about decontamination and clay bar. After the first time I used it and did a hand waxing I now cringe when you run your hand along paint and you can feel the filth. A friend of mine has a black sedan and does not clean his own car. "I have it done by the pros" is what he says and that means taking it the local car wash. Knowing what I know now I want to cringe at all of his outstanding swirl marks, hehe.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post