autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Golf R Get's Ready for Winter

Never really spent much time looking at the VW Golf R but this 2019 is pretty darn nice. Like a fully loaded all digital dash Audi Hatch really. Love that it's a 6 speed too.

This new Ohio resident who moved in from West Virginia had never had a vehicle detailed but after 18k miles and a little over 13 months of ownership and never really doing much to it, he decided it was time.

Not wanting to spend a ton was a goal which worked out well as I don't look to put people in a package that they don't need. Under all the dirt and bugs was a super thick paint that honestly didn't have much in the way of scratches or swirls. My Basic Polish & Protect was perfect for him and even this package yielded a nearly full correction. As a fall upgrade I included a 12mo ceramic coating at No Charge as I know once he sees how it sheds dirt and water he will love it and never go back to a sealant again.

Process included:
    • Wash & Decon including ferrous removal using Adam's Iron Remover
    • Medium Nano Mitt
    • Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner
    • Blackfire APC for wheel wells
    • Flex XCE polisher with Lake Country Orange Flat Pads
    • GYEON Primer as the polish
    • GYEON CanCoat as the LSP
    • Griot's Garage Fine Glass Polish
    • Rust Oleum's Never Wet for Glass
    • Meg's Hyperdressing on Tires

Again, overall, the car was really just dirty, laden with bugs due to lots of WV travels and the roof loaded with tree sap from parking it outside. Paint contamination was badly needed.

Once area that was swirled pretty bad and is very typical were the B-Pillars. It was something that bothered him a lot and not surprising considering it's an area seen every time he gets in his car. An easy fix that is very noticeable once out in the sun.

One thing I really like about the car is the piano black trim. Sets off the pearl paint so nicely. Gloss black wheels can be a pain but they do look good.

Another subtle touch is finally getting his exhaust tips back to new again. dirty and soot covered, they needed a little love.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR, Bruno Soares, fly07sti, DFB and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Awesome Golf R Get's Ready for Winter

GREAT work!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd have Gloss black wheels for winter....because I hate them! I can't believe this fad has lasted this longAwesome Golf R Get's Ready for Winter The word has had to have gotten out about how they "really" look during ownership. Something gloss black that is that low to the ground, gets hammered with Brake dust, dirt, road film and heat, why bother and that's just the maintence part, don't get me started on how you can't see the style of the wheel because it gets washed out.

Btw, the detail is perfect as always! I've gotta tell you we've got some incredible talent on this forum who work out of their garagesAwesome Golf R Get's Ready for WinterAwesome Golf R Get's Ready for WinterAwesome Golf R Get's Ready for Winter

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

6. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done! Pillars got knocked out of the park and the owner should now be happy every time they walk up to the vehicle!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

8. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'd have Gloss black wheels for winter....because I hate them! I can't believe this fad has lasted this longAwesome Golf R Get's Ready for Winter The word has had to have gotten out about how they "really" look during ownership. Something gloss black that is that low to the ground, gets hammered with Brake dust, dirt, road film and heat, why bother and that's just the maintence part, don't get me started on how you can't see the style of the wheel because it gets washed out.

Btw, the detail is perfect as always! I've gotta tell you we've got some incredible talent on this forum who work out of their garagesAwesome Golf R Get's Ready for WinterAwesome Golf R Get's Ready for WinterAwesome Golf R Get's Ready for Winter

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Most only see when they are clean and like the looks. Like a black car..... their beautiful till their yours....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes TTQ B4U, Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work as usual!

tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

12. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job.
    I also had crazy amount of scratches on the B-pillar black trim on my R.
    I hit mine with a LC white pad and Ultimate Polish and got about 90-95% of the scratches out.

Question: you say you use Rust-oleum Never Wet for the glass? How well does it work and how long does it last? I've heard it works good for fabric (at least short term), but I've never seen it used on glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    Question: you say you use Rust-oleum Never Wet for the glass? How well does it work and how long does it last? I've heard it works good for fabric (at least short term), but I've never seen it used on glass.
    Works great. Normal use it lasts 6 to 8 weeks plus.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

16. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW - The carbon coated exhaust tips were the first thing I cleaned on my R.
    I went through many different combinations to get them clean (especially the inner ones).
    Chrome polish, rubbing compound, soft scrub, terry towel, microfiber, magic eraser.....whatever I could find at home that I thought might work.

In the end, what worked for me was aluminum foil and WD40. I think the foil was the key. It was soft enough not to destroy the chrome plating, but aggressive enough to scrub off the carbon. Balled the foil up, sprayed some WD40 and went to town. Wasn't perfect, but it was a huge transformation from black, carbon coated to glossy chrome.

18. Likes Azure liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast