autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Subie Snax's Garage

Hello all,

This thread is going to serve as my personal log where I am going to keep track of my own personal vehicles and any other jobs I find myself doing (detailing related only of course.)

Cars currently in Snax's garage:

2017 Subaru WRX Ltd (Pure Red)
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport (Bronzefire Metallic)

10/9/2020

As I literally just purchased my first two DAs and am still waiting on delivery of them, I started off my project today with a simple interior detail. While it wasn't terribly dirty to begin with aside from the massive clutter that had built up in the car and sand and small rocks that had been tracked into the car over time as it had been a while since I'd vacuumed the car. I finally cleaned it all out and cleaned every surface from the bottom of the windows down (headliner wasn't dirty at all) and the carpets were mostly spared by my WeatherTech mats. The only products I used was Griot's Garage Interior cleaner and Invisible Glass glass cleaner. I also used compressed air and Meguire's Quick Detail for the door jams. Here are some before shots before I removed anything so my apologies if these are offensive lol:

And here are the after shots:

Only thing I didn't really pay attention to was the seats because I am waiting on my order of leather cleaner from the store to arrive. That will be tackled as soon as it arrives.

Thanks for stopping by, keep an eye out for my full paint correction that I will be adding to this log in the coming weeks.

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Subie Snax's Garage

Nice post.

This is what AGO is all about. Looking forward to your progress.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks Klasse Act, SubieSnax thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, SubieSnax, SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

10/13/2020 Called a few body shops and was able to source a free hood from a local body shop for practicing. This hood, from a 2005 Maxima, has it all, swirl marks galore, light and deep scratches as well as clear coat failure (which I know correction won't help) I also determined that the paint is not original as it is pretty fat (10 mil thick) for an import, not to mention all the other tell tale signs of aftermarket paint were present.

This hood was extremely dirty but the body shop was kind enough to give it a quick wash so it wouldn't dirty up my wife's car too much. After I got it home, I washed it again and clayed the entire hood. Here's how the paint looked at that point:

VIDEO:

At that point, all that was left to do was wait for the UPS truck to arrive.

Shortly after I was unboxing my first order:

And then it was time to use a DA polisher for the first time. First impressions, machine control looks easier when you watch experienced people do than it actually is but its not that hard either and I quickly got the hang of it. I do still feel a little clumsy when it comes to keeping the face of the pad flat and even but I'm sure that will come with practice. I only did a 2x2 square as I didn't have much time to work but I intend on doing the rest of the hood tomorrow just so I can get a feel for how the pads I have and products will work for me and what kind of correction I can expect. Here's an after video. I know I didn't get all of the swirls out but like I said, I was short on time. Also, I was a little lazy about dragging out my LED lighting rig for the after video so I just used an LED flashlight but it gives a good idea of the results for my purposes.

VIDEO:

Should be interesting to see how the whole hood comes out. I plan on taping off the failing clear coat section and a couple other spots were the paint is just way damaged just to avoid any kind of pad damage that I don't want to incur on a panel that I'm going to wind up scrapping anyway most likely. Stay tuned!

6. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Subie Snax's Garage

Score! Subie Snax's Garage Subie Snax's Garage

(I need panels for practice)

8. Thanks SubieSnax thanked for this post
    Likes SubieSnax liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    Score! Subie Snax's Garage Subie Snax's Garage

(I need panels for practice)
    Just call around to your local body shops. The one I got my panel from just let me go ahead and pick through their scrap bin and they didn't charge me a penny!

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll have at least triple the amount of products/pads this time next year.

Tell me I'm wrong on 10/14/21.................
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    You'll have at least triple the amount of products/pads this time next year.

Tell me I'm wrong on 10/14/21.................
    I don’t doubt it at all lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

10/14/2020 I finished compounding and polishing out my practice hood. A lot of the deeper scratches didn't come out but they were lightened significantly. Some of them probably would come out but that wasn't my goal with this panel. Just wanted to get my feet wet before I take on my first detail: a neglected 2008 Infinity G37S in the dreaded black color. I'll have plenty of pictures and videos to post when I get around to getting that done so for now here's a couple videos of the hood and some still shots.

After compound with Meg's Ultimate Compound and BAS Orange Pad:

After polish with Meg's Ultimate Polish and BAS White Pad:

Just a reminder of how bad this thing was:

After

I think I did a decent job. I tend to be a little more demanding of myself and I was hoping for a little better of an outcome but I just have to remember this was the first time I've ever polished anything with a machine and also using OTS products have their limitations I suppose. Also, after getting the majority of the defects out, it allowed me to see just how shitty the paint job was on this hood. Hopefully I will get better results on the car I will be working on possibly this weekend, if not next weekend.

16. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, SNP209, DFB, PaulMys, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Subie Snax's Garage

Top job on that test hood!

My first four detail jobs were:

Mercedes E350 -black
    Mini Cooper -black
    Toyota 4Runner -black
    Toyota Camry -black

It was like taking the final exam before the introductory course. But they all turned out acceptable (I could do better now).

Take your time and tread lightly.
    It’s a test of patience towards the end of polishing. Slow, methodical steps.

18. Thanks SubieSnax thanked for this post
    Likes SubieSnax liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    Top job on that test hood!

My first four detail jobs were:

Mercedes E350 -black
    Mini Cooper -black
    Toyota 4Runner -black
    Toyota Camry -black

It was like taking the final exam before the introductory course. But they all turned out acceptable (I could do better now).

Take your time and tread lightly.
    It’s a test of patience towards the end of polishing. Slow, methodical steps.
    Thank you for the compliment. I just went back and looked at my post and looked back and forth at the before and after pictures and I gotta stop being so hard on myself

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast