autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Subie Snax's Garage

Cool thread, great way to learn on that hood...it was hammered! NICE!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

2. Thanks SubieSnax thanked for this post
    Likes SubieSnax liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job. You can save money by buying products that serve several purposes as well. Like instead of buying clay lube, waterless wash, and a water softener for washing you can just get a gallon of optimum no rinse. Very very versatile product. Also Optimum Power Clean. That stuff will pull dye out of grocery bags at full strength....

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

4. Thanks SubieSnax thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job with the test hood and good idea. I wish I did that.
    I went head first into paint correction by tackling my 16 VW Golf R (bright red like your subie)
    First time I picked up a DA was to use on that car.
    HUGE risk, but I took my time and am thoroughly satisfied with the results.

I agree, patience is critical. I started rushing a few areas and could tell it wasn't being corrected like it should. Had to step back and reset myself.

I look forward to the progress. (Need some exterior shots )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SubieSnax View Post
    Hello all,

This thread is going to serve as my personal log where I am going to keep track of my own personal vehicles and any other jobs I find myself doing (detailing related only of course.)

Cars currently in Snax's garage:

2017 Subaru WRX Ltd (Pure Red)
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport (Bronzefire Metallic)

10/9/2020

As I literally just purchased my first two DAs and am still waiting on delivery of them, I started off my project today with a simple interior detail. While it wasn't terribly dirty to begin with aside from the massive clutter that had built up in the car and sand and small rocks that had been tracked into the car over time as it had been a while since I'd vacuumed the car. I finally cleaned it all out and cleaned every surface from the bottom of the windows down (headliner wasn't dirty at all) and the carpets were mostly spared by my WeatherTech mats. The only products I used was Griot's Garage Interior cleaner and Invisible Glass glass cleaner. I also used compressed air and Meguire's Quick Detail for the door jams. Here are some before shots before I removed anything so my apologies if these are offensive lol:

And here are the after shots:

Only thing I didn't really pay attention to was the seats because I am waiting on my order of leather cleaner from the store to arrive. That will be tackled as soon as it arrives.

Thanks for stopping by, keep an eye out for my full paint correction that I will be adding to this log in the coming weeks.
    Nice job, now keep it that way

7. Thanks SubieSnax thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

10/23/20 Progress Update. Due to logistics, the car I was going to work on first (My father's 08 G37) is getting pushed back so i decided to tackle my own car first as its a much bigger project (finishing up with ceramic as opposed to a wax or SiO2) Its taken me quite a bit of time to get through all of the steps to properly correct the paint as best I could and I am decently satisfied with my results. Some of the scratches just wouldn't come out but the paint is MUCH MUCH better now than it was before. Here are some before shots as well as some close ups of the paint chips on my hood that I fixed with Dr. Colorchip. A word to the wise when it comes to Dr. Colorchip, contrary to what I have read literally EVERYWHERE that you should do you paint correction before you do chip repair is terrible advice. The chip repair process swirled the bejesus out of my paint no matter how little of pressure I applied and I was pissed. After trying to hand polish the corrected areas the next day and being unsatisfied with those results, I rolled the dice and use the DA on them with no pressure and they came out beautifully with no ill effects to the repair. So fill your chips before you polish boys and girls and it will save you time especially if you have soft paint.

All taped off and ready to go.

And here are some shots after correction. Since I had used Dr. Paintchip I am waiting the 3 days for that to cure before I coat which will be tomorrow (Saturday) so I will have many many more after shots once that is complete (GTechniq CSL and EXO v4)

Bottom half of the bumper is super beat up but it looks a lot better than it did.

Pictures do it no justice...but I'm sure you already knew that. As always thanks for dropping by!

9. Likes Odrapnew, PaulMys, DFB, SWETM, Craig Encinitas and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good.
    My red R was very similar. Swirls, scratches galore.
    There were a few scratches I decided to not try to perfect for risk of burning through the clear.

Isn't it satisfying to see the difference after you wipe off the polish?

I also did the Gtechniq CSL and EXO V4. It really makes the red paint look like candy (that's a good thing).
    One thing I'm not convinced is the protection from bug guts. I have what appears to be bug guts etched into the top coat (EXO). Not sure if just plain CSL would be better, but I plan to re-polish the hood and just do a coat of CSL before winter hits. I have a wee bit left from the original application that needs to be used up in the next few months.

This is the first car I ever corrected paint and coated, but I don't have any bug gut etching issues on my '14 Explorer that only gets a wax 2x a year.

11. Thanks SubieSnax thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very satisfying indeed. I can’t wait to put the ceramic on tomorrow and finally be able to drive my car again. It hasn’t moved out of the garage since last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work!

Looking forward to see the aftershots of the CSL/EXO!

15. Thanks SubieSnax thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

10/25/2020 CSL + EXO v4 complete!!! I snuck her out to the street for a quick few night pictures before I tucked her back in for the next 24 to let the coating cure. I'll do a proper photoshoot on Monday during the day....and maybe at night too.

Now I need a beer and bengay for my back

Stay tuned in the next few days for daytime shots and thanks for stopping by!

17. Likes SNP209, DFB, SWETM, Mike Hoekstra, PaulMys and 2 others liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

10/26/2020 I am adding some daytime photos I just shot a bit ago. The sun is not coming out today and the roads are wet so she didn't make it past the end of the driveway. Maybe tomorrow will be more favorable. Enjoy!

Yes, I even put coating on the license plate

Not too shabby for a car with 75k miles.
    Hopefully I'll have some sun to take pictures in tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by!

19. Likes Odrapnew, PaulMys, DFB liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast