autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My First Detail Job Other than my own cars! ( Long Post)

My First Detail Job Other than my own cars! ( Long Post)

So... short story.

I was attending a local monthly Show and Shine event and saw a really pretty 1967 Vette. As I got closer (nice sunny day BTW) I was stunned by the MAJOR holograms. As I walked around the Vette and looked at the hood... WOW Serious wool swirls! The swirls we so bad they actually obscured the paint.

I asked the owner to stand by me so he could see the swirls. He was amazed and had not see the car like that in the sun. I told him that was what you get from a typical paint shop. The owner said the car was painted a month ago.

It could be such a beautiful car... I told him I could buff all that away if he was interested. After some discussion, we agreed on a price.

So he brought to Vette over this morning and using the techniques I learned in Mike's 2 day detailing class,

I decontaminated, foam washed, compounded and polished the Vette. The entire process took about 8 hours.

The result was stunning... it was like a different car.

The owner was beyond pleased with the result. I do this as a hobby, but I couldn't stand to see that Vette left in this condition. I was so very proud of the result, the "Reveal in the Sunshine" made all the work worthwhile. You can actually see the clouds perfectly in the hood.

The Vette is getting paint protection film next week and will be back for ceramic coating to complete the job.

1. Sonax compound and polish
    2. Flex Finisher (Battery Powered)
    3. Combination of Maroon Uro-Tech (Compound) and
    4. White Lake Country pads (Polish)

This was really fun
    Rick
    Austin, TX

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Detail Job Other than my own cars!  ( Long Post)-1967-corvette-jpg   My First Detail Job Other than my own cars!  ( Long Post)-1967-corvette-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My FIrst Detail Job Other than my own cars! ( Long Post)

Nice work on a beautiful Vette! Any before pictures?
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

WOW it looks amazing and I like the dark green color!

I had a Volvo Amazon 121 that the previous owner had painted a bad blue SS paint on it that was not nice. The original paint was like the paint on that Vette with the beutieful dark green color. So repainted it to it's original paint color code. And it had a very uncommon combo with that paint and a white color on the interior vinyl.

It's awesome to see the customers looks when they sees their vehicals newly corrected. And in your case when the customer has got it repainted and at the same time hologram finish. It looks as it should now. Awesome work!

/ Tony

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 69385vette View Post

So... short story.

I was attending a local monthly Show and Shine event and saw a really pretty 1967 Vette. As I got closer (nice sunny day BTW) I was stunned by the MAJOR holograms. As I walked around the Vette and looked at the hood... WOW Serious wool swirls! The swirls we so bad they actually obscured the paint.

I asked the owner to stand by me so he could see the swirls. He was amazed and had not see the car like that in the sun. I told him that was what you get from a typical paint shop. The owner said the car was painted a month ago.
    AND - always so sad to say, this is the NORMAL type of work that is done on all cars. In this example the car is a cool car, i.e. a 1967 Corvette. But the same holograms and leftover sanding scratches are left on all cars that go to body shops. This is how the industry works.

And what's so sad, is body shops could turn out show car work. All they have to do is "care". Or the owner should come to one of my classes like you did Rick.

It could be such a beautiful car... I told him I could buff all that away if he was interested.

After some discussion, we agreed on a price.
    And while you took my class to learn how to polish the paint on your way-cool 1965 GTO, without even trying you have started a part-time detailing business and following in my footsteps, you're not working on daily drivers.... you're working on COOL CARS!

Way to go buddy!

So he brought to Vette over this morning and using the techniques I learned in Mike's 2 day detailing class,

The result was stunning... it was like a different car.

Nice.

And you, like me and probably everyone reading your thread here on the AGO forum feels the same way when they see a cool car that's all swirled out and filled with rotary buffer holograms. You KNOW how good it COULD look. It just needs the right products, pads and tools and a person that knows what they heck they are doing and in this example that person is YOU.

I am so impressed.

This was really fun
    Rick
    Austin, TX

I hope you continue to share your future work with us Rick. It's a genuine pleasure to read.

5. Likes SWETM, PM5C liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And for the record, here's the class Rick took,

10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

And here's Rick,

And this is Rick's 1967 GTO after he polished it using what he learned at the 2-Day Roadshow Class in Austin, Texas, June of 2019

You da man!

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My First Detail Job Other than my own cars! ( Long Post)

Great turn around. And great story.

I loved the 2 day class i took with Mike in Denver a few weeks ago. But you point out what is very typical in the car show/cruise night/cars and coffee scene. Great cars that frankly, look like crap.

Sometimes it is very hard to approach an owner pretty much telling them that their pride and joy, ummm....... Could look a whole lot better.

Kudos to you for making this happen. i like it .

This thread is 100% Billy Approved!!!

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the kind words Mike
    Year earned them!

In my opinion, ANYONE that gets a car detailed by you is LUCKY.

You've seen what others do....

11. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread.

This is what AGO is all about.

Awesome work, Rick!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really cool story and great work. The car looks awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast