autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQuartz UK and a Jaguar F-Pace S

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Well, this is a little embarrassing....

I brought out the bottle of product to coat another vehicle for this family and I realized I didn't use CQuartz UK. It was the CQuartz "classic" coating. The owner provided the coating and I originally gave them the information for UK, but that isn't what they bought/provided. I didn't even notice it until this weekend when I put the bottle next to one I own and saw the difference in the label and immediately realized what happened.
    Honest mistake, and very cool of you to post that Nate.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, Nate!

I took advantage of the nice weather this weekend to get some sealant on my car and truck and the whole time I was telling myself "I should just take the time next spring to coat them so I only have to cry once".

We've discussed the coating thing before, as we live in the same area and I feel that our backgrounds are somewhat similar, but I'd love to see an opinion between "classic" and UK. What do you think would be best for the STL area, which gives the most longevity, and which is easiest for a first timer like myself to use?

Post Thanks / Like

It is going to be difficult to compare the two coatings from an everyday performance and durability standpoint since I won't have much access to the two vehicles I've applied the CQuartz TiO2. The neighbors who own both vehicles I've worked on recently sold their house and moved across town. I'm a little bummed about that on several fronts, the least of which was being able to see how the coating held up.

I can speak directly about the ease of application and initial appearance. From MY experience both are a win. It's like when you have two kids. You love them both, both are similar in many ways, but each has their own personality too. I'll speak to the differences below.

Application:

CQuartz TiO2 - Shorter flash time. I'm not a huge fan of really long flash times and this coating hits the sweet spot. Application and removal is a touch draggy at times, but barely noticeable. I also found removal to be easier with less potential for high spots. The coating also seems a bit thicker, but only slightly...I may have just applied it heavier and not realized it.

CQuartz UK 3.0 - Very smooth with a flash time that seems like forever in some weather conditions. I really liked v2.0, but in my opinion they made v3.0 flash too slowly and it slows down my work, even when applying to larger areas. It seems like a thinner product and it spreads easier with no drag at all, but it also seems to be a little more sensitive to catching it at EXACTLY the right time in order to remove without any smearing. If you catch the timing just right removal is sealant-like. The flashing on UK might be more visibly obvious than TiO2.

Appearance after initial application:

CQuartz TiO2 - Seems to be a "clearer" more glassy appearance and has a great reflective shine. If we're having a beauty contest between the two, I'd say TiO2 is better suited for lighter colors or dark metallic paint.

CQuartz UK - Creates a deep wet looking glossy shine. More reflective and glass-like than most sealants, but not quite TiO2 levels. It also noticeably darkens paint. When applying to a black vehicle there is no doubt what parts are coated and which aren't. Because of this I think it mutes metallic flake a touch. It still looks amazing on black regardless.

While I can't compare the durability of the two, here is what I've found from CQuartz v2.0 and v3.0. My daughter's car is now on it's third year of v2.0. It looks amazing and the coating doesn't seem to be letting up at all. The car has a pretty easy life, but is not washed very often, so it isn't completely pampered. My wife's car and other daughter's car have been wearing v3.0 for 18 months. I washed them yesterday and both still look great and water behavior hasn't changed a bit.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes pilotpip, noorth, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

It is going to be difficult to compare the two coatings from an everyday performance and durability standpoint since I won't have much access to the two vehicles I've applied the CQuartz TiO2. The neighbors who own both vehicles I've worked on recently sold their house and moved across town. I'm a little bummed about that on several fronts, the least of which was being able to see how the coating held up.

I can speak directly about the ease of application and initial appearance. From MY experience both are a win. It's like when you have two kids. You love them both, both are similar in many ways, but each has their own personality too. I'll speak to the differences below.

Application:

CQuartz TiO2 - Shorter flash time. I'm not a huge fan of really long flash times and this coating hits the sweet spot. Application and removal is a touch draggy at times, but barely noticeable. I also found removal to be easier with less potential for high spots. The coating also seems a bit thicker, but only slightly...I may have just applied it heavier and not realized it.

CQuartz UK 3.0 - Very smooth with a flash time that seems like forever in some weather conditions. I really liked v2.0, but in my opinion they made v3.0 flash too slowly and it slows down my work, even when applying to larger areas. It seems like a thinner product and it spreads easier with no drag at all, but it also seems to be a little more sensitive to catching it at EXACTLY the right time in order to remove without any smearing. If you catch the timing just right removal is sealant-like. The flashing on UK might be more visibly obvious than TiO2.

Appearance after initial application:

CQuartz TiO2 - Seems to be a "clearer" more glassy appearance and has a great reflective shine. If we're having a beauty contest between the two, I'd say TiO2 is better suited for lighter colors or dark metallic paint.

CQuartz UK - Creates a deep wet looking glossy shine. More reflective and glass-like than most sealants, but not quite TiO2 levels. It also noticeably darkens paint. When applying to a black vehicle there is no doubt what parts are coated and which aren't. Because of this I think it mutes metallic flake a touch. It still looks amazing on black regardless.

While I can't compare the durability of the two, here is what I've found from CQuartz v2.0 and v3.0. My daughter's car is now on it's third year of v2.0. It looks amazing and the coating doesn't seem to be letting up at all. The car has a pretty easy life, but is not washed very often, so it isn't completely pampered. My wife's car and other daughter's car have been wearing v3.0 for 18 months. I washed them yesterday and both still look great and water behavior hasn't changed a bit.
    Roughly how long did the v3.0 take to flash? I have a full bottle. I read a few people claim it can be used has a wipe on wipe off product. Very little dwell time.

Post Thanks / Like

The flash time for CQuartz 3.0 varies based on environmental conditions. At no point would I consider it wipe on/wipe off.

In 70F weather with moderate humidity I'd say flash time is around 2~3 minutes maybe a bit longer. At 80F it becomes a real bear to apply and flashes quicker, maybe around 1 min or a little less. When temps drop to the upper 50's, flash time can be a long as 15 minutes or longer. I helped a friend coat his car last November and it took forever because we were waiting for the coating to flash.

To be honest, I preferred the slightly shorter flash times of CQuartz UK 2.0. I found them to be the sweet spot for how I work whereas 3.0 is a little too long for me. I think one additional reason I like TiO2 better than UK 3.0 is the flash time is very close to what I remember of UK 2.0.

7. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

The flash time for CQuartz 3.0 varies based on environmental conditions. At no point would I consider it wipe on/wipe off.

In 70F weather with moderate humidity I'd say flash time is around 2~3 minutes maybe a bit longer. At 80F it becomes a real bear to apply and flashes quicker, maybe around 1 min or a little less. When temps drop to the upper 50's, flash time can be a long as 15 minutes or longer. I helped a friend coat his car last November and it took forever because we were waiting always waiting for the coating to flash.

To be honest, I preferred the slightly shorter flash times of CQuartz UK 2.0. I found them to be the sweet spot for how I work whereas 3.0 is a little too long for me. I think one additional reason I like TiO2 better than UK 3.0 is the flash time is very close to what I remember of UK 2.0.
    Wow, 15minutes! I will be applying it in the 50s-60s but the humidity might be high. I live near the coast. Thanks, thats a good thing to watch out for!

Post Thanks / Like

And I think they are DC’ing TiO2 in the near future...?
    I’d like to get some before that happens.
    If it’s true.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    If it’s true.
    Just a friendly FYI, they do have a new coating which is supposed to be more user friendly then UK 3.0. Your probably already aware of it. I bought Uk 3.0 last spring, still really popular but doesn't seem to be one of the easier coating, will definitely be trying it on one panel at least. I'm a driveway enthusiast. I read some good things about feynlab ceramic light and IGL poly for ease of use - there 1 year coatings however. Of course uber expensive Kamikaze coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    If it’s true.
    The TiO2 is being replaced, but I don't see it as a bad thing. CarPro's CQuartz coatings are always solid players in the market and I don't see why a new product wouldn't uphold their reputation for quality.

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Just a friendly FYI, they do have a new coating which is supposed to be more user friendly then UK 3.0. Your probably already aware of it. I bought Uk 3.0 last spring, still really popular but doesn't seem to be one of the easier coating, will definitely be trying it on one panel at least. I'm a driveway enthusiast. I read some good things about feynlab ceramic light and IGL poly for ease of use. Of course uber expensive Kamikaze coatings.
    I wouldn't say UK 3.0 isn't unfriendly, it just has a long-ish flash time and you have to adjust your technique accordingly. It looks great when the job is done and is really durable. Another bonus with either CarPro coating is the fact they are still offered in a 30mL bottle for a decent price. If companies keep the trend of only offering their coatings only in 50mL bottles for $100, it could drive me out of the market.

12. Thanks noorth, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

The TiO2 is being replaced, but I don't see it as a bad thing. CarPro's CQuartz coatings are always solid players in the market and I don't see why a new product wouldn't uphold their reputation for quality.

I wouldn't say UK 3.0 isn't unfriendly, it just has a long-ish flash time and you have to adjust your technique accordingly. It looks great when the job is done and is really durable. Another bonus with either CarPro coating is the fact they are still offered in a 30mL bottle for a decent price. If companies keep the trend of only offering their coatings only in 50mL bottles for $100, it could drive me out of the market.
    Yeah even if i don't make out well using carpro uk outside it won't break the bank. I spent way more on polish angel stuff. But thats almost foolproof.

14. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast