autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2005 Acura TSX Carbon Gray Pearl

My daily driver is an '05 TSX. 170,000 miles. Never garaged. I've had it since February 2017. The car was LOADED with swirls and scratches when I first got it. I saw it under sodium lights and told My GF at the time(This thing is going to gleam when I get done with it....see those ugly scratches? they're ALL coming out!). I've hit it a few times with the beast and some TSR/Menzerna. It was coated with EXOV4 last year. It sat all summer in the garage....I used My Vette and started driving The TSX when the weather turned back in November. I purposely wanted to see how the paint coating would hold with no washings throughout the winter. Not half bad is how I'd rate it! I gave it a bath in April...the drivers side near the back of the front tire, all the way down the side of the car was a bit beat up.Once it was washed,it was better...not great. That's the area that took the biggest pounding from sand/salt, etc.

Fast forward to this past weekend.

The car was:

Iron X'd(I Swear, that stuff smells like the town dump in a bottle, NEVER buying it again....I've already got Gtechniq's version coming)
    Washed
    Clayed
    Highway dried(Never fails to get every ounce of water OUT of the jambs/trim molding, etc)

Upon looking at the paint under the brand new LED garage lights.....the sides didn't fair too badly. There was some spotting on the hood, the roof and a little on the trunk.
    I took some Total Swirl Remover(THE BEAST) and used a CCS White pad.....did a test spot, and grinned! Flawless. I tried a little Meg's 205 on the sides, and it worked fine using The Cyclo/green pads. I've been in talk with Mike "The Magician" Phillips of late...He can't stress enough to A. watch the clear.... B. Don't be OCD neurotic about getting every scratch/swirl/defect out of a daily driver. SO: I chose to take it easy on the sides and the bumpers on the car. 205 gave a light "cut" just enough to remove light defects.

I used Panel wipe once everything was completed. Took out a brand new bottle of Crystal Serum Light(Never used it before). I'd heard horror stories about people using this, it needing to be wet sanded off as it dried too quickly, etc. Meh....I went for it. It was effortless. I wasn't afraid and did entire panels....Front door, wowo, back door, wowo. The hood I did in sections....probably didn't leave it on long enough, but, oh well. It makes me nervous to let it sit for two minutes. I don't feel like wet sanding My car...no thanks!

EXOV4 followed CSL. Two coats. Strangely enough, the second coat, once wiped off...didn't feel as slick. Again, wowo. It looks incredible! Are there a few flaws here and there? Yes! Is this a daily driver that's going to get scratched/swirled(beyond My control)? yes! it's good enough for what it is. I think You'll agree in the photos. I am 99% positive this is a re-spray. There are some weird lines, fish eyes and a few tape lines in the jambs that paint that picture. Fine by Me! It looks great!!! See for Yourselves.

Enjoy!!!

IMG_2867 by Jay Dobbins, on Flickr

Big Old Grin!!!!!!

IMG_2868 by Jay Dobbins, on Flickr

IMG_2866 by Jay Dobbins, on Flickr

Put on Your sunglasses!

IMG_2864 by Jay Dobbins, on Flickr

IMG_2861 by Jay Dobbins, on Flickr

IMG_2860 by Jay Dobbins, on Flickr

IMG_2863 by Jay Dobbins, on Flickr

I love this car....I love getting ANY and EVERY car as good as it can be! With luck, I'll be doing this until My last breath!! Hope You've enjoyed My photos. Be well, stay safe. Take care.

2. Likes Bruno Soares, SNP209, acuRAS82, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2005 Acura TSX Carbon Gray Pearl

Looks great. Definitely doesn't look like a 15 year old car.

I had a 2008 TSX that was great, I had it for a little over 5 years and only replaced it because at the time we wanted more space. Mine is a Glacier Blue Metallic.

I have some bad news for you though. All of the iron removers stink terribly so don't expect much improvement on the scent compared to Iron-X.
    Bruno Soares

4. Thanks J Z06 thanked for this post
    Likes J Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! It's cool that You had one also. It's a little tight with four people. I don't have that many people in it that often.

I was nauseous the first time I used Iron-X. Gross. My Dad was like "WTH is that stuff? You should wear a mask, God only knows what they're putting in there". Anything must smell better than CarPro's version of Iron-X. it does not last long either. I did My Mom's 2014 Subaru Forester with it, and, My TSX...it's almost empty. Very neat stuff. I can't wait to see it work on a white/silver car. It's not easy to see it work on a dark finish. Thanks for the kind words. It's still sitting in the garage. I am debating about pulling it out and coating the jambs.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks great in direct sunlight as well! That is as honest as it gets!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Jz06... Nice job in protecting your daily driver. I am in a similar scenario. A fun car in the garage and a daily driver parked outdoor. fortunately, my daily driver is white and while ...I do love black cars. I tried the older version of C1 crystal lacquer and EXO on my 3 series many years ago. C1 as base with EXO on top. I found both to be very grappy to apply and just not as slick at the time .... Has that change in your opinion?

BTW... C1 was rock hard....it reminded me of the old Opti-coat. It took really took some doing to remove it a few years later.

8. Thanks J Z06 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could keep both cars in the garage! not to be though. Both cars are fun! the vette has a ton more power(paxton supercharger) so of course, it's way more fun! I've never tried anything but EXOV3/EXOV4 and the last version of CSL. When My friend told Me about wet sanding if it stays on too long, I was like "uh, no, I'll get EXOV3, wipe it on, wipe it off" . Yeah, the second coat wasn't as slick. The first coat of EXO was unreal. Not sure why that is. I'll bet it'll repel water like mad! That's what it's known for. Fluffier towels seemed to smear a lot more. I like the less fluffy towls(nap, ?) it makes short work of removing the residue(leveling). I've never gotten high spots or smudges/etc. Some of these guys wipe and wipe and wipe! I guess You can't be too careful. I've seen mine out in the sun, all good!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Z06 View Post
    Thanks so much! It's cool that You had one also. It's a little tight with four people. I don't have that many people in it that often.

I was nauseous the first time I used Iron-X. Gross. My Dad was like "WTH is that stuff? You should wear a mask, God only knows what they're putting in there". Anything must smell better than CarPro's version of Iron-X. it does not last long either. I did My Mom's 2014 Subaru Forester with it, and, My TSX...it's almost empty. Very neat stuff. I can't wait to see it work on a white/silver car. It's not easy to see it work on a dark finish. Thanks for the kind words. It's still sitting in the garage. I am debating about pulling it out and coating the jambs.
    I usually buy the 16 fl oz bottle of Iron-X so I can use the whole bottle in one car and not have to save it, don't want to risk that smell getting to anything else inside the house. I've tried a couple of different brands and they all stank about the same as Iron-X. Whatever chemical they use to make those products work is what causes that smell.
    Bruno Soares

11. Thanks J Z06 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess that is a good option. Argh! I am hooked on the iron removal process. If it helps the coating/wax/sealant bond(in addition to claying), it's a must! Thanks for Your reply. I am spending a fortune on detail supplies! LOL!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work!! Definitely does NOT look like it's that old or has than many miles on it. Well done!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

14. Thanks J Z06 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You! it could have had a bit more gloss and clarity.....that's ok! good enough!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast