autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Hammered Tesla Model 3 Get's Perfected

First, many special thanks to a previous customer of mine from a racing forum I'm a part of who I had the opportunity to help with his beautiful red Firehawk nearly 2 years ago. David provided me this referral to help restore a very cool car to what it really should have been from the get-go.

As you can see, it was hammered. Car washes and normal everyday driver care at large, took it's tole and left it very Meh....in terms of what a pure black car should look like. One of the reasons I like pure black so much is the transformation is often very dramatic and it is a WOW! factor that everyone can see and appreciate. This vehicle was no exception.

The challenge with Tesla is the paint quality for the cost is really not up to what the pricing the cars demand. It's very erratic in thickness and the rear deck lid by the license plate is dangerously thin and as here on this sample, even lacks paint towards the top of the license plate. It's almost as if the machines painting it are dead on perpendicular to the panel but never get enough color coat up to the top.

Anyway, for this correction the number one concern were swirls thus the customer was looking for a strong correction. Budgets always come into play but since the customer was willing and appreciate coatings over not just the paint and wheels but all the glass work (a lot of it on Tesla) I would add in the extra couple hours to achieve the full correction. In summary the services here were Premium Enhancement Polish (plus some extra to achieve a higher correction), Dual Layer Ceramic on the Paint and Wheels, Glass Coating, and the rear valance trim, I coated with it's specific coating at no-charge.

We got to about 95%+ nearly 100% outside some areas on the rear deck lid and bumper which weren't worth compromising the clear coat to remove. Again, there's no such thing as "removing" scratches, only leveling them out which removes precious clear coat so it is important to measure the paint and know when to say stop as to ensure the existing clear can protect for years and years to come. Mission accomplished.

Thank you again to David for his trust in my work and the referral and to the owner for his as well. Here's his lining up next to an identical car at the office come Monday. The difference will be interesting to see

For the Detailers here interested, the Vehicle was polished out using both a Flex 3401 THE BEAST and the newer XCE Supa Beast. Pad wise both the Orange Hybrid Force and Orange Flat Pads. Where needed, I did cut through some of the tough stuff with Purple and Blue Wool pads from Lake country. Product Wise, CarPro ClearCut for compounding in spots, both mostly with CarPro Essence. Coating wise, CarPro UK 3.0, GYEON Q2 TRIM and RIM and for the glass a product I don't source here but like.

Now onto the pics! 2018 Tesla Model 3, Dual Motor with advanced auto pilot

BEFORE: As you can see, Automatic Car Washes are not kind to painted surfaces

AFTER: While not Killer in style it is amazing that this sedate little sedan can run low to mid 12's and move-out like the beast she is.

Yeah, I know....some curb damage but hey, that's life with a daily right?

Full sun shots of black are a true test of how the work put in turned out. There's no hiding much on pure black. I'm proud to say this beauty shines even in pure sun with little to no imperfections showing.

Ah....shade. I love the candy glow that a nice polish and ceramic provides. DEEP Black and SUPER high GLOSS.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, cullen2505, PaulMys, VISITOR, Rmd and 6 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hammered Tesla Model 3 Get's Perfected

I N C R E D I B L E Hammered Tesla Model 3 Get's PerfectedHammered Tesla Model 3 Get's Perfected

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OH my....!

I don't think I could get a car to look that good! Wow....!

Learned something re your work and issues re Teslas in general. Thanks for that information!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

6. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazy. Awesome Job! Can't wait to start machine polishing later this week!

8. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice turn around.

10. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work and save on that finicky Tesla paint! Looks great now!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

12. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always like reading Tim’s threads, you just know it’s going be awesome work. One day Tim, I hope to get close to your quality, of course not competing wise. More like I want to get to that level someday.

Anyways, awesome work.

Did you use a really abrasive compound?
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    I always like reading Tim’s threads, you just know it’s going be awesome work. One day Tim, I hope to get close to your quality, of course not competing wise. More like I want to get to that level someday. Anyways, awesome work.

Did you use a really abrasive compound?
    Thank you sir. Humbled here for sure. The products used and noted were CarPro Brand. Clear cut is abrasive but it finishes out nearly perfect. Slight haze and miro-marring of course when used with Wool Pads (my go-to pads for compounding) but so so easy to finish out with Essence. ClearCut finishes out better than most any product I've used. Once done, 3 passes with a polishing pad and CarPro Essence is all that's needed.

On this car I only needed compounds for a few spots. Otherwise it's a one-step job.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!Solid work. Very motivating!!!
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

16. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post