autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

This story started on Saturday April 24th, 2010 at our Saturday Detailing Class here at our new Studio in Stuart, Florida. Two of our students couldn't stay for the entire class so we invited them back the following Monday for a little one-on-one training. Here's an excerpt from page 2 of the Pictures and Comments thread for that class.

Pictures and Comments from April 24th Damp Sanding and Machine Polishing Class

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    A couple guys had to leave early and so we had them back for a little one-on-one training on how to remove swirls out of a black Porsche and a red metallic Toyota, both with water spots and swirls.

We used the Wolfgang Twins and Füzion on the black Porsche and we used the Pinnacle Twins and Souveran Liquid on the Toyota and used the techniques shown in this DVD

Mike Phillips' Principles of Machine Polishing

Here's a few pictures from last night...

The above was all take on Monday night.

Then on Tuesday, when we opened for business, Steve the owner of the Porsche, stopped by and picked up all the tools, pads and products he needed to finish the car.

While he was here I took these pictures, you can see that only the small section we used to show Steve and Joe how to machine polish had been worked on at this point in time.

Now fast forward to Thursday, it's been only 3 days since Joe learned how to use a DA Polisher and he shows up at Autogeek in the afternoon to show us his results....

We moved the Porsche into our Studio for some beauty shots to showcase his new found talent!

On Monday night during the one-on-one training session, we stuck to a "System Approach" and kept it simple. We demonstrated the Wolfgang System on Steve's Porsche and then Joe dove in head first and removed all the swirls and polished the black paint till it looks like a Black Pearl.

Wolfgang System with a Porter Cable 7424XP and Lake Country 5.5" Flat Pads

I proud to introduce "Joe the Detailer" as a new friend of Autogeek's Show Car Garage and Online Discussion Forum!

Nice work Joe. When I heard you were in the lobby here at Autogeek to show us your results, I thought you were here to show us your Toyota?

I assumed, (that's never a good idea), that you would tackle your Toyota first and cut your teeth on it before diving in head first and tackling a black car let alone a black Porsche Boxster S!!!!!!

Joe you did an absolutely phenomenal job especially considering this is the FIRST time you've ever used an electric polisher to remove swirls out of a clear coat finish. I don't give the Bow Emoticon out very often on any forum but you've earned it.

Next up... Joe will be tackling his own car and finishing the job we started in this thread...

Proof the Average Guy can get Professional Results their first time Machine Polishing

Just to note everything we taught Joe and Steve is also everything we teach in this DVD,

Mike Phillips' Principles of Machine Polishing

So stay tuned for Joe's first write-up!

Welcome to Autogeek's Online Discussion Forum Joe! You're in good company!

Products Used
    Pinnacle Clay Lubricant
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    Cobra Indigo Microfiber Towels
    Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
    Wolfgang Füzion
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    Lake Country 5.5" Orange Cutting Flat Pads
    Lake Country 5.5" White Polishing Flat Pads
    Lake Country 5.5" Blue Finessing Flat Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

that's awesome! I wish I were close enough to drop in for some garage sessions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

Wow that puppy turned out sweet!!! Great job Joe!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

Well done. That's how black should look.

On a side note, I need that cart, just with a bigger shelf on top.

Mike Phillips

The owner Steve came by this morning and one of the comments he made about the results is something we hear all the time,

"It looks better then when I bought it"

I explained to both him and Joe that dealerships, even Porsche dealerships don't have the best reputations for selling cars with swirl-free finishes, the reason for this is they don't see the paint like a true car enthusiast sees the paint, a true car enthusiast want a clear, glossy swirl-free finish. Most dealerships figure if it's shiny it's good enough.

If they have an in-house detailer then often times they have little or no training, they are provided with caveman products and tools and the results are the cars at dealerships are often times filled with unsightly swirls.

I told Steve that whenever he's out at car events with his Porsche to inspect his car buddies paint with the sun shining down and chances are no matter how cool the car, the paint is going to be filled with swirls, that's okay because a lot of owners don't know the difference between a swirl and squirrel.

Then take and show them the finish on your Porsche and if they ask what wax you're using, take a moment to educate them that using a good wax is only part of the equation, preparing the paint for the application of a quality wax or paint sealant is really the secret to show car finish.

Each one teach one...

Help bring your car buddies a little further up the road...

If you're reading this and you've found the information on this forum has helped you to improve how you work on your car, then share this forum with a friend... always the practice win/win philosphy... if we're helping you to win... help us to win too... that's win/win...

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I hope to make it to one of your tech sessions sometime. Maybe I will make a point of it when I am ready to step up to rotary and/or wetsanding.

Kevin.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

10. Thanks yello430 thanked for this post
    Likes yello430 liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I'm totally blown away!!! Nice job brother!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast