autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Now for something different (Travel Trailer Detail)

Thankfully I have a job still, and lots of downtime because not many people are flying. With that time, and the weather improving I'm starting to get the detail itch. Pollen's getting nasty so I don't want to do the truck and car yet, but the temperatures were right to bring my travel trailer home for a few days and give it a good cleaning. I last used it in November for deer season where it saw several wet gravel roads. To say the least it was filthy. Wash was done with a long brush and meg's gold class. In a couple spots I had to scrub a little more. Then I used McKee's RV one step polish and seal on it. I bought it last year when AG was still carrying the line. It was easy to work with and it can be used in direct sunlight, which is good because it's 25'+ feet long and a ton of surface area. It took 2 days with my PC and using some old CCS white pads. There was a lot of dirt and black streaks I just couldn't get with scrubbing, "black streak removal" products (heh) or APC. The one step did a nice job getting rid of the last of them. Really happy with the results.

After washing:

In progress: I climbed on the roof to wipe off the product above the decal

Reflection shot off the wall when I was finished:

The black plastic had quite a bit of fade for only being a year old. I have some Meguiars Ultimate Black plastic restorer that doesn't work well on my fords but seems to do really good here. It soaked in and did a nice job with an even finish. We'll see how long it lasts. Washes should be a lot easier this summer.

2. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Now for something different (Travel Trailer Detail)

Wow, that was a lot of flat panel polishing! A lot of good work being put in on that!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Mike Phillips

You sir - are a better man than me....

I hate polishing "big stuff".

Much prefer cars that came from Detroit without exterior plastic trim.

Also you picture just goes to show, even though there are dozens of tools on the market now days, the Porter Cable is still a tried and true capable tool.

Thank you for sharing....

Mike Phillips

Here's just one example of not having fun doing big stuff....

Don't use a rotary buffer to buff out a Motorhome or RV - HOLOGRAM CITY

You're on the right track using a free spinning random orbital polisher with my guess is a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO.

I could make a list of all the big stuff I've been volunteered to buff out since coming to AG in 2009. A few projects were my idea, but not all of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You sir - are a better man than me....

I hate polishing "big stuff".

Much prefer cars that came from Detroit without exterior plastic trim.

Also you picture just goes to show, even though there are dozens of tools on the market now days, the Porter Cable is still a tried and true capable tool.

Thank you for sharing....

I agree. My uncle has a beautiful 72 Monte Carlo I've been trying to talk him into doing.

As for the PC, it does what I need it to do and I'm happy with it. I'd love an upgrade, and to switch the PC to smaller pads, but I only do 4-5 cars a year. I guess I'll add a travel trailer to the mix. I only did it because I was quite shocked by how much of a toll the sun took on the plastic trim in one year. Even though it's a smaller camper I see it like any of my vehicles and want to keep them it in tip-top shape.

To be honest, the flat panels were pretty easy and a nice departure from the cars and trucks I usually do.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I appreciate the kind words from the guy running the show, and the guy that makes me jealous of his work on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that came out looking really nice. Great job. I'm about to start on my new motorhome. I'm thankful I have a garage to do it in.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I've done a few cars, but never an RV before.

9. Thanks pilotpip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fly5465 View Post
    Wow, that came out looking really nice. Great job. I'm about to start on my new motorhome. I'm thankful I have a garage to do it in.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I've done a few cars, but never an RV before.
    In many ways, I found it easier than cars. Yeah, it's a lot of square footage but it's flat and you can work pretty big sections so it went quick. I broke it into two days because it gave me something to do while watching the kids rode their bikes and got some fresh air. It could have easily been done in a day.