autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Got me a new car and coated it and.....

So I got rid of my beloved 2014 CLS550. I had the car for 3 years and I loved it. I recently tuned it and it was a beast but I had an incident w it where it lost power on me during a high speed acceleration and I lost confidence in it. I took the tune off and all was back to normal but I decided maybe I would try something new. The tuning company was useless w support and I would never recommend them. The car still ran great w over 400 hp from factory. In terms of tech it was missing a few things I wanted so figured now was a good time to try something else.

I picked up a 2020 AMG C43. It’s a smaller car, less luxury, and less power but it has newer tech and is actually faster. Going from a twin turbo v8 to a twin turbo v6 is quite noticeable to me. But this car is supposed to be quicker so once my break in period is over I will push it a little and see. I didn’t load this car up. It’s pretty standard w mb-Tex leather which I like a lot. It’s black w red stitching. The exterior is Polar white which I also like. I also got the AMG black package, pano roof, digital cluster, AMG dynamica steering wheel, and the sports exhaust. The exhaust is glorious. The cockpit is really nice too, especially at night w the ambient color options. It has a lot of standard features that are considered upgrades in a non AMG model. I considered the c63 but w only rear wheel drive this made more sense.

Anyway, I detailed the car a few days after I got it. The usual stuff including foam wash, 2 bucket wash, iron x, clay, and then wash again. Next I went w Boss correcting cream followed by Boss perfecting cream. It managed to get most of the dealer installed swirls out and being a white car you really have to hunt for them. I used my rupes big foot 21 and mf and foam pads. Also used the GG 3” random orbital polisher. Followed that up w eraser x 2.

Next, 2 coats of CQuartz UK 3.0 and 1 coat of Gliss 2.0. All good in terms of looks but.....

I’ve noticed it attracts a lot of lint and dust. The car lives in my garage. Garage is fairly clean and my other car coated in
    Polish Angel and unwashed for months now is not having that same problem. Anyone else experience this?

I have my wife’s car on order and I was going to follow the same process but if UK/gliss proves to be finicky maybe I’ll try something else. I don’t recall having this issue on the 550 so not sure why this time. I used good MF towels (cobra). Anyway, any ideas are appreciated.

I’ll post pics of car soon. Camera is somewhere in garage.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got me a new car and coated it and.....

You know i thought it was just me but i coated in cquk3 and topped with Cancoat and i didnt have a problem with dust but it became a pollen magnet. Went a year with no protection and didnt have that pollen problem before. Maybe im not noticing the dust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Was the coating done very recently? Have you washed it yet? I ask because I noticed Gliss making the paint very static during application which makes it attract dust but that issue was gone a few days later and especially after washing, no more problem with dust being attracted. Just make sure you’re not topping the car with Bead Maker after each wash, that product will make the car a dust/pollen magnet.
    Bruno Soares

4. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the car. I had a 2019 C63, brand new no mods and at about 2000 miles, it lost power once and before I could get it to the dealer, it shut off (auto stop-start) and wouldn't restart. Dumped the car and haven't looked back.

Post some pics of the detail when you get a chance, they are good looking cars

Post Thanks / Like

The new car sounds great! Probably a lot better mpg if that even matters when dealing with German luxury. Sorry to hear about the power loss during acceleration on the last car... sounds like a scary situation, potentially.

I second the idea that the idea that applying any LSP can cause static buildup until first wash or rain. But assuming you’ve cleaned the car since then, I’ll be interested to hear if the attraction goes away on its own or if the Gliss maybe is causing it some?

I’m guessing The Guz will get into this conversation soon and provide his experience. He’s a fan of Gliss and can probably provide insight.

Post Thanks / Like

hey guys, thanks for the responses. I applied the coatings on Monday and Tuesday of this week so only about 3-4 days old. I don't think I'm supposed to wash it until after 7 days although i might cheat and do it a little sooner. It will be garage kept but this week my wife had to drive it as her car got hit by a deer and her car hasn't been safe to drive. Yeah, seriously. This deer caused over $10K of damage and it didn't even look that bad. Anyway, she's been driving my car and it rained yesterday so it got wet. I blew the water off when she got home last night. Might give it a wash this weekend, something light and no touch.

We don't really have pollen yet up here in the north east. I was wondering if it could have been my MF towels but i doubt it. Its really hard to see, i have to get down on an almost parallel angle to see the dust.

The UK3.0 is actually quite sticky after application. The next day, when i applied GLiss 2.0, it got really slick. I like the way it makes it feel.

boosted - I hate that auto-stop start feature. So annoying. At least it can be turned off. Hopefully I don't have any issues w this car.

AcuraS82, it is a bit better on gas but i probably won't notice it once i really get to start driving it, lol. I'll let you know what happens after first wash.

I don't have any real good pics yet so i'll post a few that i have so far.

1st pic is of beading on hood.
    2nd pic is of beading on roof.
    3rd pic is just a booty shot of the car pre detail. I love the exhaust look of this car.
    4th pic is just a side angle shot, again, pre detail.
    5th pic is a pic of the products I used for my detail.

i'll get some post detail pics soon. Waiting for a good day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got me a new car and coated it and.....-beading-shot-hood-jpg   Got me a new car and coated it and.....-beading-shot-roof-jpg   Got me a new car and coated it and.....-c43-booty-jpg   Got me a new car and coated it and.....-c43-side-jpg   Got me a new car and coated it and.....-detailing-aresenal-jpg  
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

8. Likes acuRAS82, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gliss has a tendency to leave a haze. After the first wash it should be fine. As long as you don't use any harsh chemicals you can wash 5-7 days later with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

not sure how to update original post. Adding a couple of pictures here. Also, i washed the car on Sunday and dried it. So far, doesn't seem to be attracting lint or dust so happy about that. I considered coating the leather but since its synthetic not sure if its necessary. Any thoughts on that? Do you guys think there would still be some value in doing that? Thanks for reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got me a new car and coated it and.....-angle-jpg   Got me a new car and coated it and.....-cockpit-jpg   Got me a new car and coated it and.....-mb-tex-jpg   Got me a new car and coated it and.....-rear-seats-jpg  

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice car, nice look!

My value in coating letter is to protect it’s longevity from natural and human elements. Maybe synthetic leather is better against natural elements like sun, but if you have any spills or smears, the coating should help protect against staining and make it easier to clean.

The choice is yours, I try to always have protection on my leather... but I also have a 4-year old riding mate.