autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile 2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!

Last weekend I spent two days doing a paint restoration on my girlfriend's 2008 Honda CRV. It has never had wax or sealant applied to it since it was purchased back in 2008. It also had multiple scratches and a large damaged spot where she backed into something and swiped against something else. I fully consider myself a "noob" at this stuff so if you see that i did something wrong, used the incorrect combo, or have any suggestions, then feel to comment.

Products Used:

Sonax Fallout Remover Spray - This was my first time using iron/fallout remover spray. I washed and dried the car, applied the fallout remover and waited 6-7 minutes before using a sponge to wipe the car before finally rinsing the car. I was not super impressed with the product. There were sections of the car that did not turn color. However, I know that there was major fallout contamination being that we live in a big city and the car hasnever been waxed before.

Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 - I have used the griots synthetic clay alternative and like the mothers version better. I also used traditional mothers clay for stubborn areas after using the speed clay product. Overall, I enjoy mothers clay products.

Griots G9 DA Polisher - Wow what a difference this tool is from my previous cheapo Harbor Freight unit. This was my first car using this polisher on as I recently purchased it. It is smoother, quieter, has more power, and is easier to hold than the HF tool.

Meguiars M110 Pro Ultra Speed Compound with Meguiars microfiber cutting pads - I was truly impressed as to the amount of scratches that I was able to fix on her car. I completely fixed the damaged area where she swiped into another object. It produced minimal dusting and worked very well.

Optim Polish II with Lake Country Hydrotech orange pads - Ihave always loved this formula and have used it the past few years. The Optimpolish has great working time and does a great job overall. I see now that it has been previously discontinued so it looks like I will have to find an alternative in the future.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant with Lake Country Hydrotechcrimson pads - I truly enjoy the gloss that this stuff brings out. I personally own a black car and this stuff produces such a great gloss.

McKee’s 37 Plastic Trim Restorer - This product worked very well. I look forward to seeing how long it will last.

Vehicle: 2008 Honda CRV

Older "before" image.. (I forgot to take a picture of the entire car before starting)
    2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-before-whole-jpg

Close up of the hood
    2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-before-hood-jpg

Pretty crazy difference after initially starting
    2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-test-spot-hood-jpg

This was after i clayed but before i started with compound.
    Notice the heavy scratches going toward the plastic on the fender
    2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-before-scratches-jpg

After shot of the fender
    2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-after-scratches-jpg

Work in progress..
    2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-during-jpg 2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-img_20200119_154237-jpg

After!
    2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-after-front-jpg 2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-after-2-jpg 2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!-after-3-jpg

2. Likes Diner, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2008 Honda CRV - Never had a wax a single coat of wax or sealant!

Good process. Your after shots prove it.

4. Thanks jrm523 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. Surprised that the clear coat is still intact after 12 years of neglect. Honda has super thin clear coats.

6. Thanks jrm523 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks outstanding! As Rsurfer mentioned, Honda’s have very thin clear coat and I was surprised that you used the MF pad! I have a black Acura tlx and have only used the Lake Country Orange pad with great results.

Again, outstanding work!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

8. Thanks jrm523 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments!

I originally used the orange pad with a lighter compound but it didnt remove a lot of the scratches. I tested with the 110 using a MF pad and it worked so well. I was very cautious to check after my test spot to make sure I wasnt burning through. I am glad I didnt know that Honda's have thin clear coats or else i would have been nervous haha. I would have taken additional "after" pics but I was so worn out by the time i was done. It was very cold outside so I was stuck in the closed garage doing the work.

One issue that I struggle with is I am a bit OCD when it comes to detailing. I have to keep reminding myself that it wont be perfect and move on. I spent two days on the CRV and need to work on making my process a bit more efficient.

10. Likes Celabe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work. You also did well dealing with all of that black trim being in the way of where you want to run your DA polisher.

12. Thanks jrm523 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are some great results! She must be very happy...she now has a brand new looking CRV! Well done.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

14. Thanks jrm523 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrm523 View Post
    Last weekend I spent two days doing a paint restoration on my girlfriend's 2008 Honda CRV. It has never had wax or sealant applied to it since it was purchased back in 2008. It also had multiple scratches and a large damaged spot where she backed into something and swiped against something else. I fully consider myself a "noob" at this stuff so if you see that i did something wrong, used the incorrect combo, or have any suggestions, then feel to comment.
    Great work. Looks like a new car! You should feel really good abut the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job. That blue looks new. Tackle the headlights and it will look brand new. I have the same slow problem....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Thanks jrm523 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Awesome job. That blue looks new. Tackle the headlights and it will look brand new. I have the same slow problem....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha yes. The headlights are next. I told her they would have to wait. I've got some McKees 37 headlight restoration polish on hand. I may try that first and if they don't come out then I may end up going the route of wet sanding them.

Does anyone know of a good coating to put on the headlights after I polish them out?

Once again, I appreciate everyone's comments. Most of my friends and family don't realize the amount of work that is required to do a job like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast