autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Detail Down Under!!!

Nothing short of incredible! That style of boat is unique to the Kiwis and Aussies, there's nothing like it in North America. I hope your upcoming trip to our shores is both awesome and uneventful.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Such a cool looking boat. Love that's it's aluminium, but lots of work to keep it clean. Great job!

Mike Phillips

Nice!

For anyone that has never done any work like this not only does it take a long time and a LOT of muscle, it's also very dirty work.

I'm like you Aaryn, I not a fan of detailing boats or large things. Renny Doyle can have Air Force One and Joe Fernandez can have all the old World War II War Birds. Me? I much prefer to work on cool cars.

Thank you for taking the time to STOP what you're doing and take pictures and then LATER process the pictures and share them here on our forum. So few people now days know how to do this type of work and so few do it, so it's greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure the rest of our forum community plus all the LURKERS that visit this site each year to gain information but never join and participate.

Post Thanks / Like

Boat Detail Down Under!!!

Very ballsy detail Aaryn, must have been satisfying at the end.

Even more ballsy is using HF (hydrofluoric acid)!

What made you choose HF over HC? What precautions did you take to avoid contact?

HF is no joke, it messes with the nerve function and attacks calcium in the bone via tissue penetration.

PSA: I’m sure Aaryn went above and beyond to protect himself and the environment from the acid but please don’t use Hydrofluoric Acid to clean your exhaust tips or bull bar. It’ll work, but you have the potential bonus of cardiac arrest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Nothing short of incredible! That style of boat is unique to the Kiwis and Aussies, there's nothing like it in North America. I hope your upcoming trip to our shores is both awesome and uneventful.
    Thank you RTexasF.

You know, on our first visit to the USA we walked through a boat sales yard in Orlando (biggest one I’ve ever seen to be honest) & we noticed how different boats were over there compared to what’s normal here .... anyone able to shed some light on why exactly??? Just different or is it a performance thing? I would’ve thought rough water was rough water.

Thanks for taking the time to comment my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    Such a cool looking boat. Love that's it's aluminium, but lots of work to keep it clean. Great job!
    Cheers Bobby B.

All I see now after Coatingsarecracks comment is the Tesla Truck!! Hahahahaha!

Agree, it would be a nightmare to maintain & exactly what I told the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Nice!

For anyone that has never done any work like this not only does it take a long time and a LOT of muscle, it's also very dirty work.

I'm like you Aaryn, I not a fan of detailing boats or large things. Renny Doyle can have Air Force One and Joe Fernandez can have all the old World War II War Birds. Me? I much prefer to work on cool cars.

Thank you for taking the time to STOP what you're doing and take pictures and then LATER process the pictures and share them here on our forum. So few people now days know how to do this type of work and so few do it, so it's greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure the rest of our forum community plus all the LURKERS that visit this site each year to gain information but never join and participate.

Many thanks Mike.

Always appreciate the kind words my friend.

Yeah, I knew what was going to go into this job & in all honesty I wasn’t keen on doing it. If I was going to do it it was going to be at a price that eased the pain & obviously that was in my favour.

Thank you Mike, it’s a small portion of the involvement I would like to have on the Forum & a minor return for everything the Forum & its good folks have given me over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    Very ballsy detail Aaryn, must have been satisfying at the end.

Even more ballsy is using HF (hydrofluoric acid)!

What made you choose HF over HC? What precautions did you take to avoid contact?

HF is no joke, it messes with the nerve function and attacks calcium in the bone via tissue penetration.

PSA: I’m sure Aaryn went above and beyond to protect himself and the environment from the acid but please don’t use Hydrofluoric Acid to clean your exhaust tips or bull bar. It’ll work, but you have the potential bonus of cardiac arrest.
    Thank you WristyManchego.

Actually, thank you for bringing that up because it’s very important folks reading this understand that working with dangerous chemicals it is VITAL you take every precaution to keep yourself, the people around you & of course the environment as safe as possible. As did I. Actually if anyone saw me they would’ve thought I was some alien investigation dude, or the alien itself.

This product is designed to be used as an alloy brightner/cleaner & is fairly diluted in comparison to one we used to use on Horticultural Sprayers. If I could’ve avoided that step & achieved the results I needed, I most certainly would’ve.

The actual polishing steps weren’t taken any less seriously. Previous metal polishing experience under my belt (a couple of Airstream Caravans In there too) I knew how much product “atomises” during the process. High temps had me wiping the sweat off my forehead with my blackened nitrile gloves & everytime I removed my mask to drink, I ended up looking like I was in the coal mines ...

Thanks again for highlighting the need for absolute safety!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

6. Thanks WristyManchego thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post
    Brother my hats off! This is what separates the pros from others. In all honesty I wouldn't have known where to begin nor care to even do this boat!!!

You killed it and that right there shows your workmanship!
    Thank you Justin.

Appreciate the kind words buddy.

Unfortunately ... or fortunately ... ahh, I’m not sure exactly, this job has opened a can of worms, I’ve had a handful of enquires from folks wanting their Alloy Boats done too. Not so enthusiastic about that but I gotta say, for the same rate , I’m in.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Thank you WristyManchego.

Actually, thank you for bringing that up because it’s very important folks reading this understand that working with dangerous chemicals it is VITAL you take every precaution to keep yourself, the people around you & of course the environment as safe as possible. As did I. Actually if anyone saw me they would’ve thought I was some alien investigation dude, or the alien itself.

This product is designed to be used as an alloy brightner/cleaner & is fairly diluted in comparison to one we used to use on Horticultural Sprayers. If I could’ve avoided that step & achieved the results I needed, I most certainly would’ve.

The actual polishing steps weren’t taken any less seriously. Previous metal polishing experience under my belt (a couple of Airstream Caravans In there too) I knew how much product “atomises” during the process. High temps had me wiping the sweat off my forehead with my blackened nitrile gloves & everytime I removed my mask to drink, I ended up looking like I was in the coal mines ...

Thanks again for highlighting the need for absolute safety!

Aaryn NZ.
    Legend.

Was there a reason you were recommended HF over HC? Was it to do with its particular properties or it was simply available? Was the advice from a chemist or materials engineer by any chance?

Interested in understanding it’s benefits. HC typically does everything the non-chemist would need.

Post Thanks / Like

Legend.

Was there a reason you were recommended HF over HC? Was it to do with its particular properties or it was simply available? Was the advice from a chemist or materials engineer by any chance?

Interested in understanding it’s benefits. HC typically does everything the non-chemist would need.
    To be 100% honest - Yes, I went with this option because of the recommendation of the team that makes the product. I can certainly ask for further information & post an update here. They’re a great family owned business & very honest & transparent in this regard.

Aaryn NZ.

Mike Phillips

Was there a reason you were recommended HF over HC?

Was it to do with its particular properties or it was simply available? Was the advice from a chemist or materials engineer by any chance?

Hi WristyManchego,

Because I'm not a chemist and never try to play one on this forum, can you share what the letters HC stand for?

I know HF = Hydrofluoric Acid, which is a common ingredient used for chrome wheel cleaners as it dissolves the bond between brake dust and chrome so the brake dust can be rinsed off. But when I type HC or H.C. into Skynet, I don't come up with a common chemical I recognize.

Now HCL stands for Hydrochloric Acid, but that's not the same thing as HC.

If you can, clarify so everyone is on the same page as far as chemicals being talked about.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you RTexasF.

You know, on our first visit to the USA we walked through a boat sales yard in Orlando (biggest one I’ve ever seen to be honest) & we noticed how different boats were over there compared to what’s normal here .... anyone able to shed some light on why exactly??? Just different or is it a performance thing? I would’ve thought rough water was rough water.

Thanks for taking the time to comment my friend.
    In your area it's function over form. That particular style apparently is totally suitable for the seas encountered there by serious fisherman. There are many commercial aluminum boats here including some used by the US Coast Guard. Pretty they are not, functional they are.

The public, for their purchases, want pretty and fast. Fuel consumption is secondary. You'll likely see this in Florida with the many boats powered by 3, 4, 5, or even 6 high powered outboards. Horsepower from 700 through 1300 or more is pretty standard for those with the $$$. I couldn't afford to feed one of those beasts for an hour!
    Rick....now in North Texas

12. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast