autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My new (to me) 2010 Audi S4, Prestige! :) Come join me through this journey...

Soooo....back at it again today.

Thought I had the paint figured out...but when I go through my passes with FG400...I then look close and see the spiderwebbing and most of the scratches out...but looks to be left with is it micro scratches?? They almost look like little wool hairs...but I am not sure as I've never seen this before.

I am pretty frustrated and don't know what to do.

I used a 'polish' thin white pad, I want to say it's autogeek's own?? With Menz 2500 after that...and see the same scratches!

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how the black in Audi is supposed to look like? My GF thinks that's how it's supposed to be...but that doesn't feel right.

Super beat down right now and don't know what to do.

My last two options are Menz 4500 with a thicker softer polishing pad...

I also bought HD Speed to try that out one day on someone's car. Maybe that?? Out of ideas and feel defeated... HELP!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My new (to me) 2010 Audi S4, Prestige! :) Come join me through this journey...

Soooo... I just finished the car today and just went through wtih FG400. The paint is SOOOO hard. Had to do a lot more passes than I imagined from a test spot I did last week. And it did NOT finish LSP ready but that was half to be expected. May do it tomorrow... but it may rain. If I don't, will leave car in garage and finish next week.

With that said, I now have what looks to be holograms.

Right?? Or is that my eyes? I haven't had this happen before. What do I do from here? I have (as stated on the post earlier) Menz 2500, SF4500 and HD Speed. Can any of these help take out the damn holograms.

I've worked on BMW paint before on a friend's car, they have pretty hard paint...but this is ridiculous.

And also discovered this tiny bit of rust in the fenders....how bad is this? Will I need to repaint the whole fender? Or can it be saved?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Soooo... I just finished the car today and just went through wtih FG400. The paint is SOOOO hard. Had to do a lot more passes than I imagined from a test spot I did last week. And it did NOT finish LSP ready but that was half to be expected. May do it tomorrow... but it may rain. If I don't, will leave car in garage and finish next week.

With that said, I now have what looks to be holograms.

Right?? Or is that my eyes? I haven't had this happen before. What do I do from here? I have (as stated on the post earlier) Menz 2500, SF4500 and HD Speed. Can any of these help take out the damn holograms.

I've worked on BMW paint before on a friend's car, they have pretty hard paint...but this is ridiculous.

And also discovered this tiny bit of rust in the fenders....how bad is this? Will I need to repaint the whole fender? Or can it be saved?

I do a lot of audis and vws. Oberk and a MF pad make the paint almost last step ready.

You will need a heavy pad for cut and polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input.

Will be using this guy:

With Menz SF4500. Hoping that knocks that out.

Post Thanks / Like

Sooo...I tried to knock it out this past weekend. I gave her a wash...but when I brought her out in the light to do an inspection of the paint after FG400 and Megs MF pad from last week...the whole paint looked like this. I did a test portion on the door using the 4500 and a the white foam pad and it did nothing.

I am a newb...are these RIDS? Should the FG400 and MF pad not have taken these out? They're really bad on the hood, but they're all over the car.

The paint looks amazing 90% of the time, but when you hit it in direct sunlight you see this all over the car. It's not super noticeable... Pic below adjusted to show the scratches as best as I can. Paint looks awesome though (for most part).

Anyway, I said I had enough for now. Felt defeated haha. So I said it looks good for what I am looking for and will pick up probably in the spring. I am happy to where it is now compared to where it was. Looks a ton better...but these little scratches (spiderwebbing?) sucks when I see it in the right light.

I finished it off with Menz Powerlock for the winter and will probably just do waterless washes from this point forward. Getting cold around here.

Thoughts?

6. Thanks kafas thanked for this post
    Likes kafas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had something very similar happen to me on an S4 a few months ago, it actually turned out to be the lint from the MF towels!

I would try wiping in a different direction to see if the scratches “move”, that’s how I figured it out!

The products I used was Pinnacle Compound and the matching polish.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies, I was looking at the pics on my phone instead of my computer but see you have something else going on!!

As Gilda Radner from Saturday Night Live would say..."never mind"!

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the S4 Family

I'm certianly no expert - but I absolutely find the Audi Paint to be hard on my 2012.

I find FG400 is a good option - but I also had luck with CarpPro Essence using Uro-Fibre Pads on PC7424XP

Here's the Trunk Lid on mine after Essense Polish with and UK3.0 - while not perfect it's scratch / RIDS free - I would call that 85%

Seems like you're almost there - you could go after a little more with FG400 on a white pad or try an orange pad as well - then finish with a finer jeweling or finish pad and true polish?

10. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful find! Classic sports coupe lines. You've made great progress on it since Day One.

12. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what happened with the post I tried to do a couple of days ago or if it's in another thread or something.

But as grovlet mentioned I would also try the HC400 on the white pad for the micro marring that is. As I think that the sf4500/SF3800 is just not aggressive enough on the hard Audi paint. Maybe the SF3500 is enough or the PF2500. But the HC400 has a finishing ability of 8/10 and that's not bad. If you try you may need to be jeweling polish step it with the sf4500 or if you get the SF3500 to do so or if you going with a coating Carpro Essence on a fine finishing pad is a great option to go with and you get a primer for the LSP of choice.

That's RIDS you see in the longer kind of scratches. The micro marring looks like small pigtails as it comes from the 2 circular motions of the DA polisher. HC400 is great but it's still a light to medium cut compound with a of 8/10 by Menzerna schart. If you want to get more aggressive they have Menzerna SHC300 with a cut of 10/10 and finish of 6/10. There you will need to be stepping up to the SF3500 at least to get the micro marring from it leveled down. I think that you would be satisfied with the Sonax Cutmax for compound with the higher cut than the HC400 and around the same as the SHC300. Maybe you need to be useing a more aggressive pad too. Lake Country Low Lint Lambswool pad is great on the DA polishers. The LC Foamed Wool Pad is a tad less aggressive.

Then you already done a pretty heavy cut compound. So maybe it's enough to just go over it one more time with the HC400 on the mf cutting pad. Some RIDS is just to deep to go after and the paint gets too thin. If you do a thorough panel prep wipe down so you get any compound residue out from the scratches that is left you may see an improvement as that usually shines up the scratches more with residue in them. Also if you see more of these RIDS on curves and edges and concave bodylines. Have a close eye on the mark on the backing plate as it's usually here you get the most stalling of the pad rotation.

/ Tony

14. Thanks Matador thanked for this post
    Likes Matador liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12