autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1968 Pro-tour Camaro - AG team effort

The like was for the more car show wins.

What mf towels and mf drying towels are you useing when you wash?

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Damn that's a beautiful machine. Wowzers. Looks amazing.

Looks like you are doing everything you possibly can to clean the vehicle and minimize the marring. I would imagine all micro fibers are off the highest quality and have towels set specifically for certain areas of the car? ie towels only for paint, towels for glass, for wheels, etc?
    Yes, not mixing and matching

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The like was for the more car show wins.

What mf towels and mf drying towels are you useing when you wash?

/ Tony
    Actually using forest green edgeless towels I bought here and a gyeon purple plush drying towel
    For the detailing process I am using an other brand from elsewhere

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not experience user of rinseless wash or waterless wash. But if it's the silk dryer towel from Gyeon that has the twisted loop nap mf as the GG PFM Drying MF Towel has. How does it works for you when you dry the paint with it? Is it just one light swipe over the wet solution left on the paint and it's dry or is it more like a buffing kind of drying you need to be doing?

The reason I ask is that I have some different brands of these kind of twisted loop mf drying towels. And if I would need to be doing a buffing kind of drying to get the solution soaked up. I would get another drying towels when doing RW and WW. They are mostly in a 80/20 blend of microfiber and that's not the softest blend of mf. And with that kind of loops and long nap on solution that don't get you a dry paint after 1 or 2 swipes or drags. They can be getting more aggressive than say a quality split weave mf drying towel of 70/30 blend of microfiber. No question at all that the PFM style drying towels is the best fast soaking drying towels available. But when that's ability is not enough I would chose to use a very high gsm split weave mf drying towel. Which is way more gentle IME when you need to be doing more passes than 2. And if your Gyeon drying towel gets saturated and in the beginning soaked up the wash solution faster. Get more of them as that's what you are after with those. If you wring it out and it still soak up less than when you had it fresh. More so to get more of them. They are for me when only drying water a bare to wring them out as they want to hold as much of water as possible LOL. So I have just bought more of them.

Have you used any drying aids or letting the drying towel dry with the ONR solution on it? Especially when you use a drying aid some of them can mess heavly with the drying towels performance to soak up water or wash solution. I don't use drying aid when drying but a little hard to get off that effect from WW and RW LOL. It took many machine washes before my favorite drying towels performance where back to normal. And it was frustrateing when you know what performance it had and after some use with drying aid the performance where crappy to be gentle. Also it's feeled like I needed way more buffing with drying aid. But what I seen and the very little I have tested with WW the solution kind of evaporate of as you drying it.

If you get this from any of your mf towels you have a soft paint or scratch sensitive paint. Then maybe you need something more plusher mf towels when you wash your car. If you going to be ordering in the near future ad some of the TRC Eagle Edgeless in 500gsm. A top tier mf towel when you need to be as gentle as possible but still effective. Then on your black paint and you are working closely on it often you notice even the tiniest marring and or scratch. So to have it in top of defect free you may be doing a finishing polish step on it 1 or 2 times depending on the how long your car show season are. That won't remove a measurable amount of clearcoat and can be done many times. But it's a lot of work to do and you will decide if it's worth it. Or wait until the next season is about to start and work that finish up again to the highest possible.

That's some tips I thought of. Looked at some mf towels and mf drying towels that AGO has

Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel, 26 x 18 inches

16x16 Eagle Edgeless Microfiber Towel - Blue

/ Tony

5. Likes pittpens24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not experience user of rinseless wash or waterless wash. But if it's the silk dryer towel from Gyeon that has the twisted loop nap mf as the GG PFM Drying MF Towel has. How does it works for you when you dry the paint with it? Is it just one light swipe over the wet solution left on the paint and it's dry or is it more like a buffing kind of drying you need to be doing?

The reason I ask is that I have some different brands of these kind of twisted loop mf drying towels. And if I would need to be doing a buffing kind of drying to get the solution soaked up. I would get another drying towels when doing RW and WW. They are mostly in a 80/20 blend of microfiber and that's not the softest blend of mf. And with that kind of loops and long nap on solution that don't get you a dry paint after 1 or 2 swipes or drags. They can be getting more aggressive than say a quality split weave mf drying towel of 70/30 blend of microfiber. No question at all that the PFM style drying towels is the best fast soaking drying towels available. But when that's ability is not enough I would chose to use a very high gsm split weave mf drying towel. Which is way more gentle IME when you need to be doing more passes than 2. And if your Gyeon drying towel gets saturated and in the beginning soaked up the wash solution faster. Get more of them as that's what you are after with those. If you wring it out and it still soak up less than when you had it fresh. More so to get more of them. They are for me when only drying water a bare to wring them out as they want to hold as much of water as possible LOL. So I have just bought more of them.

Have you used any drying aids or letting the drying towel dry with the ONR solution on it? Especially when you use a drying aid some of them can mess heavly with the drying towels performance to soak up water or wash solution. I don't use drying aid when drying but a little hard to get off that effect from WW and RW LOL. It took many machine washes before my favorite drying towels performance where back to normal. And it was frustrateing when you know what performance it had and after some use with drying aid the performance where crappy to be gentle. Also it's feeled like I needed way more buffing with drying aid. But what I seen and the very little I have tested with WW the solution kind of evaporate of as you drying it.

If you get this from any of your mf towels you have a soft paint or scratch sensitive paint. Then maybe you need something more plusher mf towels when you wash your car. If you going to be ordering in the near future ad some of the TRC Eagle Edgeless in 500gsm. A top tier mf towel when you need to be as gentle as possible but still effective. Then on your black paint and you are working closely on it often you notice even the tiniest marring and or scratch. So to have it in top of defect free you may be doing a finishing polish step on it 1 or 2 times depending on the how long your car show season are. That won't remove a measurable amount of clearcoat and can be done many times. But it's a lot of work to do and you will decide if it's worth it. Or wait until the next season is about to start and work that finish up again to the highest possible.

That's some tips I thought of. Looked at some mf towels and mf drying towels that AGO has

Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel, 26 x 18 inches

16x16 Eagle Edgeless Microfiber Towel - Blue

/ Tony
    Wow thanks soo much for your comment. The gyeon drying towel is absolutley phenomenal. One quick pass and it is dry! So much better than the waffle weave towels I have!
    I think you are right and my wash towels are not plush enough coupled with the WW not being the ideal wash in the situation at hand. Must be dragging dirt even though I am making only one light pass

When I wash my black truck, that is done with a foam cannon rinsed and then washed by hand. No marring or scratching on that!

Will get better towels for the WW and see if that helps - thanks

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to hear that these kind of mf drying towels works as good as after a bucket wash. That's one concern I have if doing a RW or WW. I have EcH2O at home and have had it for a long time. But been putting it forward to do a whole wash LOL. It's so easy as I always has water available and it gets to do a bucket wash instead. And getting DI water to a reasonable price here in Sweden is not easy. Found that a brand that a local company sells that's walking distance from me have DI water in 25L jugs about 7 gallons. So will hear with him if he can take home 2 of those for me LOL. Looking every where and the neighbor may sell to me LOL.

Hope you find your mf towels that works for you in your situations. I would test out the Eagle Edgeless in 500gsm as they are top notch quality. Maybe get you something like the iK Multi Pro 2 sprayer and fill it with DI water. And use it to prerinse the dirtiest parts and with the DI water you don't get water spots. Or another pressure pump sprayer that building up as high of a pressure as possible to get the loose dirt off first. The less loose and bigger dirt for the mf towels to handle the better. Maybe not ideal to have something like the WORX Hydroshot with you on a car show. But that could be an option to get a more effective prerinse before the WW.

I was at a big car meet with american classic cars this summer. And in the line up to the presentation and on a gravel road too. There they where standing and wiped down with their QDs for the last touch and clean up. It where a lot of gravel dust flying around so I cringed to see how some did this. Also thought about what I would be doing in their case and it's not easy to figure out a safe method. Now most show cars is not in a perfect defect free conditions. But with something like yours with the defect free finish you have. I don't know how to tacle it other than testing me through on a simualar paint and dial in the methods and products to use.

9. Thanks pittpens24 thanked for this post
    Likes pittpens24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to hear that these kind of mf drying towels works as good as after a bucket wash. That's one concern I have if doing a RW or WW. I have EcH2O at home and have had it for a long time. But been putting it forward to do a whole wash LOL. It's so easy as I always has water available and it gets to do a bucket wash instead. And getting DI water to a reasonable price here in Sweden is not easy. Found that a brand that a local company sells that's walking distance from me have DI water in 25L jugs about 7 gallons. So will hear with him if he can take home 2 of those for me LOL. Looking every where and the neighbor may sell to me LOL.

Hope you find your mf towels that works for you in your situations. I would test out the Eagle Edgeless in 500gsm as they are top notch quality. Maybe get you something like the iK Multi Pro 2 sprayer and fill it with DI water. And use it to prerinse the dirtiest parts and with the DI water you don't get water spots. Or another pressure pump sprayer that building up as high of a pressure as possible to get the loose dirt off first. The less loose and bigger dirt for the mf towels to handle the better. Maybe not ideal to have something like the WORX Hydroshot with you on a car show. But that could be an option to get a more effective prerinse before the WW.

I was at a big car meet with american classic cars this summer. And in the line up to the presentation and on a gravel road too. There they where standing and wiped down with their QDs for the last touch and clean up. It where a lot of gravel dust flying around so I cringed to see how some did this. Also thought about what I would be doing in their case and it's not easy to figure out a safe method. Now most show cars is not in a perfect defect free conditions. But with something like yours with the defect free finish you have. I don't know how to tacle it other than testing me through on a simualar paint and dial in the methods and products to use.
    I have actually been using Distilled water to wash on site - not sure if that is the same as DI which could also mean De-ionized?

On a different note, I do have the Eagle 500gsm towels and actually hate them. Not only do they not wipe off clean - they leave lint behind everywhere. Maybe they would be great to use them as the wash towel. Gonna try that as they are worthless for anything else. The good towels I have are just as plush but even softer than those.

Either way, I will be looking at that next try after another polish cycle. Car show season here on the east coast is almost over so I will try to milk the polishing out til next year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123