autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

Update 9/14/2019: Added 4th and final coats of these to the Acura (just wanted to finish my UQW bottle so I can eventually dig into my D156 gallon).

Not much rain/beading to report... the little there has been I saw no difference in beads. The car is parked somewhat under a tall tree and gets pollen-ish spots, leaf stains, and sticky spots (but not sap, just junk that comes down during rain). No water spots or etching from the miscellaneous junk... everything comes off easily with WW, RW, or regular wash. Both products protect very well in that manner.

2. Likes Dr Oldz, SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update 9/23/2019:
    It rained today and I was able to focus on my hood while driving 40-55mph down back roads .

Beads on the drivers side sheeted off at 40-55mph faster and more so than the passenger side UQW. I wouldn’t call it a blowout, but it was a solid 2 touchdown victory. Sorry, the picture isn’t great, but you can take my word for it. After a 20 minute ride, I would guess the DG AW side had cleared 85% of water while UQW had cleared 80% of water.

DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-adjustments-jpg
    DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-adjustments-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-adjustments-jpg

4. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Update 9/23/2019:
    It rained today and I was able to focus on my hood while driving 40-55mph down back roads .

Beads on the drivers side sheeted off at 40-55mph faster and more so than the passenger side UQW. I wouldn’t call it a blowout, but it was a solid 2 touchdown victory. Sorry, the picture isn’t great, but you can take my word for it. After a 20 minute ride, I would guess the DG AW side had cleared 85% of water while UQW had cleared 80% of water.

DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-adjustments-jpg
    DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-adjustments-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-adjustments-jpg
    Great info.

I still need to get my DGAW/Bead Maker side-by-side done before it gets too cold.

But after using the BM for a couple months now, my opinion is that the DG would also win out. (Maybe not by two touchdowns, but maybe a touchdown and a safety)
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

Update 9/26/19:
    Just a hood bead shot after a night of rain. No major difference, beads look fine on both.
    DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0052-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0053-jpg

Same morning, different car (for additional comparison sake’s). Q5 has 3 week old WG Fuzion Spray Wax, which I consider to be the king of non-SiO2 spray waxes (one of the king’s anyways).
    DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0054-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0055-jpg

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)

Update 10/17/19 (One month after last application):

Beading still, but it’s not pretty. The car was dirty, had been driven for 4/5 days with no wash. This after it had been pouring. I’m getting close to calling these “done enough”. Maybe not quite yet, but soon. Sides look alright, but I veer towards worst case (trunk).

DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0631-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0632-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0633-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0635-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-adjustments-jpg

DG AW side:
    DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0636-jpg

UQW side:
    DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0637-jpg

Any thoughts from the crowd? Am I quitting on these too soon? Am I just desperate to cleanse and try something new??

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think both sides look pretty good still, maybe a slight edge to DGAW. The beading doesn’t look as good on the trunk as you say. To be fair though, it looks better than most cars out there, maybe just more dirt has accumulated there than the front half.

I think you may be calling it a bit too soon all in the name of cleaning and trying something new. Whatever you choose though, it’s been a good thread to follow and I know the struggle of not trying something different haha.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

Since they are on par with each other and reaching their ends soon or at least ready to be topped up. I would call them done and do what you thinking of next. I would give a very slight nod to the passenger side UQW for more uniform beads. But they are so close so would say a draw between them longevity wise.

Or decide at the next wash if they revive some of their water behavior. If it's getting uniform beads and also if they sheet off like they use to or if the sheeting properties has also degraded much or not. And what the test was going to prove for you. As if when you would want to top performance wise LOL. Or if you wanted to wait until you got to see totaly failed on a section somewhere. And call them done from your thoughts when that is.

Can be hard to wait them out without topping them or apply something else.

Thanks for shareing your experience with us!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dmiglio and SWETM. I’ll wash today, see how it looks when clean, and likely hang on. I asked the question because I can get greedy when only thinking to myself, but it’s been this long so why not continue? Next rain is due to be a quarter inch on Tuesday.

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Below is a reply of mine from another thread about the wash today:

The AW and UQW still have some fight left in them. They sheet water off pretty slow during final rinse, but it does eventually sheet off and it’s left with dry paint plus beading similar to the hood in the picture from my other thread. The trunk top is still the worst (likely because it’s parallel to the ground) but those beads look improved after the wash. The paint isn’t very slick, which wasn’t an issue during the wash but drying without an ad is becoming a little scary, and I was too lazy to pull out the blower. Will probably bring it out next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Update 10/25/19:

Washed today with Mckees Foam Soap. Finally got some exciting news! UQW is now outperforming DG AW for water behavior. Both before and after the wash, the UQW side sheets faster. That is, DG AW has significantly slowed down but is still present. I observed this on the trunk, roof and hood.

I grabbed some pictures of the hood. The below pictures are from the time I stop rain flooding the hood, until around 10 seconds after. DG AW on the left, UQW on the right:
    DG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0765-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0766-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0767-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0768-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0769-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0770-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0771-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0772-jpgDG AW vs. UQW Showdown (as toppers)-img_0774-jpg

Lots of rain coming tomorrow and Sunday morning so stay tuned!

17. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast