autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

2004 BMW 745 Li -- Black Sapphire Metallic

Hi folks. Here we have a... pretty advanced for its time... BMW 745 Li.

The client came by to see our next project in waiting, his 2019 Dodge Ram 2500 Longhorn Edition. We had finished the decontamination and wash and it was in a bay waiting. He was impressed with how good we made it look.

I explained we hadn't put a single pad or product on it yet and that what he was seeing was the physical and chemical decontamination starting to bring it back to life. I thought that was a good example of how what some folks do might set them apart from what others do in this profession. A good bit of which is learned and shared here!

On to the project.

Old hazy paint with swirls and scratches. The paint gauge showed some inconsistencies with the range being 10 mil to 4.15 mil. Client confirmed the hood and 'maybe a door' had been repainted.

We typically dont do wheels off due to what I feel is lack of proper equipped, but this time we made an exception.

One note, it was so darn hot and humid and although it worked well, the product had to be used twice. It dried out after approximately 4 passes , cleaned pads, and maybe 3 more passes. Wasn't fun.

We are pretty proud of this project.

Thanks for viewing and enjoy.

Ryan

Wheels -- Gyeon Iron, Meguiars Hyper Wash, Gyeon Rim, Optimum Opti-Bond Tire, Wheel Barrels received Gyeon Wet Coat on interior (Gyeon Rim on faces)

Wheel Wells -- OPC, Gyeon Wet Coat, CG Bare Bones

Paint Cleaning -- Gyeon Iron, Meguiars Hyper Wash, Nanoskin, Air Dry

Digital Paint Gauge

Interior -- Vacuum, Compressed Air, OPC, Bead Maker for Door Jams, Wolfgang, Optimum Leather, Various Brushes and Foam/Soft Cotton Swabs, Skewers, Dental Tools, etc

Engine/Bay -- Vacuum, Compressed Air, OPC, Bead Maker, Wolfgang

Paint Correction -- Meguiars 110, Meguiars 210, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze on Hood and Trunk, LC Microfiber and LC White Pads, CarPro Eraser

Tools -- GG6, Makita PO5000CX1, iBrid Nano

Glass -- Sprayway, Eraser, Pinnacle GlassCoat, Gyeon View

Paint Protection -- Gyeon Syncro

That's about it I think...

Thanks again for viewing.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes SWETM, VISITOR, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2004 BMW 745 Li -- Black Sapphire Metallic

Great work and write up and pictures!

Just from the pictures I can see how the customer did think it looked good from a distance. But when you put the inspection light to it it really showed what was on it. Rare that a black paint don't look as it useally should with those pictures on it. The end results is nothing but extra ordinary deep black finish you got on it. Wondering if it's the hughe amount of metallic flakes in it that in some way made it not look so bad that it was. The really close up picture was showing a lot of metallic flakes in the paint. But not so obviuos from the pictures from a little longer away.

Also looked at the pictures in your other thread. Just an amazing deep black finish.

Thanks for shareing your work!

/ Tony

4. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Great work and write up and pictures!

Just from the pictures I can see how the customer did think it looked good from a distance. But when you put the inspection light to it it really showed what was on it. Rare that a black paint don't look as it useally should with those pictures on it. The end results is nothing but extra ordinary deep black finish you got on it. Wondering if it's the hughe amount of metallic flakes in it that in some way made it not look so bad that it was. The really close up picture was showing a lot of metallic flakes in the paint. But not so obviuos from the pictures from a little longer away.

Also looked at the pictures in your other thread. Just an amazing deep black finish.

Thanks for shareing your work!

/ Tony
    Thanks brother for the kind words and feedback. I think it cant hurt. Lol. It really was a cool turn around. They were impressed.

Ryan

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work! Man, did that thing need some decon'ing! Paint looks great now!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bro. Yeah no kidding. I dont think it had ever been done. Lol. Was a good project. 2004 BMW 745 Li -- Black Sapphire Metallic2004 BMW 745 Li -- Black Sapphire Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work. I purchased a 2015 black sapphire metallic BMW last month. Was able to do a full decon and correction this weekend, just waiting for some cure times before I pull it out and take pics. I can only hope my final paint looks somewhat close to what you’ve accomplished, and my paint wasn’t as hammered (thank God) as what you just accomplished.

Props to you!

10. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Excellent work. I purchased a 2015 black sapphire metallic BMW last month. Was able to do a full decon and correction this weekend, just waiting for some cure times before I pull it out and take pics. I can only hope my final paint looks somewhat close to what you’ve accomplished, and my paint wasn’t as hammered (thank God) as what you just accomplished.

Props to you!
    Thanks a lot. Hoping this client improves his cleaning regimen a little. Share some pics when you're finished.

12. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    Thanks a lot. Hoping this client improves his cleaning regimen a little. Share some pics when you're finished.

Shared some pics including flakes in the thread below, on the sister site. I’m not nearly as good of a camera man as you, I couldn’t even get good swirl pics prior to correcting.

2015 BMW X5 M Exterior - Pinnacle correction and Angelwax protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Shared some pics including flakes in the thread below, on the sister site. I’m not nearly as good of a camera man as you, I couldn’t even get good swirl pics prior to correcting.

2015 BMW X5 M Exterior - Pinnacle correction and Angelwax protection
    Stellar work amigo. Looks very crisp... love the hood shot...