autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by gatornek View Post
    These are the ones I'm getting.

(5) Orange
    (5) White

and a few others.

You say LC CCS Orange with Griots FCC worked well for swirls on your Shadow Black Mustang? Did you have to 'fine it out' with a lighter pad or finer polish on a subsequent step? FCC is slightly more 'abrasive' than 3D, so I imagine, I should have no trouble with Orange/3D on my car?
    For a test spot yes 16x16. My 2ftx2ft was for regular work.

I would order both correcting cream and fast correcting cream and try both. I ended up using the correcting cream with orange. I was not going for perfection but say 80%. I could tell whoever owned before me liked their free dealer washes.

The Griots creams are very popular ang highly recommended. I did not finish out with perfecting cream as I coated my car and used car pros essence.

If not wanting to decide on what sealant to use... read about Turtle wax Seal and Shine. Should be able to get locally at wall mart/autozone and is carnauba based sealant. It really works well just don’t over do on product. Look up on The forum. You could probably top whenever you feel with a carnauba paste wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you get Griots creams start with

1. white and correcting cream.

2. orange with correcting cream

3. White with Fast correcting cream

4. Orange with fast correcting cream

2 and 3 can be interchanged. I didn’t have white and felt green wasn’t aggressive enough. 2. Was my sweet spot.

Even though we have same paint don’t just do what I did as our level of swirls scratches could be different but also I’m from Washington our environments are totally different and could affect paint differently.

Once you find a combo acceptable no need to try more aggressive.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've learned a lot more than what I did when I first started collecting items for this 'mini-project'.

I'm going to stick with the 'all-in-one polish/sealant' 3D Speed. I think using a 'polish' rather than a compound, and a Porter Cable 7424 with both foam cutting pads, and CCS pads might be a good wheelhouse for me right now. Depending on how the intital results go for my test spot, I might just do one panel, and then possibly rethink my approach then, if I feel I have to.

Right now I have (12) 5.5" pads. (6) are Thin Pro and (6) are CCS. Im starting to realize its all about the combination of pads + machine + product + paint condition. When I thought I was dealing with 2+2=4, we were actually dealing with f(x)=x2+5x=7 LOL

My point is: there are A LOT of variables for a noob to absorb.

I look forward to this. And all its going to end up doing, is get me to look at other products and compounds and the like....to see if I can further pursue that "sweet spot" combination. Hopefully I don't spend all my money before I get there. LOL

Last side note hand holding question: Lets say I get down to the ThinPro Orange on my PC and it ends up "micromarring" my paint, a subsequent pass with the CCS pads, SHOULD theoretically remove that "micromarring" by the more abrasive pad?

Post Thanks / Like

1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang

You’re way over thinking this, which is why I suggest the PC2474 or Griots G6 and Speed.

Both very comparable machines, with small 8mm throw for learning. Initially, I only recommend the Griots, because they have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked…

And not because I met Richard Griot (super guy)!!

Use the orange CCS pads, they’re pretty awesome... as you can see they are the majority of my stash.

Rupes up top:

When I started off learning, it was on this car that I purchased to be a project car… after watching a few Mike Phillips videos, and buying some stuff, like you did…my friend who is a service manager at a Ford dealership at the time, said what’s the worst you can do screw it up? It’s just paint… And paint is paint. He said if you screw it up bring it in and we’ll fix it..

Well as you can see, I didn’t screw it up :-)

I mentioned HD speed, because it’s going to give you an incredible outcome, it’s super easy to use, super easy to come off, has a good protection element to it, and it is the least aggressive product. CCS pads are great, and the PC 7424 is incredibly safe machine to work with as long as you do proper section passes.

Keep it simple soldier! (KISS)

6. Likes gatornek, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've learned a lot more than what I did when I first started collecting items for this 'mini-project'.

I'm going to stick with the 'all-in-one polish/sealant' 3D Speed. I think using a 'polish' rather than a compound, and a Porter Cable 7424 with both foam cutting pads, and CCS pads might be a good wheelhouse for me right now. Depending on how the intital results go for my test spot, I might just do one panel, and then possibly rethink my approach then, if I feel I have to.

Right now I have (12) 5.5" pads. (6) are Thin Pro and (6) are CCS. Im starting to realize its all about the combination of pads + machine + product + paint condition. When I thought I was dealing with 2+2=4, we were actually dealing with f(x)=x2+5x=7 LOL

My point is: there are A LOT of variables for a noob to absorb.

I look forward to this. And all its going to end up doing, is get me to look at other products and compounds and the like....to see if I can further pursue that "sweet spot" combination. Hopefully I don't spend all my money before I get there. LOL

Last side note hand holding question: Lets say I get down to the ThinPro Orange on my PC and it ends up "micromarring" my paint, a subsequent pass with the CCS pads, SHOULD theoretically remove that "micromarring" by the more abrasive pad?
    Read these to get a better understanding. Different products but the concept is the same.

How many pads do I need to buff out my car?

Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips

Thin is in...

NEW! Meguiar’s Foam Buffing Discs

Review: Meguiar's D166 Ultra Polishing Wax by Mike Phillips

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1640021

Mark Your Backing Plate - Makes it easy to see Pad Rotation

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    You’re way over thinking this, which is why I suggest the PC2474 or Griots G6 and Speed.

Both very comparable machines, with small 8mm throw for learning. Initially, I only recommend the Griots, because they have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked…

And not because I met Richard Griot (super guy)!!

Use the orange CCS pads, they’re pretty awesome... as you can see they are the majority of my stash.

Rupes up top:

When I started off learning, it was on this car that I purchased to be a project car… after watching a few Mike Phillips videos, and buying some stuff, like you did…my friend who is a service manager at a Ford dealership at the time, said what’s the worst you can do screw it up? It’s just paint… And paint is paint. He said if you screw it up bring it in and we’ll fix it..

Well as you can see, I didn’t screw it up :-)

I mentioned HD speed, because it’s going to give you an incredible outcome, it’s super easy to use, super easy to come off, has a good protection element to it, and it is the least aggressive product. CCS pads are great, and the PC 7424 is incredibly safe machine to work with as long as you do proper section passes.

Keep it simple soldier! (KISS)

Me? Overthink?? Naaaaaaaahh.....

<wife snickers in background>

LOL.

I thinkk I'm fairly clear on what I need to do and I have all the things necessary.

For all intensive purposes you did steer me towards the Griots DA in conjunction with the 3D Speed at first. I was the one that elected for the PC7424 not really understanding that it might not be as effective with the 3D as a true 'one step'. I'll work my way up to the thinpro's on my test spot and report back the results.

My next post should hopefully be the 'show' from a 'show and shine' thread.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Here we go. It was hot as hell out there today, as I didn't get a chance to start until mid morning....way too late. But I wanted to get it done anyway.

Here is another quick pre pic I took of the hood. The "swirls" are severe.
    1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang-img_0215-jpg

I washed and decontaminated the car fist.

Then I clayed the car first with Mother's Clay & Detailer spray. I found the claying much easier than I thought it was going to be.

Then I set up my first test spot on top of the hood with my tape.
    1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang-img_0217-jpg

With the PC set to 5, and with the confidence of Mike's recommendation, I went straight to the LC White ThinPro. I figured if I marred, I had all the CCS pads necessary to buff it out. I guess it was beginners luck, because I was really impressed with the results. When I wiped off the 3D Speed to reveal what was underneath, I was like "WOW!" Not sure if the pic does it justice (test spot is on the right), but I could clearly see the difference in the sunlight, and that was good enough for me. So away I went with white thinpro's on the hood, roof, and trunk lid of my car.

1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang-img_0217-jpg

I guess the biggest problem I ran into was:

1) Balancing myself with one foot, either on my rear or front window, and the other foot on a step ladder so I can hit the roof, and the middle sections of my huge trunk lid. But I got it done. At the cost of my back! LOL

2) There were times when as I moved QUICKLY to spread the 3D around, before I get into my slow passes, I kind of splattered product around some.

3) And then obviously anything that had a lip or a ledge, it was hard keeping the PC spinning.

Let me tell you, by the time I got done with the 3D polish DA process, I was just about done. I was tuckered out. And I was feeling that maybe I'd skip the LSP since the 3D is a combo sealant. But then I popped open that Collinite Marque de Elegance, and man....that stuffed smelled so good, it made the whole LSP process that much easier.

I honestly can't believe I've been using Turtle Wax CArnauba all these years when there have been products like this around. WHAT. A. PLEASURE. Like rubbing butter on my car.

So anyway, here are some result pics:

1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang-img_0220-jpg
    1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang-img_0221-jpg
    1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang-img_0222-jpg
    1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang-img_0235-jpg
    1st Time DA Polish Project - Shadow Black Mustang-img_0238-jpg

10. Likes kevinkunkle, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks amazing, you did an awesome job that you can be proud of! Oh the "WOW" moment...isn't it cool?

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

12. Likes gatornek liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Looks amazing, you did an awesome job that you can be proud of! Oh the "WOW" moment...isn't it cool?

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    It really was. I had spent a lot of time truly worried about using a DA on my car. Turns out, there was nothing to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

It really was. I had spent a lot of time truly worried about using a DA on my car. Turns out, there was nothing to worry about.
    You are not alone with when have used a polisher for the first time that it's not to been worried to used. The work came out great looking on your Mustang. And this by removing a very very little of the clearcoat.

Great that you are satisfied with the 915 and it's a hidden gem in the high quality of carnuaba waxes. Many goes with the 845 and if wanting a longer longevity 476s. But the 915 has almost the longevity of the 845 so I would go with the 915 any day. Since I live in a harsh winter weather environment the 476s is a great choice for survive the winter months without any problems with needed to be topped up. And is a well liked wax for the winter protection here in Sweden. Collinite 845 and 476s and 915 is great waxes and offers you to chose which is suited to your needs. Just top it up with another layer of 915 when you want or need to. And a thorough wash and do the baggie test and if passed wax on.

15. Likes gatornek liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234