autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Product review/Show and shine. 3M new 8000grit VS a Lincoln Mark LT

So I recently purchased the new 3M 8000 grit Trizact disks in 6in and 3in. The purpose of these is to leave a surface that is ready to be polished without the need for heavy compounding.

How I see the benefits is that the 8000 is strong enough to level moderate defects(swirls etc) while still being gentle on the clear coat. For instance taking a heavy cutting compound and a wool or microfiber pad and making several passes while introducing heat into the paint.

I just so happened to have a Lincoln Mark LT in the shop that has had paint work prior so the thickness reading were on the high side. 9mil +/-. The paint had swirls, chemical staining from a car wash and other things. This was the perfect time to try this out.

Now 3M does have a one step polish and foam pad for this system. I did try the polish on my DA with some of my different pads and it just didn't seem to work well. Granted this product is meant more for a rotary application so I will try it with my PE-14 when I have some time.

One downside is the cost of these disks are a little high. a 15pk of the 6in was about 107$. A 15pk of the 3in is around 50$ But they don't wear out fast. I used 3 6in disks and 2 or 3 of the 3in disks. That is sanding everything but the front bumper and roof. I even sanded the huge fiberglass bed cover. But the trade off is time saved. I sanded and one stepped this truck in roughly 5hrs without the fatigue of heavy compounding etc.

For sanding I used my Rupes Duetto on speed 2.5/3 with a foam interface pad. I also used my 12mm swirl killer mini with a foam interface pad for tight areas. These disks are for damp sanding. Not to be confused with wet sanding. Just a couple mists of water is all that is needed.

Before shots of door

Sanded with 8000 Trizact. Now you can see it leaves a almost transparent finish.

For polishing I used my Boss G21, Mckees Redline orange pad and 3D ONE. Now this worked perfectly to polish in one step. On some paints this may or may not work. Just need to find the right combo for what your working on.

Here is the hood. Notice the chemical staining.

All finished and coated

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

2. Thanks SWETM, Diner, BillE thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, Diner, PaulMys, UncleDavy, VISITOR and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product review/Show and shine. 3M new 8000grit VS a Lincoln Mark LT

WOW Justin that's some awesome work! Great review and pictures.

I saw 3M has released new sanding/polishing disc that you can use wet damp dry on the paint. 3M Hook It Foam Sanding Disc the sizes available in 6" and 3" and the grits P800 P1000 P1500 P2000. A little cheaper than the Trizact discs. It's thin foam interface with aluminum oxide abrasives in it like in polishes.

Did you need to be doing many passes with the polisher with these Trizact P8000 discs? Can imagine that the 12mm throw is more aggressive than an usual sander. Saw they have Trizact P6000 but that may be to aggressive on oem paint with a 12mm throw?

That looks very flat and gets to look amazing that black paint and miles deep! Did you flatten it with the sanding or was it already sanded after the paint job?

Saw Jason Rose at Rupes detailing academy when Obsessed Garage where there. Ep9 I think it is in his series of paint correction. He showed on trunk lid on a heavly swirled up paint from swirl-o-matic how he does with sanding and polishing it out. Very interesting to see how little clearcoat he removed. Don't know if the clearcoat got a little swelled. Cause it where almost not measurable what amount of clearcoat he took off.

Did you do any measure reading afterwards to see how much you sanded and polished off?

Very interesting to see these Trizact discs you used.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Paint looks great! Those wheels are a whole different story.
    Bruno Soares

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!
    Just curious, with using such Discs, can one then forego Claying?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Beautiful work!
    KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    WOW Justin that's some awesome work! Great review and pictures.

I saw 3M has released new sanding/polishing disc that you can use wet damp dry on the paint. 3M Hook It Foam Sanding Disc the sizes available in 6" and 3" and the grits P800 P1000 P1500 P2000. A little cheaper than the Trizact discs. It's thin foam interface with aluminum oxide abrasives in it like in polishes.

Did you need to be doing many passes with the polisher with these Trizact P8000 discs? Can imagine that the 12mm throw is more aggressive than an usual sander. Saw they have Trizact P6000 but that may be to aggressive on oem paint with a 12mm throw?

That looks very flat and gets to look amazing that black paint and miles deep! Did you flatten it with the sanding or was it already sanded after the paint job?

Saw Jason Rose at Rupes detailing academy when Obsessed Garage where there. Ep9 I think it is in his series of paint correction. He showed on trunk lid on a heavly swirled up paint from swirl-o-matic how he does with sanding and polishing it out. Very interesting to see how little clearcoat he removed. Don't know if the clearcoat got a little swelled. Cause it where almost not measurable what amount of clearcoat he took off.

Did you do any measure reading afterwards to see how much you sanded and polished off?

Very interesting to see these Trizact discs you used.

/ Tony

Thanks Tony.

So it really only takes a few passes to get it right. The trizact cuts really well.

And the 8000 didn't flatten it a ton. Surprisingly it still has a decent amount of texture in areas.

I didn't take any after readings but if I had to guess it was very minimal material removed
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

9. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job, Justin.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review Justin. Excellent work and appreciate you sharing your experience with them!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been having fun with the new 8k Trizact discs too! Had a newer black VW with some hammered paint that was as hard as nails. I was reaching for the M101 and a PFW pad when my 3m rep walked in and handed me a few 8k discs. The 6" disc with a fairly stiff interface pad HANDLED BUSINESS on my G21. I went ahead and ordered a box each of the 3" and 6". One thing I've noticed with the 8k... Being such a fine grade, if you use much soap in your sanding lube it hydroplanes easier than the rest of the Trizact grades. I now keep a separate bottle of just straight distilled water to use with 8k.

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great I have been wanting to try the 8000 grit. Hopefully soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast