autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Racing Red Veloster N

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Not if you know how to drive in snow.............
    Oh I could make it through with good all seasons like Conti DWS06's but I'm spoiled with winter tires now since I had them on the Abarth the past 5 winter driving seasons. That little car, with THOSE tires, never got stuck and it had to go through a couple bad mornings too! I call it "poor man's AWD"Racing Red Veloster N

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Just curious.... what are you looking to gain by downsizing to 18 and getting more sidewall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First is better tire selection. Stock tires are a 235/35 19 so a very limited selection on a very short sidewall tire. With these tires you feel every single pebble on the road. A taller sidewall will help with that. Plus I hate the look of the tiny sidewall and the stock 19" wheels weigh arounv 32lbs each.

4. Likes Klasse Act, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Oh I could make it through with good all seasons like Conti DWS06's but I'm spoiled with winter tires now since I had them on the Abarth the past 5 winter driving seasons. That little car, with THOSE tires, never got stuck and it had to go through a couple bad mornings too! I call it "poor man's AWD"Racing Red Veloster N

I noticed in your previous post that you would be going +5 in width of the winter tires was that correct? To get a better handling on dry asphalt or when you drive in snow and slush?

My experience with winter handling on snow and slush and ice road. Is to get as small width that you get away with. To get the better handling on those conditions. And also what's recommended here in Sweden when you get new tires and has the option to get that little difference in the size of the tires. Is to go with the size smaller in width if you want to get more grip in the winter conditions. Then it's also of course the width of the rim in what width of the tire you can go down to. Take a look at the WRC Rally cars where they only drives on the snow roads vs the dry asphalt roads and you notice the big difference in the width of the tires. This is of course extreme LOL. But it's a little backways when it comes to the handling on winter roads and the tires width.

Looking forward to see the wheels you guys are getting. And WOW on the original size of tires on the Veloster N! Understandable that you feel anything you drive over with those wheels and tires.

6. Likes TNcoupe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the stock rims and OEM size for my winter set up, the +5mm is the addition offset of my upcoming 3 season rims, they're also .5" wider as well and again, for right now, using the tires that came on the car since they have so much meat on them...right now.

It's TRUE about the more narrow the better for winter driving, I'll ask about the availability of a 215/40/18 instead of its OEM size of 225/40/18.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'm using the stock rims and OEM size for my winter set up, the +5mm is the addition offset of my upcoming 3 season rims, they're also .5" wider as well and again, for right now, using the tires that came on the car since they have so much meat on them...right now.

It's TRUE about the more narrow the better for winter driving, I'll ask about the availability of a 215/40/18 instead of its OEM size of 225/40/18.

Just so you know going to a 215 will also make overall tire diameter smaller so you speedo will be off slightly

10. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Racing Red Veloster N

Just went thru this when i went up from a 245/60/18 on my envoy to a 265/60/18. Gained about a inch total overAll tire diameter.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh's wheel transformation will be a bigger deal than mine, no doubt it as he's adding an iconic look to his car! My wheel change is a bit more reserved but will change the look of my car though, no doubt about itRacing Red Veloster NRacing Red Veloster N

13. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNcoupe View Post
    First is better tire selection. Stock tires are a 235/35 19 so a very limited selection on a very short sidewall tire. With these tires you feel every single pebble on the road. A taller sidewall will help with that. Plus I hate the look of the tiny sidewall and the stock 19" wheels weigh arounv 32lbs each.
    Yeah I was just thinking of cornering. Taller side wall won’t corner as good but yeah shedding some weight would be nice. If their the wheels in video.... I think set up looks good.

But as I tell all my friends.... nice stock rims.... still stock... changing the shoes changes the car.

Excited to see your new set up.

15. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cornering between 235/35 19s and 245/40 18s will be negligible especially depending on tire compound. Its apples and oranges comparison but F1 cars still use 14" wheels and are just now testing 18". The reduction in rotational weight will be a greater difference than the difference in sidewall. I will be going from Pirelli P Zeros on my stock wheels to Conti Extreme Contact Sports on aftermarket wheels which I ran on my Focus ST and loved em. Best tire Ive ever driven in the rain. I push a car as much as possible on the street sometimes and I couldnt get the Continentals to even flinch in the rain.

17. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He does PUSH guys, trust meRacing Red Veloster N

19. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast