autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Polish Angel Cosmic V2 Coating - New BMW X5

This work was done over the 4th of July holiday but better late than never for posting! I had been waiting for months for a combination of dry weather (hard to come by in NJ this spring) and free time to apply a ceramic coating to our new X5. It finally came together this weekend and I applied Polish Angel Cosmic V2. Ceramic coatings are not known for all-out gloss but I chose this coating because of a generous amount of TiO2 along with the SiO2, trying to prioritize relative gloss over longevity (12mo instead of 24mo like some claim) not to mention this is one is more straightforward to apply.

I started on the evening of July 3rd when I removed the wheels, cleaned them, and treated them with their own ceramic coating (Pinnacle Black Diamond). Wheel removal was a must for such a thorough cleaning. On the morning of the 4th I was out at 7am to start the rest of the prep... clean the jambs, wash, iron remover, wash, clay, wash. After all of that it was time to polish using my new Rupes LHR15 Mk. III and the Polish Angel Invincible Primer. The Rupes made quick work of it compared to my PC (bigger pad and longer throw) and the Invincible Primer was an extremely mild polish, I think it was more about a chemical base than correction. After all of this prep. it was ~12PM and it was now time for the first application of Cosmic V2. It went on like a thick paint sealant with the supplied applicator which was nice compared to some other coatings which are very liquid. Wait 2hrs, remove, and apply a second coat. Wait 2hrs, remove, and hit it with Cosmic Spritz to accelerate the cure. At this point it was about 5PM. Around 7PM I noticed the first signs of dew starting to form so I backed it into our garage and scratched one of the fender flares on our new baby, ugh. Anyway it was a long involved process and it looks pretty good (there are products I know would give it more gloss but that's not 100% what I'm after here). Only time will tell if it was worth it.

On the 6th I did my biannual detail on my 340i using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. This detail was less involved than the X5 (no wheel removal, no iron remover, no polish step). A quality sealant and a black car at dusk are much more conducive to gloss shots than a white car earlier in the day.

Products used:

Wheel cleaning:
    Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
    Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner
    Meguiar's D111 Shampoo Plus
    Pinnacle Black Diamond Wheel Coating (X5)
    Tuff Shine Tire Clearcoat (not applied in some of the pics)

Jambs & engine bay:
    P21S Total Auto Wash

Finish prep.:
    Meguiar's D111 Shampoo Plus
    McKees 37 Iron Remover (X5)
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    Polish Angel Invincible Primer (X5)

LSP/Coating:
    Polish Angel Cosmic V2 (X5)
    Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz (X5)
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (340i)

Tools:
    Grit guards
    Various brushes
    Chenille wash mitt (wheels only)
    Merino wool wash mitt (finish only)
    Absorber chamois (one dedicated to jambs, one dedicated to finish)
    Painter's tape (X5)
    Rupes LHR Mark III DA polisher (X5)
    Supreme 530 microfiber
    Scangrip i-view headlamp (X5)

Here are pics of both cars.

2. Likes SWETM, DETAILROOKIE, acuRAS82, jdgamble liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish Angel Cosmic V2 Coating - New BMW X5

Very nice, that's a lot of work but hopefully you're happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work and write up and pictures!

Really liked your write up as it was very thoroughly written. And yeah white can be hard to say in the beginning of how it whent with the LSP looks wise. And since it's new to you car even harder than if it's a car you have done LSPs on before to compare with. The rear wheel picture when the sun is coming down is beutieful. And it's very hard to be doing a finish on a vehical justice in pictures of them. You can see a tad more on a video walk around. But nothing as to look at it with your own eyes.

Both your cars came out great! Great that you used the Invicible Primer as that is something many don't do. There you will have a big bump up in the longevity from it. The abrasives in it is very fine like a finishing polish or jeweling polish. Then you can get a slightly cut from it with a more aggressive pad. But it's the best finish you are after with a product like these primer polishes so a light polishing pad or finishing pad is the way to go with. The Rupes yellow foam pad is often a very good combo with it.

Just a question on the Cosmic v2. Why did you wait 2 hours before wipe it off?

/ Tony

5. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Likes gofast182 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply, Tony! I looked at the Polish Angel website for precise instructions and 2hrs between coats was their recommendation.

The kit wasn't cheap so I wanted to do all steps to maximize success which included the Invincible Primer (even though I was debating not doing it since we picked the car up new from the factory in Feb. and the paint was in nearly perfect shape). I used a white finishing pad on my Rupes because there was no real need to cut.

It went on like a paint sealant and so far is behaving like a paint sealant. Again, this is one of those situations where time will tell if it was worth it.

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice write up and results. The white looks great to me. The color doesn’t reflect much but you’ve certainly made it pop in that special way that white can.

9. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Tony! I looked at the Polish Angel website for precise instructions and 2hrs between coats was their recommendation.

The kit wasn't cheap so I wanted to do all steps to maximize success which included the Invincible Primer (even though I was debating not doing it since we picked the car up new from the factory in Feb. and the paint was in nearly perfect shape). I used a white finishing pad on my Rupes because there was no real need to cut.

It went on like a paint sealant and so far is behaving like a paint sealant. Again, this is one of those situations where time will tell if it was worth it.
    Nice write up. The white looks great.

Next time try machine applying the Cosmic. Since you have a PC do you a 3" backing Plate? I use a blue 4" finishing pad on my Rupes Mini. I just did my new Rogue with the same combination and machine applied the Cosmic. It goes on thinner and you get many more applications.

Here's a link to the write up I did on it.

New 2019 Nissan Rogue and Polish Angel Invincible Primer / Glass Coat Cosmic
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

^ thanks. The palm tree reflection shots on your hood are great. Funny, while doing the work I was thinking about getting a smaller backing place for the PC to get into tight areas now that I have the Rupes.

12. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on those! White came out very nice and the black is a mirror!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

14. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Likes gofast182 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So over the weekend I did my first wash since applying the coating. The first thing I noticed is how non-slick it is compared to a wax or sealant. It almost makes you question whether anything's there but the intense beading gives it away.

There were some droppings/fallout on the hood from a tree near where the car is parked, the coating didn't stop this from drying to the finish and needing some extra agitation to remove. Same for a few bugs on the front. Overall the car was pretty easy to clean, about as easy as I'd expect with a good sealant.

I wasn't expecting invincibility but I was expecting it to behave somewhat differently from a paint sealant. I guess that's not the measure, the measure will be if it still behaves like a paint sealant long after the paint sealant would've degraded.

The shine is nice...