autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking pretty good but still not satisfied!

It was only lightly covered with dust and pollen so I foamed it first, waited five minutes, then rinsed and wiped dry with a detailer spray, then wiped it down again with spray wax.

It definitely looks better than it did before but it still doesn't have the deep, glossy shine that I want.

Worse, when I was wiping down the hood, my microfiber cloth was "catching" in several areas, which I determined were particles imbedded in the paint.

So now it seems that I will have to get a clay bar and read the articles on this site in order to understand how to use it best. I also need to buy more microfiber towels.

My friends and family laugh at my obsession with keeping this car in pristine condition (don't even get me going about how often I detail the interior, lol) but the way I see it is protecting my investment.

On the plus side, two of my neighbors said that my car was the "prettiest" car on the block!

Looking pretty good but still not satisfied!-20190716_180242-1-jpg

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking pretty good but still not satisfied!

It's possibly Sap?

You can find vids on youtube as well. Mike Phillips shows the proper techniques for Claying.

Some guidelines are,
    Use plenty of lube
    Clay in the shade
    Let the clay do the work, no need to use extreme downward pressure usually
    Use the plastic sandwich bag method to help guide you.

If you're unfamiliar with using a plastic sandwich bag, it will considerably enhance your feel upon the paint. Use the thin sandwich bags, thinner is better. Notice the difference by feeling with a bare hand, then when inserting your hand within the bag to feel!

Feel before, and then after claying a panel. If you still feel bumpiness, continue again until the paint is smooth.

Regularly knead the clay as you go, then flatten into a pancake shape again, to create a clean surface face on the clay.

Don't forget the glass too, it gets cruddy with stuck on nasties as well.

4. Thanks Silvaria thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick with what you do and welcome to the obsessionLooking pretty good but still not satisfied!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Stick with what you do and welcome to the obsessionLooking pretty good but still not satisfied!
    ^^ this....but also remember cars are an expense not an investment 😐 Our obsession is more for fun and a marginal mitigation of loss down the road.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes BillE liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

"It was only lightly covered with dust and pollen so I foamed it first, waited five minutes, then rinsed and wiped dry with a detailer spray"
    This may be part of your issue. In my experience, foaming alone with out any agitation from a wash mitt etc. will not loosen any stuck on particles. Foaming alone has never worked for me, I use a boars hair brush after applying the foam to agitate the surface and loosen any dirt and particles, then rinse and dry.

9. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like MagsH2 said, I would want to give it a full regular wash with light agitation after foaming if that's your preferred method. I foam first, let it sit a minute or two and then LIGHTLY agitate to get stuck stuff off. Then do the ole "baggie test" after and clay if needed. Sounds like it needs it.

Don't be afraid to clay or nanoskin the paint. It's easy to do.

The real gloss and shine provider is machining the paint with polishes and let us know when you're ready for that! Again, it's easier than you might think...just more time consuming.

Basically, you want to thoroughly clean and then decontaminate the paint to remove as much of the shine robbing crud stuck on top of the paint first. Then, you cut, buff and polish to really brighten it up before locking it in with a wax, sealant or coating.