autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 Subaru WRX - I love this car!

Had the privilege of getting to work on this car again as the owner had gotten a new trunk and spoiler so it needed to be polished and coated. Also did a maintenance wash and full exterior detail including applying Reload to keep the coating looking

I'm a tuner guy at heart so getting to work on this car tickled me in ways that only you guys would understand

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Subaru WRX - I love this car!

Great vid, Detail Geek! Thanks for sharing it with is.

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking car!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 2016 WRX that was one of the most entertaining cars I ever owned, also the car with soft black paint that started me down the whole coating rabbit hole.

A turbocharged go-cart, the twin scroll turbos came in at lower rpm making for one entertaining ride, handled great and 4 wheel drifts in winter were a hoot.

Unfortunately as a daily driver it got old after about 18 months, by the time I got rid of it wife refused to ride in it. Guessing maybe while I thought *it* got old, the fact of the matter is that I guess *I* got old and unwilling to live with it's shortcomings at this age. Great car though, no regrets.

5. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I had a 2016 WRX that was one of the most entertaining cars I ever owned, also the car with soft black paint that started me down the whole coating rabbit hole.

A turbocharged go-cart, the twin scroll turbos came in at lower rpm making for one entertaining ride, handled great and 4 wheel drifts in winter were a hoot.

Unfortunately as a daily driver it got old after about 18 months, by the time I got rid of it wife refused to ride in it. Guessing maybe while I thought *it* got old, the fact of the matter is that I guess *I* got old and unwilling to live with it's shortcomings at this age. Great car though, no regrets.
    What exactly got "old"? And what did you replace it with? A minivan?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Great vid, Detail Geek! Thanks for sharing it with is.
    Thanks Paul!

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, if money wasn't considered I would have kept my RSX Type S as a project car when I bought my truck....kids came along and a 2 door car wasn't practical anymore

Can't say I've had the pleasure of driving a WRX (other than into my garage from my driveway) but I can only imagine how much fun they would be to drive. Sad to hear you had to get rid of it, but am curious what you traded up for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Great looking car!!

Thanks dude!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    What exactly got "old"? And what did you replace it with? A minivan?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailGeek View Post
    Honestly, if money wasn't considered I would have kept my RSX Type S as a project car when I bought my truck....kids came along and a 2 door car wasn't practical anymore

Can't say I've had the pleasure of driving a WRX (other than into my garage from my driveway) but I can only imagine how much fun they would be to drive. Sad to hear you had to get rid of it, but am curious what you traded up for?
    The ride was a bit harsh, the factory tune was odd..kinda jerky. While the twin scroll turbo was great at lower RPM, thing kinda fell flat on it's face under WOT at about 4500rpm. It was actually preferable to hoon down a freeway on ramp at 90% throttle, felt faster overall. Weird factory tune.

Also the clutch/tranny on the 6spd took a bit of attention to drive completely smoothly and my daily 80-mile commute is in freeways that are often stop and go...a bad combo. The factory shifter was total garbage, long throws and mushy feel. Fixed that for the most part with aftermarket bushings and shift stops

At 6' 2", 205 lbs the highly bolstered (and not excessively padded) seats were OK for me but many found them very restrictive.

Also, the need for a 2nd set of winter tires and wheels (with associated TPMS recalibration), the need for 5k mile rotations (AWD) and oil changes...it all just became a PITA to me.

Coulda addressed some of the driveability stuff with an aftermarket tune but modding like that is in my past as well I think.

I was coming out of a winter/summer car situation, driving a 2013 Mustang GT 6-spd and a throwaway 2005 Saturn Ion, was tired of dealing with (in addition to wifes winter/summer cars) 4 cars, 2 car garage scenario. Thought the Subie would be a good single car, kinda fun car solution that I could drive year round in NE Ohio. And it was for a while.

We replaced my wifes winter car in Oct 2016 w a new, cheap, mid-level Honda Civic Coupe, keyless, push button start, moonroof and after driving that a bit, realized just how *easy* that was to live with...just get in car, hit button and drive, change oil every 10k miles, filter every 20k. Yep, I'd become that lazy!

Civic was too small, light and weak for me to live with every day so looked around and found a new 2017 Honda Accord V6 Coupe...with an automatic trans, a first for me in a daily driver since 1994. It's just such an easy, comfortable car to live with and isn't *totally* lame w the V6 although in 42k miles I think I have yet to go WOT with it so maybe me worrying about power is just dumb and irrelevant at this point.

I'm thinking about maybe getting something new this year or next, currently top of list is maybe Infinity Q60 RedSport or Lexus RC F... power and easy, comfortable driving seems to be what I want now. I guess I am getting old.

Although every Spring I still ponder a variety of fun, focused cars as toys (ie Mustang) before I get reminded of the logistical irritations of 4 cars, 2 car garage.

Edit: I'm also trying to kick my addiction to black cars as well cuz I'm getting tired of trying to keep those looking consistently good with little effort. Have not yet cured that affliction...but actually considered other colors w recent purchase of wifes new 'fun' car before going with black. Baby steps...

Post Thanks / Like

The ride was a bit harsh, the factory tune was odd..kinda jerky. While the twin scroll turbo was great at lower RPM, thing kinda fell flat on it's face under WOT at about 4500rpm. It was actually preferable to hoon down a freeway on ramp at 90% throttle, felt faster overall. Weird factory tune.

Also the clutch/tranny on the 6spd took a bit of attention to drive completely smoothly and my daily 80-mile commute is in freeways that are often stop and go...a bad combo. The factory shifter was total garbage, long throws and mushy feel. Fixed that for the most part with aftermarket bushings and shift stops

At 6' 2", 205 lbs the highly bolstered (and not excessively padded) seats were OK for me but many found them very restrictive.

Also, the need for a 2nd set of winter tires and wheels (with associated TPMS recalibration), the need for 5k mile rotations (AWD) and oil changes...it all just became a PITA to me.

Coulda addressed some of the driveability stuff with an aftermarket tune but modding like that is in my past as well I think.

I was coming out of a winter/summer car situation, driving a 2013 Mustang GT 6-spd and a throwaway 2005 Saturn Ion, was tired of dealing with (in addition to wifes winter/summer cars) 4 cars, 2 car garage scenario. Thought the Subie would be a good single car, kinda fun car solution that I could drive year round in NE Ohio. And it was for a while.

We replaced my wifes winter car in Oct 2016 w a new, cheap, mid-level Honda Civic Coupe, keyless, push button start, moonroof and after driving that a bit, realized just how *easy* that was to live with...just get in car, hit button and drive, change oil every 10k miles, filter every 20k. Yep, I'd become that lazy!

Civic was too small, light and weak for me to live with every day so looked around and found a new 2017 Honda Accord V6 Coupe...with an automatic trans, a first for me in a daily driver since 1994. It's just such an easy, comfortable car to live with and isn't *totally* lame w the V6 although in 42k miles I think I have yet to go WOT with it so maybe me worrying about power is just dumb and irrelevant at this point.

I'm thinking about maybe getting something new this year or next, currently top of list is maybe Infinity Q60 RedSport or Lexus RC F... power and easy, comfortable driving seems to be what I want now. I guess I am getting old.

Although every Spring I still ponder a variety of fun, focused cars as toys (ie Mustang) before I get reminded of the logistical irritations of 4 cars, 2 car garage.

Edit: I'm also trying to kick my addiction to black cars as well cuz I'm getting tired of trying to keep those looking consistently good with little effort. Have not yet cured that affliction...but actually considered other colors w recent purchase of wifes new 'fun' car before going with black. Baby steps...
    I don't know much about WRX's but I can see where you're coming from on the factory shifter...it was one of the things I noticed even just backing in and out of the garage...my RSX-S was like butter compared to the WRX. Reading your other comments, it's so funny that as we get older the things that seemed "fun" or "cool" about our tuner cars is just annoying now - it's a definite sign of getting old. Although there is certainly something to be said for owning a vehicle that is just easy - nice ride, power on tap, and well-built. I say if you've got the money to afford it, go for it!

I feel you on the 2 car garage though....there's just never enough space in our garages for all our tools/toys is there

12. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast