autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Single Stage Benz Resto! (Pic heavy)

Hello my Autogeek Online Forum Family.

I have another Show N’ Shine to share with y’all. This Mercedes Benz Sprinter made its way into the shop with a hopeful owner enquiring whether or not we could make it look a bit better as she no longer needed the vehicle as its set up for wheelchair access & sadly her husband had passed & she wanted to sell it.

Upon inspection I had feared the worst for the top surfaces but decided to try a little test spot by hand on the bonnet (hood) to gauge if it was salvageable.

On a microfibre applicator I tried some 3D HD Speed & to my surprise it yielded rather impressive results much to the owners excitement & I have to admit - mine too. An appointment was scheduled & to keep the price reasonable we agreed to do a thorough wash of the exterior but concentrate on the revival of the paint first & foremost.

So I knew HD Speed could do the job (bearing in mind this isn’t a multi step show car finish I’m chasing) but figured a dedicated polishing step would be a quicker option.
    Flex 3401 equipped with Lake Country Orange Hybrid Force pads & 3D HD Speed was my method of attack on the roof, & although this was a slower way to go it eliminated the need for a further step, thus making it faster.

A couple of pictures taken of the roof in progress. Who’s that on the shop TV in the background?

I switched it up for the remaining parts - still my trusty Flex 3401 but this time Lake Country Orange SDO pads were used because the ‘bite’ wasn’t needed as much on the vertical panels. 3D ONE was Polish of choice but did leave a slight DA Haze, even a softer pad choice didn’t change this significantly so I stuck with the Orange SDO’s.

Refining & sealing I done in one step (budget conscious) with HD Speed on CarPro Gloss pads & with great results. Even after a thorough IPA panel wipe to check my haze was gone, I was still happy.

Onto the pictures - I’ll start with a couple of 50/50 shots, then some before & after a & then just a couple of ‘beauty’ shots . . . Uhh, well as much as a MB Sprinter can be called a ‘beauty’ anyhow.

Yeah, I know - a bit picture heavy. I’ll finish up with a few ‘beauty’ pictures & we’re done.

There ya go, all done.

I know this is a pretty boring canvas is all reality but I enjoyed turning this around just as much as working in a SIV, the process was fun& the results were rewarding . . . It’s just a bit yawn to look at.

Thank you all for stopping by & checking it out.

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, cullen2505, ttopak, VISITOR, fly07sti and 7 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single Stage Benz Resto! (Pic heavy)

Boring canvas?

Dude....... Whatever you touch turns to gold. (Or whatever color you're working on..... Lol)

You do incredible work Aaryn, and all of us on this forum are lucky that you share it with us.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes VISITOR, Paul A., JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic results! Love the 50/50 pics.

6. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is superb work Aaryn. It is hard to believe that a simple application of HD Speed could yield those results. I was also impressed with the fact that you started your post with “y’all”. During my many visits to Texas, I found out that y’all actually has a plural form. The plural of y’all is “all y’all”.

8. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is an amazing transformation! Great work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Two words....

FREAKING AMAZING!

You get so many cool cars to detail Aaryn - I'm officially jealous.

I'm surprise this van is painted with single stage paint? For those that might be new to detailing, in the history of "The Car", we've only had 2 general groups or categories of car paint.

1. Single Stage
    2. Basecoat/Clearcoat

Single stage solvent evaporation paints
    Single stage started when the car was invented and went through a lot of changes to make it more durable but the unique characteristic about single stage paints is that it OXIDIZES. That is, exposed to the free radicals in the air it breaks down and when it breaks down this shows up as a chalky appearance like you see in the before and 50/50 shots Aaryn captured.

Basecoat/Clearcoat catalyzed paints
    Basecoat/Clearcoat paints were first introduced to American manufactured cars in 1980 with the Chevrolet Corvette to be the first American made cars to receive the PPG Deltron Series basecoat/clearcoat paint system. It took another decade or two for all car manufacturers to switch from shooting single stage lacquers and enamels to the new BC/CC paint systems but everyone did eventually switch over because they had to for 2 reasons. If anyone is interested in the 2 reasons let me know and I'll share why.

The unique characteristic about basecoat/clearcoat paint systems that make them different from single stage paint is because of their chemical make-up and their hardness, (hard compared to single stage paint), they are a LOT less likely to oxidize but a LOT more likely to become filled with swirls and scratches.

When you scratch something CLEAR, like the clear layer of paint in a basecoat/clearcoat paint system, the scratch is opaque or whitish. With a color coat of paint, (called the basecoat), is a medium to dark color under the clearcoat, the swirls and scratches make the paint opaque or whitish and this clouds your view to the color coat underneath.

So,

Single stage = oxidation

Basecoat/Clearcoat = swirls and scratches

Just thought I would share the above because many people new to car detailing are young enough that all they know, see and work on are basecoat/clearcoat paint system.

It's fairly rare to get to work on single stage paint, especially when it comes to classic cars painted before 1980.

As you can see from Aryan's pictures - oxidized single stage paint systems make for very dramatic before and after shots. And most people would agree very cool and even powerful pictures.

My personal favorite paint to work on is antique single stage paint simply because it's REAL paint, that is resin with pigment. Modern clearcoats are closer to plastic.

Thank you for sharing Aaryn and OUCH! - that's a LOT of real-estate to buff out.

Like you, I would have used the BEAST with a great one-step cleaner/wax and 3D Speed is very good.

p.s.

Looking forward to January 2020 when you and your family return to the U.S. for a visit. I'm already working on putting together a special project here at Autogeek for you and any of our forum members that would like to join in.

12. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Likes Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Those 50/50 pics are what all of us detailers want in our portfolios. Infreakingcredible Homie.

14. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have often said those jobs are my personal favorites because the results are so striking. Every job is rewarding to me...like most if not all here. But there's a difference in those "SIV's" that might go from already shiny to show car shiny and a "utility" or neglected vehicle to THAT!

Stunning work, Aaryn, and evidences your pro level approach to both assessment and applied skills.

Boring canvas? On the contrary...

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work, 50/50's and transformation! It came out stunning! Owner must be thrilled...it is now worth a substantial amount more! Great job Aaryn!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to quote Mike, FREAKING AMAZING!
    I didn't even read the text. that's unbelievable holy crap, excellent job. the woman doesn't have anything to be happy about, but I'm sure She was happy with your work. I was ready to dig in my pocket and kick in for the detail. awesome work Sir.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast