autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Ute Restoration Kiwi Style.

Hello my Autogeek Online Family & friends.

So, this Toyota Hilux is the truck that saw a picture I took of my test spot go crazy in the Instagram world, & it came up somewhere again the other day & I thought - I don’t think I shared this on AGO.

I had a look but I couldn’t find it so I guess I never made a thread about it.

So here goes.

I have a reputation around these parts for turning around truck like this & that’s mainly because there are stacks of trucks (utes as we call them) around these parts. The owner of this one had not long owned it at the time, he purchased it New & he lived almost 100 miles away in another City/Town.

Being his first “New” car purchased he was quite proud of it & wanted to take good care of it. Here’s where it gets ugly!

He decided to throw his dog box on the back one day & head for the hills for a pig hunt. A wee way off the beaten track the path he had taken got narrow & well, we call it “bush bashing” down under. Little did he know that the shrubbery he was driving through was doing its best to wreak his new paintwork . . .

To cut the story short by a long way - he found us, we agreed to take a look at it, educated him, & at the end of the day we came to an understanding that if I were to carry out any work he would have to refrain from taking this one bush again. He really wanted to have a Ceramic Coating installed & I was hesitant but we agreed that I would carry out this request but no warranty would be given & more education followed . . .

Anyway, on to the truck in question - these pictures were taken after wash, decontamination etc & ouch! It was ugly!

Pretty nasty huh!

My first attempt at a test spot didn’t wield great results, we would’ve got there in the end I guess but I’m thinking it would have taken twice as long. Best results & a whole lot faster were had with this combination - Flex 3401, Lake Country Manufacturing Low Lint Wool Pads & CarPro ClearCUT for the chopping!
    Flex 3401, Lake Country Manufacturing White Hybrid Force Pads, Meguiars M205 for the polishing & the refining was again - Flex 3401, CarPro Gloss Pads & CarPro Essence.

This next picture is the one that went a little crazy on Instagram, not viral but certainly a fair bit of interest. This is ONLY & I really mean ONLY Lake Country Manufacturing Low Lint Wool & CarPro ClearCUT, that’s it. Not bad huh.

That’s about all I can say. The rest was simply - Chop, Polish, Refine, Repeat.
    Ceramic Coating was installed & everyone was happy.

I’ll leave you with the beauty shots . . .

Thank you all for stopping by & checking it out.

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

2. Thanks ttopak thanked for this post
    Likes ttopak, JKDesign, cullen2505, mc2hill, Diner and 10 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Ute Restoration Kiwi Style.

Wow. I don't know man I think you have me covered in the black paint department lol.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post
    Wow. I don't know man I think you have me covered in the black paint department lol.

Haha, thank you Justin.

A dramatic turnaround for sure but my vote is still with you for the master of black.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

That test spot is insane! Amazing how long the abrasive technology has come. In what a finish a heavy cut compound can get you. Then the refinement is awesome and the depth is deeeeep. Awesome work and write up and pictures Aaryn!

Just hope the owner learned his lesson and what you educated him with stuck. Run if you see him again LOL. But since get to you from a long way can meen he meent business with taking care of the ute from now on.

An almost neighbor to me has a show car that is 2 years since custom painted in Star Wars theme. Saw it this weekend and swirl city already. Thinking about ask him to do a correction on it. If he decides to take it out on the show car road this season too. Will see how he see it. Cause he is a painter and can be a little sensitive to point out what would be good to do LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Aaryn! That test spot pic is insane! I cant get over the outcome. Well done good sir!

What was the test spot consisting of that you didn't mention?

Thank for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow,that is some major correction!
    In my 5 months of hanging out on this forum with lots of reading
    and video watching i think this is the biggest contrast i have seen.

You do some awesome work.

Post Thanks / Like

That's stunning for an initial compound cut and, I agree...the abrasive advancements have made that possible. Of course, your skill plus advanced abrasives that is.

I can understand how that dramatic shot got so much interest.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Just when I thought that sprinter van was such a dramatic turnaround, you post this. You my friend are extremely talented and I hope that when we book our trip out your way that I’ll get to do some polishing in your shop and pick up some of secrets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    That test spot is insane! Amazing how long the abrasive technology has come. In what a finish a heavy cut compound can get you. Then the refinement is awesome and the depth is deeeeep. Awesome work and write up and pictures Aaryn!

Just hope the owner learned his lesson and what you educated him with stuck. Run if you see him again LOL. But since get to you from a long way can meen he meent business with taking care of the ute from now on.

An almost neighbor to me has a show car that is 2 years since custom painted in Star Wars theme. Saw it this weekend and swirl city already. Thinking about ask him to do a correction on it. If he decides to take it out on the show car road this season too. Will see how he see it. Cause he is a painter and can be a little sensitive to point out what would be good to do LOL.

Thank you Tony my friend.

Agreed! The abrasive technology available today is incredible for sure.

Haha, yeah mate - I have wondered many times what this Toyota looks like now but it’s probably nicer not to know & just pretend that it still looks stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Wow Aaryn! That test spot pic is insane! I cant get over the outcome. Well done good sir!

What was the test spot consisting of that you didn't mention?

Thank for sharing.

Thank you Mike.

Ahh, yes right. First off I went the Orange LC SDO with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover, & I went that way because typically these Hilux utes are on the soft side but results were little better than an AIO. Next up I switched over to a LC Hybrid Force (Orange) & Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover which was a lot better but didn’t get the moderate marring enough for my liking.

I then kept the LC Orange Hybrid Force but went to CarPro ClearCUT. This had the cut I wanted but not the finish. After six/eight passes the paint was getting a bit on the hot side & although the cut was strong it was leaving haze like crazy.

I figured going to Wool & less passes would keep the heat down but still retain the cut I was looking for, little did I expect I was going to have a finish like this.

I always knew I was going to have to do multiple steps but the time saved in the initial cut was key to keeping within budget, timeframes & quality of finish for the customer.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment buddy. Great question too.

Aaryn NZ.

11. Likes Mike@DedicatedPerfection, Celabe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXBKS View Post
    Wow,that is some major correction!
    In my 5 months of hanging out on this forum with lots of reading
    and video watching i think this is the biggest contrast i have seen.

You do some awesome work.

Thanks MAXBKS.

Thank you for the kind words my friend, much appreciated. 5 Months in yeah! I hope you’re having fun being part of the AGO family.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    That's stunning for an initial compound cut and, I agree...the abrasive advancements have made that possible. Of course, your skill plus advanced abrasives that is.

I can understand how that dramatic shot got so much interest.
    Thank you Paul A.

Yeah, all the ducks lined up that day for sure! Paint, Paint condition, Tool, Pad, Compound, Technique, Results, Weather, Timing all played a part in the dramatic picture! Imagine the opportunity lost if it had been a cloudy day.

I sure am grateful for the innovators in the industry for producing products & tools that work so well.

Thanks for chiming in Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    WOW! Just when I thought that sprinter van was such a dramatic turnaround, you post this. You my friend are extremely talented and I hope that when we book our trip out your way that I’ll get to do some polishing in your shop and pick up some of secrets.

Thank you my Brother!

Haha, thanks Don.

Oh for sure Bro! I’m gonna double book for a few days when you’re here! Hahaha!
    You know you’re always welcome down here with your beautiful Ladies mate. Must flick you an email regarding December too. We have our flight details sorted, tickets paid for etc . . . USA here we come!

Aaryn NZ.

13. Likes fly07sti liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast