autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single Stage Benz Resto! (Pic heavy)

Very nice work Aaryn! You really showed your talent in getting the van in shape on a budget. Well done good sir.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's an awesome result on a heavy oxidized paint! The 50/50 shots is incredible and no boring at all for me to look at. This will get the customer a little easier to sell the van. And with her husband passing away it's something that hopefully makes it a little easier to sell the van to someone other in need for it.

Awesome work and write up and pictures Aaryn!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Boring canvas?

Dude....... Whatever you touch turns to gold. (Or whatever color you're working on..... Lol)

You do incredible work Aaryn, and all of us on this forum are lucky that you share it with us.
    Thank you PaulMys!

Awh geeze, I appreciate the kind words my friend, very humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by cullen2505 View Post
    Fantastic results! Love the 50/50 pics.
    Cheers cullen2505.

Thank you for taking the time to comment mate.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    That is superb work Aaryn. It is hard to believe that a simple application of HD Speed could yield those results. I was also impressed with the fact that you started your post with “y’all”. During my many visits to Texas, I found out that y’all actually has a plural form. The plural of y’all is “all y’all”.
    Thank you UncleDavy.

Hehehe, well “all y’all” are good people here on the forum!

I admit, I did not expect Speed to produce what it did with a quick attempt by hand, it certainly surprised me - I figured via machine was gonna be a lot better & I was right. The added ‘cut’ from 3D ONE removed an amount of swirls & light marring along the sides & obviously enhanced the gloss before finishing off with Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by irvsmith View Post
    That is an amazing transformation! Great work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers irvsmith.

Much appreciated.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

4. Likes irvsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

one of the best write-ups ever, your skill set proven once again!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    WOW! Those 50/50 pics are what all of us detailers want in our portfolios. Infreakingcredible Homie.
    Thank you my Brother.

Yeah Don, I agree. I was looking forward to turning this one around & the results were spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I have often said those jobs are my personal favorites because the results are so striking. Every job is rewarding to me...like most if not all here. But there's a difference in those "SIV's" that might go from already shiny to show car shiny and a "utility" or neglected vehicle to THAT!

Stunning work, Aaryn, and evidences your pro level approach to both assessment and applied skills.

Boring canvas? On the contrary...
    Thank you Paul A.

Too kind Paul, thank you. You know, I cop a bit of flack here in NZ from other Detailers, because I often work on trashed utes (trucks) with dirty interiors & scratched up paint or even something like this Mercedes Benz & a few appear to have the opinion that this work is beneath them. Me - well I enjoy doing the hard yards & getting dirty just as much as producing a show car shine on an exotic, classic or hot rod.

As much as I wished the circumstances were different for the owner, I cannot lie - I was looking forward to this one & enjoyed every minute of it too.

Thank you for your comments my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Excellent work, 50/50's and transformation! It came out stunning! Owner must be thrilled...it is now worth a substantial amount more! Great job Aaryn!
    Thank you Scott.

Appreciate it buddy.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    I would like to quote Mike, FREAKING AMAZING!
    I didn't even read the text. that's unbelievable holy crap, excellent job. the woman doesn't have anything to be happy about, but I'm sure She was happy with your work. I was ready to dig in my pocket and kick in for the detail. awesome work Sir.
    Thanks hmardown.

Indeed she was, she got a little choked up at sight of it at collection time.

Thank you buddy, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Very nice work Aaryn! You really showed your talent in getting the van in shape on a budget. Well done good sir.
    Cheers Mike.

Thank you for taking the time my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Wow that's an awesome result on a heavy oxidized paint! The 50/50 shots is incredible and no boring at all for me to look at. This will get the customer a little easier to sell the van. And with her husband passing away it's something that hopefully makes it a little easier to sell the van to someone other in need for it.

Awesome work and write up and pictures Aaryn!
    Thank you Tony.

Always appreciate your comments Tony.

I’m sure someone in need will. The owner even talked about “gifting” it to someone who could benefit from its capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    one of the best write-ups ever, your skill set proven once again!!
    Cheers VISITOR.

Wow! You’re too kind my friend, thank you.

Aaryn NZ.

8. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Two words....

FREAKING AMAZING!

You get so many cool cars to detail Aaryn - I'm officially jealous.

I'm surprise this van is painted with single stage paint? For those that might be new to detailing, in the history of "The Car", we've only had 2 general groups or categories of car paint.

1. Single Stage
    2. Basecoat/Clearcoat

Single stage solvent evaporation paints
    Single stage started when the car was invented and went through a lot of changes to make it more durable but the unique characteristic about single stage paints is that it OXIDIZES. That is, exposed to the free radicals in the air it breaks down and when it breaks down this shows up as a chalky appearance like you see in the before and 50/50 shots Aaryn captured.

Basecoat/Clearcoat catalyzed paints
    Basecoat/Clearcoat paints were first introduced to American manufactured cars in 1980 with the Chevrolet Corvette to be the first American made cars to receive the PPG Deltron Series basecoat/clearcoat paint system. It took another decade or two for all car manufacturers to switch from shooting single stage lacquers and enamels to the new BC/CC paint systems but everyone did eventually switch over because they had to for 2 reasons. If anyone is interested in the 2 reasons let me know and I'll share why.

The unique characteristic about basecoat/clearcoat paint systems that make them different from single stage paint is because of their chemical make-up and their hardness, (hard compared to single stage paint), they are a LOT less likely to oxidize but a LOT more likely to become filled with swirls and scratches.

When you scratch something CLEAR, like the clear layer of paint in a basecoat/clearcoat paint system, the scratch is opaque or whitish. With a color coat of paint, (called the basecoat), is a medium to dark color under the clearcoat, the swirls and scratches make the paint opaque or whitish and this clouds your view to the color coat underneath.

So,

Single stage = oxidation

Basecoat/Clearcoat = swirls and scratches

Just thought I would share the above because many people new to car detailing are young enough that all they know, see and work on are basecoat/clearcoat paint system.

It's fairly rare to get to work on single stage paint, especially when it comes to classic cars painted before 1980.

As you can see from Aryan's pictures - oxidized single stage paint systems make for very dramatic before and after shots. And most people would agree very cool and even powerful pictures.

My personal favorite paint to work on is antique single stage paint simply because it's REAL paint, that is resin with pigment. Modern clearcoats are closer to plastic.

Thank you for sharing Aaryn and OUCH! - that's a LOT of real-estate to buff out.

Like you, I would have used the BEAST with a great one-step cleaner/wax and 3D Speed is very good.

p.s.

Looking forward to January 2020 when you and your family return to the U.S. for a visit. I'm already working on putting together a special project here at Autogeek for you and any of our forum members that would like to join in.

Thank you Mike.

As always, I appreciate your comments.

We absolutely share the passion for Single Stage paint.

Yeah, I’m not sure why they painted these in Single Stage but I have seen a few in different colours & pretty much every one I have seen has bad oxidation. I have a blue one scheduled from the results achieved from this one. I’ll be sure to take pictures of this one too.

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

I worked on more Single Stage paint today. A 2005 Nissan Vanette Van in Single Stage White. I remember reading about Single Stage White paint in this article you wrote & this article explains why it isn’t as fun working with Single Stage White.

The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

I have an idea on the reasons they stopped using enamels & Single Stage lacquers but i’d Only be guessing. Please do share Mike.

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

p.s.

Looking forward to January 2020 when you and your family return to the U.S. for a visit. I'm already working on putting together a special project here at Autogeek for you and any of our forum members that would like to join in.

Outstanding Mike!

I like that idea! I like that idea a lot. I know it’s not my place to invite people to but I’d sure like to see some of our forum family come along & make this INCREDIBLE! It’s a long way to come, it’d be great to put some faces to the names.

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing! Single stage jobs can yield some of the most dramatic changes. As always you killed it and I'm sure your client was beside himself!

Keep killing it brother!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast