autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1937 Chevrolet Truck.

Hello folks.

Easter Monday here in New Zealand & I’ve treated myself to spending the last four days hangin’ out with my gorgeous family.

Had a little time this morning to get amongst it & do some reading/browsing & the odd comment here & figured I throw a few pictures of something together & make a “Show N’ Shine” of this neat ‘37 Truck.

Gill Consttuction is a local construction company here in my home town ‘ although I know little about their history I do know they have been around a long time.

Recently they contacted me to carry out some detailing on this beauty for display purposes for an agricultural/farm machinery show & I was all too happy to schedule it in.

The restoration on the ‘37 was carried out a couple of years ago & on initial inspection it was pretty clear there had never been any ‘finishing’ work carried out. The paintwork felt like 60 grit sandpaper!!! There was overspray on all the bright work & I doubt they had ever shut the doors or windows before, during or after restoration was carried out because the interior was a mess.

Cardinal sin not having any ‘before’ pictures to show the true story but the Weather didn’t play nice for that part.

Because of the condition it arrived in I had little choice but to carry out a traditional wash process - full decontamination, chemical/mechanical, the chassis, deck, engine all received a thorough scrub down. Drying it off & bringing it into the shop for further inspection & a test spot to be carried out revealed this wasn’t a base/clear paint system & my heart sank a little.

I love working with single stage paint & I knew the potential this truck had but I was confined to the clients budget & wishes but set about doing the best I could for everyone.

The interior was incredibly dusty & my concerns about the painted surfaces were erased after a gentle waterless wash showed they were in good shape & not all scratched up like I had expected. These received a good wipe down with CarPro Reload & looked the biz. The uncoated leather seat got a carefull cleaning with a leather soap & conditioner (un-named brand) & was left soft, supple & stunning. Rubber floor mat was heavily ribbed & horribly dirty. I attacked this with an APC & vapour steam to achieve best results.

Following the interior I set about going over the bright work, wheels, chassis rails etc & engine compartment with 3D HD Speed by hand.

Onto the paintwork. On the softer side & to get the ‘cut’ I wanted meant haze or holograms, so for best results three steps were going to be required in a two step time frame.
    Going the Rotary route for the initial cutting was going to be the fastest way to do this so the Cordless Flex PE 150 was called up, Lake Country Orange Hybrid pads & 3D ONE carried out the grunt work.

Hologram removal & refining the finish was done with the Flex 3401, Lake Country Orange SDO pads & again - (using Justin Sherwood’s technique of not wiping off the residue from the previous step) 3D ONE.

To finish off I enlisted the help of the Flex XFE15-150 Cordless polisher, CarPro Gloss Pads & CarPro Essence Plus to give it that super slick feel & glossy punch that Essence Plus delivers.

Tyres dressed with CarPro Perl & Glass dome with Meguiars D120.

A couple of pictures of the paint condition before polishing.

Fairly ugly to say the least.

Random picture of the gang taking a break.

A picture to show that I do actually get my hands dirty.

Right, onto the beauty shots.

Like I mentioned - I would love to have taken this further in terms of results but alas, I still have to treat this as a business. Results weren’t all that bad to be fair.

Thank you all for checkin’ in & taking a look. Happy Easter everyone.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

2. Thanks Misterpaul, JKDesign thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75, Misterpaul, Rmd, VISITOR, fly07sti and 5 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1937 Chevrolet Truck.

Stunning turnaround! Is the yellow hand the turn signal?

Happy Easter to you as well.
    2017 Phantom Black Metallic Chevy SS, automatic, skylight, plus unused wheel in the boot.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

What a beautiful truck and fantastic job of detailing it. I would love to drive that to the feed store and get a few bags of corn.......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Aaryn! Looks really good! Nice single stage!!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Niiiice. Love that blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a cool truck! And what a nice job bud. That thing looks incredible.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Mike Phillips

Wow!

That is an incredibly cool work truck! The paint looked hammered! Just like you would expect the paint to look on a working work truck.

Great to see you using the FLEX PE14 Cordless Rotary for the major correction steps. I told Bob Eichelberg at Barrett-Jackson about you and your passion for the craft. Mentioned you would be a great candidate for any prototypes in the future as well as early release of the CBEAST.

You truly work on a LOT of cool cars. You have built-up a reputation that the owners of any cool cars in New Zealand find out about you and then trust you with their toys.

Even better is when these people trust you with their cars they have chosen wisely. Just as important as the work is going to be done right the first time is the fact that it won't be done wrong. Paint is thin - you want the right guy the first time.

Thanks always for sharing your incredible work Aaryn.

Post Thanks / Like

That is incredible!!!

Really nice job, brother!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast