autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

1st Use: Megs HCW

I went ahead and took advantage of today's heat wave (48*) and picked up a bottle of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax at Advance Auto ($14.99 + tax with a $5.00 online rebate).

The car was in dire need of a good wash since it hasn't been touched in months and was a bit crusty with salt.
    Using a fairly strong wash mix ... 3 oz of Hyperwash to 5 gallons of water, I hosed off as much of the crusted salt as I could, then did an involved two bucket wash.

Once the car was clean and still wet, I started with the HCW. Between the directions and what I've seen on the internet, I decided to spray it on and wipe it in. I have the strong feeling that I used too much. It IS thick and comes out of the bottle in a heavy spray.

I sprayed it on and wiped it in, the mf quickly became soaked and I probably made a mistake by not wringing it out, but I kept wiping it in until I went over the whole car.

The HCW was on the paint THICK and I didn't see it coming off easily so I decided to try the hose off method. Apparently my hose doesn't have enough pressure to work the HCW off the car, so after getting the car totally soaked again, I began with a fresh microfiber and began drying the car - wringing the towel out this time and it did fairly well removing the haze of the HCW. Once I had dried the whole car, It looked similar to after applying Ultimate Fast Finish, but before wiping off the residue.

So as a final wipe, I took a second fresh, slightly damp cloth and lightly went over the car. This did a fantastic job of removing the 'high spots' that remained.

Once finished, I used the back of my hand and felt the finish. It felt very similar to UFF using my hand, but not quite as slick when wiped with a mf.

It's supposed to rain tonight and maybe tomorrow, so if it does, perhaps I'll take the car out and check out the beading.
    I know it didn't happen unless there are pics, so here they are. The car actually looks better in person, my phone's camera has been acting up.

Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, AZpolisher15, SWETM, Diner liked this post
    Dislikes derass disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st Use: Megs HCW

Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I tried a second, dry application a few hours later. Taking a clean, dry mf I sprayed it once with the HCW (for each panel) and going panel by panel, I wiped it on, then buffed it off with a new dry mf and buffed the panel.

It flashed pretty well and only left a few ... smears? high spots? that needed buffed off. The exterior glass came out crystal clear.

Time and probably some more experimentation will tell if it is worth the $11 (after rebate).
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    Between the directions and what I've seen
    on the internet, I decided to spray it on and
    wipe it in.

I sprayed it on and wiped it in, the mf quickly
    became soaked and I probably made a mistake
    by not wringing it out, but I kept wiping it in
    until I went over the whole car.

The HCW was on the paint THICK and I didn't
    see it coming off easily
    Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, so
    I tried a second, dry application a few hours later.
    •I know this may not be a popular idea;
    -but, IMO, in order to achieve the optimum
    results, then: it’s usually best to follow the
    manufacturers’ recommended directions
    when using their products.

-Are there exceptions? Of course!
    {However: not in this particular case, IMHO.}

•But, after all, it was your initial usage/learning
    stage of this particular Meguiar’s product.
    -Remember: No matter what has happened in
    the past, it doesn’t have the ability to keep you
    from having excellent results in the future.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

No argument from me. It's just that my garden hose/nozzle doesn't seem to have enough pressure to work the HCW properly, hence the variation on the application methods.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

No argument from me.
    It's just that my garden hose/nozzle doesn't
    seem to have enough pressure to work the
    HCW properly, hence the variation on the
    application methods.
    •Until the pressure of the available water source
    has been increased to a suitable level for HCW
    usage, I know that I would stay away from using
    HCW, and other similar products. That’s just me...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I tried a second, dry application a few hours later. Taking a clean, dry mf I sprayed it once with the HCW (for each panel) and going panel by panel, I wiped it on, then buffed it off with a new dry mf and buffed the panel.

It flashed pretty well and only left a few ... smears? high spots? that needed buffed off. The exterior glass came out crystal clear.

Time and probably some more experimentation will tell if it is worth the $11 (after rebate).
    I personally havent used it, but have read/seen on YouTube using a wet MF towel thats wrung out to apply it.

Also appears to need more pressure than some of the spray and rinse type products I've seen. Keep in mind once again based on videos I've seen.

I've thought about buying HCW to mix with some Ech2o for my final wipedown after a rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned, I can't leave well enough alone ...

39* with a 29* windchill

Getting the car out of the garage, even with the heavy cloud cover, I could see numerous smears/high spots so I took it to the coin-op this afternoon before the race and just using the high pressure rinse, I went over the car. After a few passes, I started getting the water beading/sheeting that I've seen in all the UTube videos.

After 5 minutes of rinsing, I pulled it to the vacuums to dry it off. Even in the cooler temps, it dried off like a dream. Absolutely no signs of smearing and the finish looked awesome. Granted, this isn't a full sun viewing, but still, it looks good.

My question now is was the high-pressure rinse necessary or would the hydrophobic properties have come out on their own after a day or two of rain or a few regular washes?
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Second application. Washed car & left wet. Then, starting at the top and going a panel at a time MISTED the HCW on the surface and then dried the panel completely. It went much easier and faster this time. Once done with the whole car, I took a clean, moderately damp mf cloth and wiped down the car again, removing what few, slight smears remained.

Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual